PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reminder: Pats Had $28.5M in Dead Cap Money in April.... then 8 Key Players Opted Out (Rebuild Year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a long comprehensive article by Barnwell. The Pats drafts the last 7 years have been.... abysmal. Maybe letting Caserio and McDaniels leave is a good thing. McDaniela is nothing without Brady and Caserio isn't up to the task. Bring back O'Brien and also Dimitroff and Pioli.

This was a long comprehensive article by Barnwell. The Pats drafts the last 7 years have been.... abysmal. Maybe letting Caserio and McDaniels leave is a good thing. McDaniela is nothing without Brady and Caserio isn't up to the task. Bring back O'Brien and also Dimitroff and Pioli.

The draft these last 7 years has not been abysmal. You don't go to 3 straight SBs (winning 2) but having ****ty drafts during that period.

Rule of thumb is if you are getting 2 starters and 2 reserve/STers every draft you are ahead of the game.

2014- Jimmy, Sweet Feet, Stork, Fleming (count Malcom Butler?)
2015- Brown, Flowers, Mason, Cardona, D. Roberts (King? Andrews?)
2016- Thuney, Brissett, Mitchell, Hill, E. Roberts, Karas (JJ?)
2017- Wise (Adam Butler? Cooks via #1)
2018-Wynn, Michel, Bentley (JC Jackson?)

2019 & 2020 are too early to tell.

The draft these last 7 years has not been abysmal. You don't go to 3 straight SBs (winning 2) but having ****ty drafts during that period.

Rule of thumb is if you are getting 2 starters and 2 reserve/STers every draft you are ahead of the game.

Ok. I hear you. Who is Sweet Feet ? Also half of these guys, barely made the roster. They count for you even if they made the roster just for cheap body filler purposes?

Ok. I hear you. Who is Sweet Feet ? Also half of these guys, barely made the roster. They count for you even if they made the roster just for cheap body filler purposes?
James White is Sweet Feet.

The point is they picked players who at one point started, contributed and/or are key contributors for other teams.

This article does a nice job summarizing. Tom Brady leaving (he chose to leave, he put up his house on the market in Aug'18), and Brady's original spread out cap hits all accelerated to hit the Pats with $14M in dead money at once. Cutting AB (thanks Kraft) and several others also created dead money. They only had $1M to sign Cam at the time remember. Then later that summer a crazy high 8 players in the covid-19 opt-out left including Hightower, Chung, Cannon. So anyways this was always going to be a rebuilding year to clean the cap and set up for a strong 2021.

Just putting this all in perspective. Some need to chill out the same way it was unfair to pile on when Tom Brady completely didn't realize it was 4th down.
i am surprised he talked about chandler jones but not seymour or milloy or samuel or others. :rolleyes: . Chandler jones trade is constantly bought up all the time forgetting what happened after.

i am surprised he talked about chandler jones but not seymour or milloy or samuel or others. :rolleyes: . Chandler jones trade is constantly bought up all the time forgetting what happened after.

Chandler is a HOF path player. Too bad he took some bad 'medicines' one night and said hi to some cops

Chandler is a HOF path player. Too bad he took some bad 'medicines' one night and said hi to some cops
Not questioning his ability. But he wouldve wanted big money and we wouldnt have kept hightower. Then these guys wouldve lamented letting hightower go. Jones has 60 sacks , his team hasnt won much. but somehow is the missing piece/bad trade all the time when the pats struggle

Not questioning his ability. But he wouldve wanted big money and we wouldnt have kept hightower. Then these guys wouldve lamented letting hightower go. Jones has 60 sacks , his team hasnt won much. but somehow is the missing piece/bad trade all the time when the pats struggle

Agree. The Pats figured out 'pressures' is more important (and cost effective) than 'sacks'. Kind of like how OBP is more important than home run numbers....

Last edited:

Could not agree more. Pats have not nailed the draft but it is not the disaster some claim. I would take the 2015 haul every single year as Brown, Flowers, Mason and Andrews have all played important roles since joining the league. The Pats could certainly use Brown and Flowers this year. And while Karras, Roberts and Hill are not Pro Bowlers they are all making big contributions for the Dolphins and were good late round selections. Part of the Pats current issues has been an inability to keep their players past their rookie deals. There are a ton of Patriots draft picks/UFA playing across the league right now.

Its really not a smoking gun or excuse... We had a choice to either keep "kicking the can" and restructuring deals OR reset the salary cap. it was a good time to do it. Its a reason we didn't sign anyone in FA. Yes, drafting better would have helped, but 2021 we will have plenty of cash and cap space to sign a few players, and we are getting a ton of reps from our young players this year.

To me, letting guys like Uche/Jennings/Duggar get quality reps in is going to be enormous as well as guys like Meyers and Harry and even our young TEs (although Izzo is pretty useless).

IF we can fill a few holes via FA/Draft we will be competitive next year again. I dont blame clam for all our issue like some on talk radio are.

Appearing Monday on WEEI in Boston, Belichick said that his explanation isn’t an excuse. Even if it is.

“We sold out and won three Super Bowls, played in a fourth, and played in an AFC Championship Game,” Belichick said. “This year we have less to work with. It’s not an excuse. It’s just the facts.”

Belichick bristled at the notion that he was making excuses.

“I didn’t say it as an excuse,” Belichick said, via ESPN.com. “I never said that. Look, we paid Cam Newton a million dollars [on July 8]. It’s obvious we didn’t have any money. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s what we did the last five years. . . . It was an honest answer to an honest question. No more, no less than that. I’m sure you can read a lot into it if you want to. That wasn’t the intent.”

Its a different rebuilding year since TB is not here and he'd probably win 11-12 games with this roster. But I agree next year should be much better with all the cap space.
BS. Brady did not win games last year. The defense did. This offense is terrible.

I wish the pats didn't have to roll over thatonwy on the 8 opt outs into next year. We didn't use it on anything this year and now their money is still owes to them during a year in which we should be free of their service.

I hope there a way around that

Players opted out because they're sick of coach Bill. He drove Brady out of town and he drove Gronkowski into retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back