PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Game - optimism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Is there any reason for us all to be optimistic about Corey and our running game when we face denver of indy? Dillon didnt really get going, whether its our o lines fault or not. Anyone want to make me feel better about this? I dont see us being able to beat indy without a sufficient running game. Last year, we ran all over them in the playoffs.

How about the fact that the Patriots ran for 120 yards against the toughest, stoutest run D in the playoffs. Overall, I'd say there's reason for some optimism.

patsox23 said:
How about the fact that the Patriots ran for 120 yards against the toughest, stoutest run D in the playoffs. Overall, I'd say there's reason for some optimism.

Make that SECOND-toughest, stoutest.

Pass ran well against Denver.
Cory may not have his burst right now, but he still has power and can punish tacklers.
Faulk is a so-so runner....:eek:

The bad news: Graham's shoulder, he hasn't blocked with the same power and authority since he got hurt.
The alternative: Ashworth

WR running plays: Branch, Dwight, and Davis have all made good plays on reverses for us this season.

skri65 said:
Is there any reason for us all to be optimistic about Corey and our running game when we face denver of indy? Dillon didnt really get going, whether its our o lines fault or not. Anyone want to make me feel better about this? I dont see us being able to beat indy without a sufficient running game. Last year, we ran all over them in the playoffs.

I know what you mean... I find I have very little faith in Dillon anymore. I really like him as a player, but he's just not getting any results. Maybe Faulk did match up better against the Jags, but it just seemed like he did so much better yesterday with so much less to work with (6 carries??).

However, one of the things I love about the Patriots is that they're the only team I've ever seen that can win by passing 90% with the odd run to keep a team honest. Will it beat Indy? I don't know, but I'm hopeful.

As I see it, when Corey's in there, the passing game is always better. Other defenses must really focus on (and succeed in) stopping Dillon, but it comes at a cost to their pass coverage. When Dillon is out, we don't get that benefit, and we lose a lot. Everyone still must be game planning for Dillon --- there's your cause for optimism.

Dillon

I was in the end zone last night and I had a great view of watching the plays develop. On a number of occasions, the line opened a running lane but Corey chose the wrong hole or bounced it outside. I think he is frustrated and is trying to do too much.

I think the defense has a pretty good idea that if he is in the game, we are going to run the ball. Perhaps we should involve him in the passing game a little more to keep the linebackers honest.

The touchdown to Givens on playaction was TOTALLY enabled by the fact that the D has to respect Dillon.

Not everything about his game shows up on the stat sheets. Compare him to Antowain... Corey's in a different class altogether. Play action to Patrick or Kevin would not have had the same effect on the LBs.

rookBoston said:
The touchdown to Givens on playaction was TOTALLY enabled by the fact that the D has to respect Dillon.

Not everything about his game shows up on the stat sheets. Compare him to Antowain... Corey's in a different class altogether. Play action to Patrick or Kevin would not have had the same effect on the LBs.
What he said!
:rocker:

Box_O_Rocks said:
What he said!
:rocker:

100% right. Having Dillon there allows the other back a chance to get yards. The opposing teams rush defense is keying on Cory, not on Kevin or Pass. We need him there, regardless of the yards.

Corey will have a big game against Denver. He's one pissed off dude and he's going to show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down