PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run defense discussion (thread starting from 2020)

Wise did play better than I thought he was capable of this season. At his best he is a JAG.
Exactly, there needs to be an upgrade at NT with moving God to 3 T and a run stopping DE because none of our DE is a good run stuffer. Wise Judon and the speed rushers are better on passing downs, way better
I thought Van Noy was actually one of our best defenders the second half of the season. I don't understand the Wino snaps. At least he has non stop effort, but maybe that just puts him at the Wise level. I have to hope Perkins and McGrone and Bledsoe can contribute next year.
Perkins and Mcgrone are basically rookies next season idk our hope should not last on them

Wise Bentley Hightower Collins Uche McCourty are candidates for upgrade.

Yep, among others…

EDIT: JarOfMayo is right about DMac, he's still a solid FS... Unfortunate about the dropped INT but if Bolden hadn't led with his head it wouldn't have mattered...

Last edited:
But without the athletic ability.

I was rewatching vids, there are so many plays yesterday (all season really) where Bentley takes the wrong step and completely takes himself out of a running play as the RB runs right by where he previously was. Absolutely horrendous instincts.

His contract is also okay. No great shakes. So value for money from wise .
Dee Wise’ contract sucks, not Godsmack / Jalen Mills suck but sucky nonetheless… I was justifiably disappointed when he was re-signed ahead of (and for a heckuva lot more money than) Adam Butler.

Both Lazar and the PFF grades specifically draw attention to the secondary. They really could have used Dugger in there. It wasn't a surprise to see D'Angelo Ross at slot corner, but he was also the third safety after Sean Davis got hurt on his first snap. Phillips does lots of good things in the running game, but there's a significant difference between him and Dugger in terms of taking on blockers, which is what the Dolphins forced him to do.

PFF says that Godchaux and Bentley had the two best run defense grades.
Phillips had some problems yesterday, not protecting the outside, coverage. He's one of my favorites but yesterday was not his best game.

Guy is cooked! Hightower is cooked! Collins is cooked. Wise is jag. Bentley is hard to watch. Judon is a stud. Barmore is a future stud.

Our front seven is in serious need of size, youth and skill upgrades in most positions.

Wise Bentley Hightower Collins Uche McCourty are candidates for upgrade.

There is absolutely no way they're finding an upgrade over McCourty, if and when he moves on, it'll be tough to find someone who can come in and do it half as well as he has

Guy is cooked! Hightower is cooked! Collins is cooked. Wise is jag. Bentley is hard to watch. Judon is a stud. Barmore is a future stud.

Our front seven is in serious need of size, youth and skill upgrades in most positions.

In no particular order:

A Beef Curtain

Another DE opposite Judon

At least one if not two LBs who run like their hair's on fire

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots