PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run defense discussion (thread starting from 2020)

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
2002 Patriots
2198 yards (31st), 17 TD (23rd), 4.7 YPA (27th)

2020 Pats run defense stats projected to 16 games
2128 yards (currently 27th), 17 TD (currently 18th), 4.6 YPA (ranked 22nd)

Looks to me like the 2020 run defense is equally as terrible as the famous 2002 run defense. They're almost identically inept at setting the edge. Maybe worse in 2020 because at least the Pats faced some really good runners back then - Ricky Williams twice, Priest Holmes, Tomlinson, Eddie George, Ahman Green. Haven't really faced anyone this year at that level. Instead they're giving up 250+ yards to the worst running team in football.

But the Pats went from worst to first in this category the year after that. Hopefully Bill can work the same magic.

Last edited:
That run D was gawd awful. It was all personnel.

Hence in 2003 Ty Warren as a #1 pick and trade for Ted Washington
Yup. I wouldn't be upset if we use our higher picks on defense to try and fix this.

If we've learned anything about how Bill builds a team, he likes his high picks on D and salvage operations on O
We don’t know how much of that was because he had Brady and with Brady (until age caught up) weapons are a luxury not a necessity.

The Pats were going to be thin on defense to start with but when Hightower opted out and Allen never played they lost 2 of their most important run stopping assets. Am hopeful Hightower returns and they can find another Branch type player for DL as he had a couple great years at a very reasonable price.

I thought Bill Belichick was a genius? How can this be? His run defense sucking so horribly bad. Miami by the way does not even have a decent run game. Embarrassing.

This thread by the way is subtly criticizing Belichick so it probably should be deleted. Quickly before anyone thinks any less of him.

I thought Bill Belichick was a genius? How can this be? His run defense sucking so horribly bad. Miami by the way does not even have a decent run game. Embarrassing.

This thread by the way is subtly criticizing Belichick so it probably should be deleted. Quickly before anyone thinks any less of him.
You wonder why you have posts deleted?

You wonder why you have posts deleted?
What's the problem with that post? Aside from the obvious sarcasm about the thread being deleted, challenge anything I said.

What's the problem with that post? Aside from the obvious sarcasm about the thread being deleted, challenge anything I said.
It’s the whining *****iness.
If you don’t appreciate what bill belichick has done with this franchise and recognize he is the GOAT that’s on you, but it’s your opinion and when people ***** and whine about their opinion this place sucks.

A toilet clogger, two-gapper, 0-tech a DT has been a need since 2017. I’d put it as the second biggest need on this team going into the offseason. Right behind QB. We could have an all-world Mike and nobody would know it because of the ease with which the guards are getting to the second level and putting a hat on them against the run. Think Ray Lewis before and after the Ravens drafted Ngata.

A toilet clogger, two-gapper, 0-tech a DT has been a need since 2017. I’d put it as the second biggest need on this team going into the offseason. Right behind QB. We could have an all-world Mike and nobody would know it because of the ease with which the guards are getting to the second level and putting a hat on them against the run. Think Ray Lewis before and after the Ravens drafted Ngata.
And it literally is hole in the depth chart, forcing everyone at the dt position to play one role bigger.
Hightower not being here is a big factor too because his size and run d skills helped make the nickel base go.

After the 2002 season the Patriots drafted Ty Warren with their first round pick and also signed old but elite Ted Washington

It’s the whining *****iness.
If you don’t appreciate what bill belichick has done with this franchise and recognize he is the GOAT that’s on you, but it’s your opinion and when people ***** and whine about their opinion this place sucks.
Ok so you couldn't challenge anything I said.

Belichick owes his GOAT status to Brady. That's my point.

Ok so you couldn't challenge anything I said.

Belichick owes his GOAT status to Brady. That's my point.
I have no interest in “challenging” your opinion. You have made up your mind, communicate with a poor attitude and I’m not interested in going down that road. And I completely disagree with you. As they say sometimes you just need to stop trying to correct some people and just let them be wrong.

I agree..the gap disciplin esp on the edge and tackling skills are big concerns as well..hope we sign a NT in FA there are some solid options and have Allen for depth

If only you were the coach, we'd all be saved. Pretty sure global terrorism would cease, stocks would go way up, health insurance prices way down, and everyone would have a cherry red Porsche 911.

Save us.

You're our only hope.

We saw this last year against good rushing teams and then the titans in the playoffs. They didn't get the personnel they needed to improve it, and we're poor against the run. Again.

2002 Patriots
2198 yards (31st), 17 TD (23rd), 4.7 YPA (27th)

2020 Pats run defense stats projected to 16 games
2128 yards (currently 27th), 17 TD (currently 18th), 4.6 YPA (ranked 22nd)

Looks to me like the 2020 run defense is equally as terrible as the famous 2002 run defense. They're almost identically inept at setting the edge. Maybe worse in 2020 because at least the Pats faced some really good runners back then - Ricky Williams twice, Priest Holmes, Tomlinson, Eddie George, Ahman Green. Haven't really faced anyone this year at that level. Instead they're giving up 250+ yards to the worst running team in football.

But the Pats went from worst to first in this category the year after that. Hopefully Bill can work the same magic.

The biggest issue in 2002 was the lack of a real NT. We don't have one this year that is healthy. The run defense was excellent when Carl Davis was healthy. Davis, unfortunately, has a history of concussions and already has had 2 since joining the team.

The Patriots need a NT, a DE who can set the edge and a LB who can play from sideline to sideline. That is something that Hightower, Bentley, and Jennings can't do. Uche looks like he's got the athleticism to do so. But he needs to learn how to play that way. The Pats need another LB who can also play that way so that BB can continue to use Dugger as a Utility player.

The other thing that they need to do is stop playing ZONE defense. They have gotten burned by both the run and pass when they have switched to zone defense.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back