PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reminder: Pats Had $28.5M in Dead Cap Money in April.... then 8 Key Players Opted Out (Rebuild Year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all have different views.

Some of us have goals of
division
playoffs
playoff win
AFC championship and
Super Bowl

with the staff always planning to give a team at least competitive for the playoffs.

For me, that is the patriot way. It mean a lot to me that we have tied for the division win or for the wildcard spot every year since 2001. It means something that we won 10 game in so many seasons in a row. It would mean LESS if we just gave up on seasons where we weren't really competitive for the Super Bowl and figured to have little chance of being in the Championship Game.

Some see the first three goals as worthless.
=============
Some want to lose on purpose

175 mill is the whole cap number projection I believe
I believe that Agreement was that the cap (before team adjustments) couldn't be lower than $175M. Miguel can tell us how much is being carried over, net of incentives. So, for us, the calc is $175M+ any league change +$20M less future incentive payments and adjustments.

I believe that Agreement was that the cap (before team adjustments) couldn't be lower than $175M. Miguel can tell us how much is being carried over, net of incentives. So, for us, the calc is $175M+ any league change +$20M less future incentive payments and adjustments.
I am not aware of any agreement that puts a floor on the cap.

2021 NFL QB Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Nobody on this list will be paid anything close to 20M except Dak and I doubt he leaves the Cowboys.
You could trade for one not necessarily sign one in free agency and all the one that were brought up in are in that price range.

if you talk about Dak, it’s 30M at the minimum.

"
Former Colts center Jeff Saturday — having been an opponent of Belichick for years playing with quarterback Peyton Manning — noted that circumstances were against the Patriots in 2020.

“Bill Belichick still knows how to coach. “Like, they’ve got to get the quarterback situation figured out, I understand. But eight opt-outs, think about how many of the defensive guys are not there. When those guys get back — you know, [Dont’a] Hightower, [Patrick] Chung, you name it. This team will be back in the mix."

I am probably wrong but I would only take Hightower and Chung back with maybe an option on Vitale to see what he can offer. The rest can be let go , if possible. I dont want La Cosse back , we need a good experienced TE to help the two rookies we have.

7 wins this season is a success when there were so many naysayers here predicting 2-14 or 3-13 during the spring time , given we had zero cap room and 25M in dead money and 8 key players opting out due to covid, plus our starting QB and MVP cornerback both got covid in Oct which ruined a month.

I am probably wrong but I would only take Hightower and Chung back with maybe an option on Vitale to see what he can offer. The rest can be let go , if possible. I dont want La Cosse back , we need a good experienced TE to help the two rookies we have.

Yes, lots of players under contract are cut every year.

"
He later expounded on the Patriots cap situation in even plainer terms.

“I mean, look we paid Cam Newton a million dollars,” Belichick said. “I mean, it’s obvious that we didn’t have any money. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s what we did the last five years. We sold out and won three Super Bowls, played in a fourth and played in an AFC Championship Game. This year we had less to work with. It’s not an excuse, it’s just a fact.”

The Patriots carried $28.5 million in dead money on their salary cap in 2020 — including $13.5 million for Tom Brady — and though player opt-outs freed out some money, there was a time back in May when some were wondering how they’d find the money to sign their rookie draft class."

Maybe it should have been made more explicit, but this year many people expected the Pats to be even worse than 7-9. So it's very weird to see people trying to say this year show's anything about Brady and Belichick. It's a very silly point from people like Borges who have had an axe to grind for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes