PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Hank Aaron

Couple of things about the Hammer's 715th HR: The Dodgers LFer seen climbing the fence was Bill ****ner, who never, Ever, EVAH should've been on the field for the 9th inning of You-Know-What; and the player in the bullpen who caught the ball was Tom House, a sometimes Hogan's Heroes extra during his time at USC and eventual QB guru, who was traded to the Red Sox in a rare lefty-for-lefty swap for Roger Moret after the 1975 season...

Aaron joined the Braves in Milwaukee just 2 or 3 years I believe after they moved from Boston...Oh what might've been...

Rest in Peace to the Real Home Run King, a true gentleman, courageous & dignified...We could sure use more men like him today...

In 1972, I was 11, and loved Hank Aaron.

I mailed him a letter asking for his autograph. (dumb kid)

A month later, I got a return letter... with an autographed photo. :thumbsup: Class act.

May the good Lord rest you and keep you, Henry. Thanks for the memories.

Class Act, all the way, and yes, He is still the Homerun King. RIP Mr. Aaron

Although I do feel obliged to mention that if Ted Williams had not lost five years of his career to military service (3 for WW2, 2 for Korea), he would have come very close to Aaron.

25 time all-star.

2nd* in HRs
1st in RBI
1st in total bases
3rd in hits behind Pete Rose & Ty Cobb.

If you took away ALL of his 755 HRs, he would still have over 3000 hits. No one else in the 500 HR club can say that.

Although I do feel obliged to mention that if Ted Williams had not lost five years of his career to military service (3 for WW2, 2 for Korea), he would have come very close to Aaron.
Yep, he lost probably 150+ HRs during those years...

I was 11 in 1974 watching the Braves play the Dodgers with my Dad in our basement man cave when he broke Ruth’s record. I was wearing a green shirt with #44 on it. The pitcher was Al Downing who also wore #44. It’s a sad day.

African-American baseball players of his day do not get enough what they went through in those years. Aaron got death threats as he chased Ruth’s record. One of the great ones has sadly passed. RIP Hammering Hank.

Aaron's stats are eye opening, but what sticks out to me isn't the home run and rbi #s - it's the low # of strike outs and walks comparatively for a guy with way over 600 plate appearances throughout his career. Tells me he actually - God Forbid - went up to the plate to swing the bat and not "work the count" like so many of today's ballplayers. Rest in Peace and God Bless his family.

Aaron's stats are eye opening, but what sticks out to me isn't the home run and rbi #s - it's the low # of strike outs and walks comparatively for a guy with way over 600 plate appearances throughout his career. Tells me he actually - God Forbid - went up to the plate to swing the bat and not "work the count" like so many of today's ballplayers. Rest in Peace and God Bless his family.
He understood that, as somebody batting 3rd/4th/5th in the order, Job1 was to find a good pitch to hit...

Greatest home run hitter of all time.

One of the greatest gentlemen to ever represent the MLB.

Met Ted Williams at a golf outing about a year before he became a popsicle.
I was in a golf cart with Otto Graham but didn't know who this old guy named Otto was till about the 16th hole.
Otto was annoyed when he saw Ted and his 3 cart entourage cruising the course in reverse stopping at every group, saying hello, and slowing down play.
I'll never forget what Otto said: "Ah jeez, not this guy"

I digress
RIP Hank

My friend at work pitched for North Adams State. In '75 they played the Braves in Spring Training in Florida.

One guy came over, introduced himself and shook everyone's hand. It was Hank Aaron.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back