PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reminder: Pats Had $28.5M in Dead Cap Money in April.... then 8 Key Players Opted Out (Rebuild Year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A plethora of legit NFL talent will be shed from rosters this offseason because of the shrinking cap and NE will have a golden opportunity to fill so many of its weakest roster spots at 60 cents on the dollar.
You get the feeling Budget Bill is chomping at the bit to go shopping this offseason with so much cash in hand.
The Patriots organization can borrow the JESTs perennial banner when NE wins this offseason.

How they address QB is the great unknown though I suspect BB will double down at this position with both a new bridge QB and a premium draft pick QB.

Sure....this season is disgusting but I'll admit my interest in this team's coming offseason will be off the charts. We are all keyboard GMs and the possibilities going forward are limitless

A plethora of legit NFL talent will be shed from rosters this offseason because of the shrinking cap and NE will have a golden opportunity to fill so many of its weakest roster spots at 60 cents on the dollar.
You get the feeling Budget Bill is chomping at the bit to go shopping this offseason with so much cash in hand.
The Patriots organization can borrow the JESTs perennial banner when NE wins this offseason.

How they address QB is the great unknown though I suspect BB will double down at this position with both a new bridge QB and a premium draft pick QB.

Sure....this season is disgusting but I'll admit my interest in this team's coming offseason will be off the charts. We are all keyboard GMs and the possibilities going forward are limitless

This is what I think Bill does. They will draft a QB high to develop. But he also might go out and sign Jimmy G to a 3 year contract. Or if Cam newton shows something re-signs him.

I think Bill is pissed that Brady is tearing it up in Tampa showing him wrong. which is why we are getting these comments .and Why I think Bill is going to inject some talent onto this team this offseason.

This is what I think Bill does. They will draft a QB high to develop. But he also might go out and sign Jimmy G to a 3 year contract. Or if Cam newton shows something re-signs him.

I think Bill is pissed that Brady is tearing it up in Tampa showing him wrong. which is why we are getting these comments .and Why I think Bill is going to inject some talent onto this team this offseason.
I keep reading posts that mention JG as a potential NE solution.
Question: IF SF punts on JG, what is their plan B?
I don't get the logic behind the premise

I keep reading posts that mention JG as a potential NE solution.
Question: IF SF punts on JG, what is their plan B?
I don't get the logic behind the premise

i've read articles that Shanahan may want someone like Matt Ryan if he becomes available. and draft a QB high as a backup.

I could also see Bill following that road.

Brady left by his own choice, there's nothing to be "wrong" about.

But I agree that Bill sees what Brady is doing in Tampa, hears the comparisons and questions being asked about him and his legacy, and therefore will not just sit back and do nothing, he'll definitely try to respond to that with a fast rebuild and a contender. Will it work - who knows. This will be an interesting team to watch both this year and the coming years in the short term.

Do we burn on a QB or spend a mid round pick on Mac Jones, and use our high pick on a stud DT/DE or Linebacker ?

Pats did go all out for Brady. Burned picks for Sanu. Antonio Brown dead cap hit.

I personally think one rules out the other. Say we get Jimmy G as is the popular example, 2-3 year deal on not top, but decent money. I just don't see Bill also using our 1st/2nd rd pick on a QB also.

If it's a choice, i'd far rather we tried in the draft with the higher pick we will likely have, then go with someone who we know has quite visible limitations.

I'd rather they sign a lot of pretty good players instead of waste on a big signing. You never know, look at the Adalius Thomas or Colvin signings that didn't pan out

Dugger has pretty much made Chung expendable. He has exceeded expectations.

True. But if Dugger takes the SS spot, still not sure what J.Williams does on this team then, another high draft pick....

True. But if Dugger takes the SS spot, still not sure what J.Williams does on this team then, another high draft pick....

We often play with an excess of DBs on the field; we are almost never not in nickel or dime or quarters.

There will always be a role for Williams.

We often play with an excess of DBs on the field; we are almost never not in nickel or dime or quarters.

There will always be a role for Williams.

But add the guys up. D.McCourty, Gilmore, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, J.McCourty, Dugger. That's 6. So we're set for Dime. So when would Brooks (why does Brooks play ANY snaps, he sucks) or when would Williams play ??

But add the guys up. D.McCourty, Gilmore, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, J.McCourty, Dugger. That's 6. So we're set for Dime. So when would Brooks (why does Brooks play ANY snaps, he sucks) or when would Williams play ??

It's always good to have depth. Someone is going to eventually need a breather, get hurt, etc.

FYI Dugger is a hybrid SS/LB, so it's not inconceivable that we see both he and Williams on the field at the same time.

I think it's simple. Both Bill and Brady wanted a new challenge. For Brady playing for a different organization and for Bill playing with a different style of QB and offense.

Brady didn't leave on bad terms. He didn't shoot his way out of NE. Circumstances changed. No one has to hate Brady, Bill, or Kraft.

No one has to root for Brady either, but fans of the Pats shouldn't root him to fail so they feel justified in him leaving.

It's ok for Brady to win without the Pats just like it was ok for the Pat when they didn't give Brady the extension he wanted last year.

It's just bizarre that so called fans can hate on either Brady or Bill. Then again Boston media craps on their teams because of lot of Boston fans want to hate on their teams.

Let's keep this all in perspective. Pats on pace as expected. This was a team with 26M in dead cap money due to Brady/AB, and 8 players opted out due to covid.

Brady left by his own choice, there's nothing to be "wrong" about.

But I agree that Bill sees what Brady is doing in Tampa, hears the comparisons and questions being asked about him and his legacy, and therefore will not just sit back and do nothing, he'll definitely try to respond to that with a fast rebuild and a contender. Will it work - who knows. This will be an interesting team to watch both this year and the coming years in the short term.

Because the questions are legit.

Bill's track record, both at the Browns and at Pats ex-Brady, is mediocre at best and borderline poor.

BB's record:
With Tom Brady as his starting QB: 224-66
With anybody else as his starting QB: 55-71 = 126 games = approx 8 seasons worth of data as HC
With anybody else at starting QB at Pats: 22-25 = 47 games =approx 3 seasons worth of data as HC.

If BB became HC of a team and went 22-25 after 3 seasons, with a 4-6 in 3rd season, he'd probably be booted.

Bill's track record, both at the Browns and at Pats ex-Brady, is mediocre at best and borderline poor.

If BB became HC of a team and went 22-25 after 3 seasons, with a 4-6 in 3rd season, he'd probably be booted.

The issue I have with that oft repeated narrative is that it assumes everything else in this clinical trial is equal - and it most definitely is not.

Four specific circumstances happened Cleveland:
- Belichick inherited a 3-13 team with overpaid, over the hill veterans, necessitating a 2-year rebuild.
- Kosar was a hometown favorite who was past his prime, and went completely insubordinate.
- Things were looking up once Kosar was booted, but then Testaverde was injured.
- Modell's announcement of the move caused incredible distraction, and one of the best teams at that time finished 2-9.

After years and years of 'go for it now' and 'the cap is crap' narrative, the Pats finally did think short term in the last few years with Brady. Whenever the point did eventually come that the Pats would move on from TB12, it was going to be painful from a roster quality viewpoint as well as a salary cap perspective. That is what happened this year.

It is disingenuous to imply that the only difference between 2020, and 2001-2019 is the absence of Brady.

Because the questions are legit.

BB's record:
With Tom Brady as his starting QB: 224-66
With anybody else as his starting QB: 55-71 = 126 games = approx 8 seasons worth of data as HC
With anybody else at starting QB at Pats: 22-25 = 47 games =approx 3 seasons worth of data as HC.

This is beyond silly. Without Belichick, Tom Brady is likely selling insurance in 2002. No other coach would have the balls to take a part time college QB and hand them the reins in 2001. And the cherry picking is idiotic. What was Phil Jackson's record without MJ. What was Popvich's record without Tim Duncan. What was Auerbach's record without Bill Russell. What was Bill Walsh's record without Montana. Brady vs Belichick is the dumbest thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes