PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Riess interview: Butler or English ?........#23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want either one. I like Butler and think he will be good, English just seems to be an unknown to me. Too much discussion if he can play the position at the next level.

At least with Barwin we have a pretty good idea he can play TE and special teams if he strikes out as a LB. Actually Barwin could be one of the premier ST's in the NFL. His resume as a STer is almost unsurpassed by any player coming out of college imo. It's not a complete waste of a pick like I feel English has the chance to be.

Sorry didn't mean to bring him into the discussion.

I think that piece is inaccurate, and the quote in regard to his size was likely DE specific, as he is in no way undersized at 34 OLB.

Previously you gave your opinion of English, and I disagree with that opinion. The tape I've studied of Larry shows a player who is quick off the edge, possesses a good bull rush, tackles well in space, and plays intelligently. You also seemed to suggest Larry's success in the MAC might not translate to the NFL. While I understand that point, you should also realize that he was effective while facing the Tennessee's of the world, and wasn't simply a MAC warrior.

Also, I see the Woodley comparisons, and I was a big Woodley fan going into that draft. In my honest opinion, Larry's a more polished pass rusher, appears a little quicker, and has more room on his frame than Lamarr did in 2007. Let's take a look at their draft season numbers just to further the comparison:

Lamarr:6'1.4" 266lbs
38.5" vertical (PD), 4.74 forty (PD), 9'9" broad jump, 1.65 ten-split, 4.42 shuttle (PD)
Larry: 6'2.1" 255lbs
36" vertical (C), 4.62 forty (PD), 9'7" broad jump, 1.59 ten-split, 4.38 shuttle (C)
With Larry you've got the slightly taller, and faster player, while Lamarr's slightly stronger at 266lbs.

As you may have already guessed, I'd be more than happy to see Larry English in a Patriots uniform.
Heh Sebby, where have you been hiding yourself?

Woodley was #46 overall, which is where I put English's value. That said, I'm not sure he brings more to the table then NE will be able to squeeze out of Woods, Crable, and Redd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back