PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

S Dwayne Slay Texas Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayjoe

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I wanted to know what you think of Slay I watched him in the East-West Shrine game he was Big 12 Defensive player of the year and is a head knocker
was compared to Rodney Harrison during the game.

Dwayne Slay Sr Texas Tech 6'3 210

I've talked with him last year while doing a Red Raider game and he's not6 '3". More like 6'0" maybe 6'1". He played a lot of free safety at TT, and made a ton of plays. I think he had a half dozen forced fumbles, which tells you that he can hit.
He has a knack for being around the ball and he's a decent tackler. Another plus, he's a leader. Guys feed off of him. This is the type of guy that could be a ST demon as a rookie.
On the downside, he's not the fastest. Unless he goes to one of those speed camps between now and the draft, I'm thinking 4.6-4.65 range. The hips are tight. He'd need a year or two to learn the Pats coverages. Also his coverage/ball skills need help.
I think he can make the switch to SS in the NFL. If he runs 4.55 or better that might move him up to the 5th maybe 4th round.
We already have Sanders as our young SS of the future. I'm thinking we need a veteran at SS next season (or until Rodney is ready). However if Slay can be a ST demon, he would be worth us taking in the 5th.

Ochmed Jones said:
I've talked with him last year while doing a Red Raider game and he's not6 '3". More like 6'0" maybe 6'1". He played a lot of free safety at TT, and made a ton of plays. I think he had a half dozen forced fumbles, which tells you that he can hit.
He has a knack for being around the ball and he's a decent tackler. Another plus, he's a leader. Guys feed off of him. This is the type of guy that could be a ST demon as a rookie.
On the downside, he's not the fastest. Unless he goes to one of those speed camps between now and the draft, I'm thinking 4.6-4.65 range. The hips are tight. He'd need a year or two to learn the Pats coverages. Also his coverage/ball skills need help.
I think he can make the switch to SS in the NFL. If he runs 4.55 or better that might move him up to the 5th maybe 4th round.
We already have Sanders as our young SS of the future. I'm thinking we need a veteran at SS next season (or until Rodney is ready). However if Slay can be a ST demon, he would be worth us taking in the 5th.

Well from what I saw I like the guy and like my man Sean Salsbury says "Momma says Knock you out"

Last edited:
Ochmed -
Did you ever stop to think that the kid might have grown since you talked to him? You claim he isn't 6'3, but every draft site has him listed at 6'3.

What I have seen of him is that he runs the 40 in 4.83, not 4.55. That's what he'd get down to after the speed camps, maybe.

Growth Spurt????

I guess anything is possible by way of a late growth spurt. I heard that David Robinson joined the Navy at 6'6" and shot up to 7 foot.

4.83 is really slow. Like DT slow. I still think he's already faster than that. Those speed camps claim to get you a tenth or two of a second improvment in the 40. If Slay does run only a 4.83 then the speed camp wouldn't help him enough. He should start studying up on Canadian football league rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back