PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: McD showing interest in Packers Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get chances to win rings with a great quarterback, not a guarantee. If Adam Vinatieri misses field goals or Malcolm Butler doesn't intercept the ball, or the Falcons call run plays, maybe Tom Brady only has one ring.

I get it. This board has a general complex when it comes to Aaron Rodgers because everyone's deeply insecure about Brady's "legacy" for some bizarre reason, but Rodgers is a tremendous quarterback. And McCarthy's playcalling was definitely holding him back.
Packers fired Winston Moss when he tweeted in support of McCarthy and said Rodgers needs to be held accountable for poor play as well.

That situation looks toxic to me.

Packers fired Winston Moss when he tweeted in support of McCarthy and said Rodgers needs to be held accountable for poor play as well.

That situation looks toxic to me.

If Brady wanted coaches gone, they'd be gone before you could say goodbye. It's all in recognition that the entire game of football, particularly in the post-2004 era, is about having a great quarterback and doing everything you can to ensure you squeeze the most production out of him possible.

McDaniels is, despite the lament of GDTs everywhere, a substantially better playcaller than McCarthy. It would be a good match and it makes plenty of sense for Josh to be interested in the job.

If Brady wanted coaches gone, they'd be gone before you could say goodbye. It's all in recognition that the entire game of football, particularly in the post-2004 era, is about having a great quarterback and doing everything you can to ensure you squeeze the most production out of him possible.

McDaniels is, despite the lament of GDTs everywhere, a substantially better playcaller than McCarthy. It would be a good match and it makes plenty of sense for Josh to be interested in the job.
However will Rodgers put the work in to learn a completely different offensive system?

What makes you think he wouldn't?
I feel like he's not as studious as Brady I don't know that for sure just the hunch I get when I see him play or talk.
I guess we will see if Josh bolts for the job if offered to him.

Rodgers is basically what's produced of Brady and Tebow love child....MickeyD will love it till he realizes he isn't going to win like he has enjoyed with Brady

I'm a bit surprised by how many on here wants Josh to take over from Bill. I had this idea that most were thinking of him as a good oc but not really hc material. Two very different jobs. Hmm, interesting.

I'm a bit surprised by how many on here wants Josh to take over from Bill. I had this idea that most were thinking of him as a good oc but not really hc material. Two very different jobs. Hmm, interesting.
Not me

The situation with the Patriots is that Kraft told both Brady and Belichik that he's not getting rid of either one and that if they want to walk, they can walk.......it's really that simple.......nothing else can explain the current situation as well

What makes you think he wouldn't?
Historically speaking, when an older quarterback has either a new coach w/ same team or new coach/new team the offensive system has stayed the same to what he was accustomed to.

There's probably no way to know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that Brady calls the plays being sent in more often than Rodgers. Plus, does the OC for GB have as much leeway on play calling as Josh does here?

There's probably no way to know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that Brady calls the plays being sent in more often than Rodgers. Plus, does the OC for GB have as much leeway on play calling as Josh does here?
I think we need to be clear on this point.

Brady doesn't call "plays". Plays are dependent on personnel packages and Tom has no control over that at the LoS.

He can change "plays" as it relates to formations and/or who the primary is or run/pass. I'm pretty sure Tom and Josh are 99.9% aligned on the "if, then".

Seems like AR and MM didn't have that alignment.

Yeah, the way plays are being talked about, you'd think that it was basically Madden where you push square and can change the play entirely. Every quarterback has some leeway with the playcall and can alter protection schemes and the like - and the Patriots rely heavily on option routes where the play essentially evolves after the snap, in many cases.

But usually it's just changing what one player is doing, because you don't have time to communicate and change what every player is doing, unlike in a video game where the players just move in pre-programmed ways. You'll see this with the Patriots when Brady audibles to a run; his receivers still run their routes, often not aware the play's changed until the whistle blows.

The problem with McCarthy is that his staple play was slant-flats, and it was basically all he called.

I think we need to be clear on this point.

Brady doesn't call "plays". Plays are dependent on personnel packages and Tom has no control over that at the LoS.

He can change "plays" as it relates to formations and/or who the primary is or run/pass. I'm pretty sure Tom and Josh are 99.9% aligned on the "if, then".

Seems like AR and MM didn't have that alignment.

Do we know the relationship that AR has with his OC vs MM?

Yeah, the way plays are being talked about, you'd think that it was basically Madden where you push square and can change the play entirely. Every quarterback has some leeway with the playcall and can alter protection schemes and the like - and the Patriots rely heavily on option routes where the play essentially evolves after the snap, in many cases.

But usually it's just changing what one player is doing, because you don't have time to communicate and change what every player is doing, unlike in a video game where the players just move in pre-programmed ways. You'll see this with the Patriots when Brady audibles to a run; his receivers still run their routes, often not aware the play's changed until the whistle blows.

The problem with McCarthy is that his staple play was slant-flats, and it was basically all he called.

Yep.

Great article on this topic.

Tom Brady, Patriots' offense built to adapt

Thanks. That answered my question. It was MM who was calling the plays in GB.
Yep. Seems like AR was frustrated with MM's lack of creativity and MM didn't have the confidence in AR's ability execute all of throws & plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes