Ruminating on experience of recovering from COVID

2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
So it turns out I'm in day 11 of COVID, or at least of having noticeable symptoms. Docs say that when the symptoms are clear, ignore negative tests (of which I had one). And, that the virus has weakened in potency while becoming more contagious, a standard developmental pathway for viruses. The doc I talked to yesterday has had hundreds of COVID patients, since March. He had hospitalizations and deaths in the Spring, and none with this latest surge. He says it is in part because people are taking better care of themselves once they have it, and in part because the virus just isn't as potent.

It is very interesting to me that he wasn't surprised at all by the false negative, and that CDC guidelines are very clear that they don't matter when the symptoms are present. It means this entire protective system put in place to protect sports leagues, teams, and athletes is based on something that is far less dependable than we assume.

OK, back to the couch. I'll have a lot of Netflix recommendations when this is over, hopefully soon.

KontradictioN

Probably the nicest guy on the forum
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Good to hear that you’re recovering, bud. What symptoms do you actually have?

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
A distant relative died from covid last week.......60 years old but in perfect health

supposedly her husband brought it home

I agree that it seems less deadly, but that is also due to changes in treatment

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Good to hear that you’re recovering, bud. What symptoms do you actually have?
Exhaustion was ever-present, and I'm winded climbing two flights of stairs. Coming on every day, randomly: brain fog, cough, chills/sweats, sore throat, headache. Wife had the weird taste thing. So for us it was mostly a productivity issue. Doc gave us his cell number, said to keep climbing the stairs and call him if my breathing becomes harder.

My heart goes out to those who have what we had, X3. We've been able to meet our daily needs, and not get scared of it.

But it is a strange bug in that the symptoms are so random yet persistent. It just feels different than the usual 72 hour viruses we all get from time to time, and it is hard to describe what that difference is.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Exhaustion was ever-present, and I'm winded climbing two flights of stairs. Coming on every day, randomly: brain fog, cough, chills/sweats, sore throat, headache. Wife had the weird taste thing. So for us it was mostly a productivity issue. Doc gave us his cell number, said to keep climbing the stairs and call him if my breathing becomes harder.

My heart goes out to those who have what we had, X3. We've been able to meet our daily needs, and not get scared of it.

But it is a strange bug in that the symptoms are so random yet persistent. It just feels different than the usual 72 hour viruses we all get from time to time, and it is hard to describe what that difference is.

I had a viral cough for almost 2 months.......tested 3 times for covid all negative.....at one point I thought I was going to cough up a lung

Wife had it, too........sinus headaches, low grade fever....I wound up on anitbiotics because my doc heard crackling in the bottom of my right lung........we both still have residual congestion nasally, but almost 100%

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep
PatsFans.com Supporter
Hang in there. I tested negative for COVID and positive for strep on Monday. Monday night and Tuesday sucked, but after a day of Amoxicillin, I am feeling a lot better. I hope the same for you as we head into Christmas.

sb1

Pro Bowl Player
Was sick in late January before the pandemic was declared. Had lots of symptoms - very sore throat, cough, fever, congested, couldn’t sleep at all. Hit me hard in two waves- subsided a bit in 3 days then it came back harder with the same symptoms plus chills and muscle aches. Total was 2 weeks.

Assumed it was a flu but I always wonder if that’s what it really was. Didn’t really have the shortness of breath lots of people had so probably not but still...

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Was sick in late January before the pandemic was declared. Had lots of symptoms - very sore throat, cough, fever, congested, couldn’t sleep at all. Hit me hard in two waves- subsided a bit in 3 days then it came back harder with the same symptoms plus chills and muscle aches. Total was 2 weeks.

Assumed it was a flu but I always wonder if that’s what it really was. Didn’t really have the shortness of breath lots of people had so probably not but still...
This crap was here in December. Lots of folks were exposed. You could have been. A younger person I know lost her sense of smell and taste in February. Tough to tell with this crap since it hits everyone differently.

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
Definitely hope you're feeling better. Everyone I know who has had this has said it's kicked their ass and the fatigue/brain fog thing seems to be pretty common. My wife's coworker is 4 months removed and still dealing with it...definitely pretty frustrating. Not a fun time of year to be sick, so definitely take it easy and best wishes to you and yours and hope you start feeling better.

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I had a viral cough for almost 2 months.......tested 3 times for covid all negative.....at one point I thought I was going to cough up a lung

Wife had it, too........sinus headaches, low grade fever....I wound up on anitbiotics because my doc heard crackling in the bottom of my right lung........we both still have residual congestion nasally, but almost 100%

We may never know.

My wife was talking to an epidemiologist yesterday who has a theory that blood type is playing a role in test results. We already know it plays a role in both susceptibility and symptoms. IIRC, O positive is supposedly the best to have, B negative the worst. Wife and I are both O positive. So we fit the theory. It may also affect antibody load, and thus reinfection likelihood, but again, that research probably won't be funded because the vaccines will create less felt need.