PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revolution 2014 Season

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was at the home opener today ... fun to watch the young talent and frustrating to see how badly they are coached. Sometimes I wonder if Jay Heaps has old Colombian national team tapes hanging around his office.

They move the ball up field much too methodically for the talent that they have. They don't have a magical mid fielder to pass the ball forward ... and when they do successfully push the ball forward to the opposition they all stand around waiting to get a pass as someone is challenging a 1v2 or a 1v3.

They are neither tall nor strong in the forward 3rd so corner kicks and methodically moving the ball forward are rather useless. They could possibly get some offense off of it but everytime ***undez or Bunberry made a run they were not rewarded with the ball.

Their best chances came on outside midfield runs by Rowe and several by the spectacular Farrell. Jay Heaps needs to realize Aguadelo is gone and his 4-1-4-1 needs to go also. This is a young energetic team that would flourish in a 4-4-2 or even a 4-3-3. the defense is solid enough to expose them a bit in favor of more up top and quicker transitions to the forwards.

Rowe, ***undez and the new Kobayashi played well - Dorman plays like his age - old.

I'm no soccer expert ... just calling it as I see it.
They have a promising young team ... they need a coach who thinks young and fresh also.

Bought my kid a Rowe shirt ... last year he got a ***undez ... Rowe just keeps getting better.

I agree. Right now the team's offense is too predictable on what they are going to do. If Vancouver out of all teams can figure out how to stop the team then can you imagine how a much better team like we'll see in our next game against San Jose Earthquakes will do.

There certainly needs to be some change in line up as you pointed out the 4-1-4-1 isn't working. Yeah it worked when Agudelo was here due largely to Agudelo being that good. Dorman I feel would be a decent substitute level player but to have him starting I really disagree with.

And Heaps... looks the guy is likable no doubt. I still feel even after last season's great run he got pushed into being head coach far too soon in his career. I mean he went from working play by play alongside Brad Feldman on the CSN NE broadcast to head coaching the team. No prior coaching experience on the team. The irony is that a guy who has far more coaching level experience (Paul Mariner) is now working Heaps former job on the game broadcast.

On another note general manager Mike Burns mentioned before the game that an decision on Shalrie Joseph who has been practicing with the team will be made during this week. I can't see Joseph being brought into the team as from what I saw out of him during pre-season he looked really bad.

If you are guys come to the next Home game (4/12 vs Houston). Come find me for a beer/food in the Midnight Riders parking lot.

Kraft and the Revs are taking a beating in this months Boston Magazine(and tbh rightfully so on the Revs side of things.). For all greatness he has had with the Pats and the right things he has done, he is the worst owner in MLS.

The Article

To be fair and defending Robert Kraft a bit he did help MLS during it's early days. But right now more than ever is when he needs to either start caring about what is going on not just with the Revs but the league as a whole. Either that or sell the team off to someone who has a better vested interest in the soccer side of things.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back