PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run defense discussion (thread starting from 2020)

Ok so you couldn't challenge anything I said.

Belichick owes his GOAT status to Brady. That's my point.
No. Belichick doesn't owe his GOAT status to Brady. You failed to make your point in the thread that was deleted and you haven't been able to make your point now.

Heck, you sound like Thelonious the Erroneous...

We saw this last year against good rushing teams and then the titans in the playoffs. They didn't get the personnel they needed to improve it, and we're poor against the run. Again.
They added Beau Allen in hopes to improve it. Unfortunately, Allen missed the entire season. They couldn't have projected that Bentley would regress the way he has.

I'm actually surprised that Cowart seems to have regressed as well in the run defense.

Not having Hightower on the field directing the defense has also played a major role in the defense being as poor as it is.

the big bodies (Guy, Butler, Cowart) were out there too many plays.........they were gassed.....they need more fat guys

I recall people calling Malcolm Brown a bust..........he's playing pretty well for reasonable money.....look what has happened to the Saint rush defense since he's been out the last 2 weeks

playing from behind a lot of the time doesn’t help either

While shelton wasn’t a beast by any means, i was suprised they let him walk just to throw pretty much the same type of money iirc at beau allen. Considering the already heavy turnover on d

While shelton wasn’t a beast by any means, i was suprised they let him walk just to throw pretty much the same type of money iirc at beau allen. Considering the already heavy turnover on d
Me too. Maybe Shelton wanted a scheme change to a more 4-3 like defense with the lions. He is Not the two gap beast i thought he would with his size but he was good in 2019 i would say

Little Lord Byron the Coward ****ing sucks too...Could've had Darius Slayton (i.e. the man who made Stidham look like he was an actual prospect), but nooo...and Tashawn Bowwower is just flat-out Garbage...Could Derek Rivers really have been any worse than him?

I agree..the gap disciplin esp on the edge and tackling skills are big concerns as well..hope we sign a NT in FA there are some solid options and have Allen for depth
If we’re looking at a QB in the 2nd round or a trade up late in the 1st, I’d go DT with our top overall pick depending on how the board falls. Get them on that rookie contract for 5 years and plug them in.

If we’re looking at a QB in the 2nd round or a trade up late in the 1st, I’d go DT with our top overall pick depending on how the board falls. Get them on that rookie contract for 5 years and plug them in.
I described it in another thread DT where we pick is not really the class for that early to me.....would like to get the best playmaker on offense or LB/Edge if QB is not possible..there could be some mid round NT available if we don't sign one difference maker upfront we should target one somewhere there if not earlier

Little Lord Byron the Coward ****ing sucks too...Could've had Darius Slayton (i.e. the man who made Stidham look like he was an actual prospect), but nooo...and Tashawn Bowwower is just flat-out Garbage...Could Derek Rivers really have been any worse than him?
I almost forgot who number 96 on the edge was tbh.. i think rivers issue despite health is he is more a pass rusher than edge setter against the run so he did not see much playing time here..yeah well cowart lines up often across the center on 0 or 1 tech i have the feeling that is not the type of frame i would like to see there

God, I remember that triad abyssmal 3 game stretch where Priest Holmes LT and Ricky Williams feasted in consecutive weeks.
Having PTSD flash backs to those games now. Ugh!

The defensive tackle spot is easily fixed this offseason. We can resign guy, sign one of a few really good free agents and we will have the ability to draft nt Davis of Georgia, shelvin of lsu or McNeil of nc state in the draft.

the real question is how do we fix the holes at defensive end.

They dont have a proper front 4. Most importantly they dont have a passing offense which can put pressure on the other team to stop running by scoring points. If the pats were up 14-0 instead of 6-0 yesterday, miami doesnt run as much at all.

You have "no interest" in challenging my opinion but you keep doing it while offering absolutely nothing in the way of substance, intelligence or even a small amount of wit. You are zero fun. You love Belichick so much that you've taken on his personality.
Thanks for proving my point.

Interesting article from usa today​

Most Common formation 2-4-5
DT — Adam Butler
DT– Lawrence Guy/Byron Cowart
EDGE (stand-up) — Taswhan Bower/John Simon
EDGE (stand-up) — Shilique Calhoun
LB — Ja’Whaun Bentley/Anfernee Jennings
LB — Terez Hall
CB — J.C. Jackson
CB — Stephon Gilmore/Jason McCourty
CB (slot)/S — Jonathan Jones
SS — Kyle Dugger/Adrian Phillips
FS — Devin McCourty
Looking at this lineup I see the need to change up most of these guys.
Butler ok backup for passing downs but not a big money gy
Guy the one good player on the front, UFA would be nice to have back
Byron Cowart lots of praise but I didn't see the production can get along without him
Tashawn Bower/John Simon I always liked Simon but the last couple games he has gone downhill both need to be replaced
Shalique Calhoun looks good in uniform see you later
Jawhaun Bentley always a tick behind, good tackler 7 yards downfield see you later
Anfernee Jennings willing to give him another year but didn't really see much
Terez Hall big chops for trying,, like him but he's not the answer
JC Jackson good corner will return
Stephon Gilmore/ Jason McCourty both gone different reasons
Jonathan Jones moves to Free Safety
Kyle Dugger/Adrian Phillips both keepers, if Chung returns (iffy) he might get Dugger moved to Free Safety and Jones remain in slot
Devin McCourty will enjoy retirement.

So from this group I'm only keeping 4 secondary people, 1 LB and not expecting a lot from him, no edge and maybe 2 DT's. Wise needs to be replaced also, makes a play once in a while but not good enough. And who do we have left not included with this group? Uche, Winovich, Williams, Bryant, ,maybe Rashod Berry, Carl Davis and Beau Allen and we don't know ANYTHING about the last 2. So I'm not worried about WR/TE, because until this group gets better it won't matter.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back