PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Chung Signs Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hall of fame is getting full.

Such a good deal for a top 15, maybe 10, strong safety. He might decline over the course of the contract but as long as he's useful that money will be justified.

Not trying to attack you, Elijah, but referring to Chung as a strong safety is fairly misleading. I'd also strongly disagree that you can list 10 strong safeties better than him (let alone 15). He plays so many important roles in our defense and does them all at a pretty high level -- I don't think there's a better fit across the league for what we ask him to do, other than maybe Derwin James. If you want to roughly pigeonhole him into a "strong safety" position, then I still think he's top 5.

This roster is returning Gostkowski, McCourty and Chung now? We pretty much have the same team minus Flowers, Hogan, and Gronk.

I think we can really make a strong push again if we have a decent draft day. And with 12 picks, we've got the ammo to reload!

Brown also although he was our worst starting OL.
Flowers is a loss but Bennett will cover it nicely although not 100%
Gronk I don't see as a loss because he was washed for 2019 imo. But we need to replace his 2018 impact.
Hogan is addition by subtraction.

All in all I don't think the losses are as bad as people think they are. We could be a better team with a good draft.

You can be the highest paid player of your position.
You can win positional player awards
The biggest compliment of a career is when BB gives you an uncontested bump in pay

One of the best value contracts in the league (not including rookie deals, of course).

Chung is an underrated leader.

Not trying to attack you, Elijah, but referring to Chung as a strong safety is fairly misleading. I'd also strongly disagree that you can list 10 strong safeties better than him (let alone 15). He plays so many important roles in our defense and does them all at a pretty high level -- I don't think there's a better fit across the league for what we ask him to do, other than maybe Derwin James. If you want to roughly pigeonhole him into a "strong safety" position, then I still think he's top 5.

Saying top 10 doesn't preclude top 5. Strong safety has always been just a nominal thing in the Belichick era, but there really has usually been a center fielder type and a guy who can match up with tight ends and hit hard. I know DMac has delivered some serious hits in his career and Chung has had excellent coverage lately, but they do still fit those broad position labels.

Gronk I don't see as a loss because he was washed for 2019 imo. But we need to replace his 2018 impact.

Apart from TB12 Gronk was the most important part of the offense.

Yes, I know Edelman made so many more catches and whatnot but Gronk is the headache that kept opponents' coaches up at night. His presence -- at 100% or not -- is what enabled McDaniels often to force mismatches in terms of personnel. Which then let Brady "be Brady" and read all he needed to know presnap. Now with a lesser TE who is more of a blocker or more of a receiver the teams will just matchup with a LB or another DB respectively and the odds will be more in their favor than when they had to guess with someone like Gronk on the field.

Gronk is the biggest loss of this offseason just because of the effect he had on opponents solely by being on the field. His biggest value was never only his receiving ability but the fact that he was a great blocker AND opponents had to account for him in the passing game which put them into a bind when deciding on personnel.

It will be interesting to see how Brady and McDaniels compensate for losing their biggest matchup manipulator.

Last edited:

Absolutely agree. I think Chung is another one of those players that are so flexible and rotate through so many roles in a single game that they will never receive the (national) recognition they deserve.

Last edited:
Brown also although he was our worst starting OL.
Flowers is a loss but Bennett will cover it nicely although not 100%
Hogan is addition by subtraction.

All in all I don't think the losses are as bad as people think they are. We could be a better team with a good draft.

I don’t think the draft picks will have too much impact on 2019 unless we get some luck and I don’t plan for that. We will need a very good defense, an outstanding Brady, Josh Gordon’s Return and excellent coaching to get back to the SB again. Thankfully, all those things are more than possible. And more good news. As things stand, we have 12 draft picks this year and 12 picks next year so the future is hopefully protected too.

Saying top 10 doesn't preclude top 5. Strong safety has always been just a nominal thing in the Belichick era, but there really has usually been a center fielder type and a guy who can match up with tight ends and hit hard. I know DMac has delivered some serious hits in his career and Chung has had excellent coverage lately, but they do still fit those broad position labels.

I don't want to get into an argument here, but I don't think you actually understand the positions.

I don’t think the draft picks will have too much impact on 2019 unless we get some luck and I don’t plan for that. We will need a very good defense, an outstanding Brady, Josh Gordon’s Return and excellent coaching to get back to the SB again. Thankfully, all those things are more than possible. And more good news. As things stand, we have 12 draft picks this year and 12 picks next year so the future is hopefully protected too.

I agree.

Miguel is going to give you guys the correct numbers but they should be close to:

2019: $5,058,333
2020: $5,908,333 + 600k
2021: $3,708,333 + 600k

I don't know if (incentives) they are NTBE or LTBE

Ben Volin‏ @BenVolin
Patriots gave Patrick Chung a raise from $2.4m to $6m, plus another $600k in playtime incentives. New deal comes with a $4m signing bonus, $1.1m salary, $100k workout bonus, $800k in per-game bonus. Cap number increases from $4.175m to $5.083m.

One of the best value contracts in the league (not including rookie deals, of course).

I'm actually stunned he isn't making 10 million a year. Here or elsewhere. Pat's a pro's pro, an incredible leader and one of the most dynamic players we've ever had.

You and I see this differently. I figure, unless something intervening (i.e. trade) happens, that the makeup of this year's draft aligns with Patriots needs, which I think means that we should be able to expect that at least 3 of the first 4 picks to become productive players this year. And I'm sticking to that, right up until Belichick goes QB/OT/FB/K with those picks.

You and I see this differently. I figure, unless something intervening (i.e. trade) happens, that the makeup of this year's draft aligns with Patriots needs, which I think means that we should be able to expect that at least 3 of the first 4 picks to become productive players this year. And I'm sticking to that, right up until Belichick goes QB/OT/FB/K with those picks.

I’m really just arguing that there’s a learning curve that will make the year one transition difficult for rookies. I agree that there’s a nice correlation between need and what’s available in the draft.

I’m really just arguing that there’s a learning curve that will make the year one transition difficult for rookies. I agree that there’s a nice correlation between need and what’s available in the draft.

I hear you. While I do think there's a good chance for at least 3 position/need matches in the first 4 picks (DL/TE/WR), I was really just looking for a way to joke about BB's occasional bouts of unpredictability, again.

I hear you. While I do think there's a good chance for at least 3 position/need matches in the first 4 picks (DL/TE/WR), I was really just looking for a way to joke about BB's occasional bouts of unpredictability, again.

I expect at least one head scratcher next weekend. I wonder if a first round OL qualifies. There are indications that could happen and it certainly wasn’t what I considered a primary need but I can see the potential logic too it - there’s certainly value at 32 on OL. Maybe not a true head scratcher but a little bit strange.

I really like how this draft lines up with our needs, but BB is his own man when it comes to the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes