PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox fire Dave Dombrowski

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Holy crap. Not even a year after winning the WS. :confused:

Must be a personal thing because at the very least he did win a title.

A couple of years ago Eddie Romero was a single A manager in Albany NY

In some ways a scapegoat. But, the closer by committee horses$$$ has never worked. Good baseball guy with a seeming blind spot when it comes to pitching.

I like it. He did what we brought him here to do, and fired him before he could completely dismantle the talent pipeline as is his long-term MO

DD went all in last year and won a championship. As a result, they didn’t have the prospects to trade for a closer and the ownership wouldn’t approve more spending.

This ownership spends a lot and has won four championships, but they’re so hard to like. They’re always trying to control their image and blaming others... DD, Epstein, Cherington, Francona...

Last edited:
I like it. He did what we brought him here to do, and fired him before he could completely dismantle the talent pipeline as is his long-term MO
Yep, team needs young talent. And that contract to Sales

What are the Red Sox?
Asking that question embarrasses you. So, you don't like baseball and you love football and the Patriots. Just enjoy this as we all do. But, don't denigrate a legitimately great sports franchise. It makes you look like a juvenile, insecure jerk-off.

DD went all in last year and won a championship. As a result, they didn’t have the prospects to trade for a closer and the ownership wouldn’t approve more spending.

This ownership spends a lot and has won four championships, but they’re so hard to like. They’re always trying to control their image and blaming others... DD, Epstein, Cherington, Francour...
Yeah I still haven't really forgiven ownership for the smear job they did on Francona on his way out of town. It was almost comically petty.

Even though it was coming off of a title year, it was the right thing to do.

The last thing i wanted was DD making the mookie trade that could happen this off season. its time to rebuild the farm.

Some questionable decisions from the front office and Cora, both, this year.

How do you expect to play 162 games without a decent closer?? Something like 27 blown saves and he did nothing about this??? Dombrowski decimated the farm system..

Have always admired the way Tampa Bay has operated, keep generating young'uns and somehow they put a very good "product" on the field that always contends..

How do you expect to play 162 games without a decent closer?? Something like 27 blown saves and he did nothing about this??? Dombrowski decimated the farm system..

Have always admired the way Tampa Bay has operated, keep generating young'uns and somehow they put a very good "product" on the field that always contends..

I agree on both points. I thought it was irresponsible to go into the season without a closer. I suspect it was because they didn't have the prospect to trade for one and the ownership said no to paying a free agent. It was part of the cost of last season. It's hard to complain after winning a WS, 108 regular season games, and going 11-2 in the playoffs. Still not having one despite having an otherwise loaded roster was stupid. It would be like Pats going into this season with a lousy kicker they just signed off the street.

I agree about Tampa. Epstein had an excellent approach of balancing the current roster and managing the future. He still doing well with that in Chicago. The ownership bungled that.

The last thing i wanted was DD making the mookie trade that could happen this off season. its time to rebuild the farm.

I hope they take a good look into trading Mookie this offseason. I love the guy, but he has every intention of hitting free agency and it will only take one team to make him a stupid offer (10/350+?) even just for marketing reasons. If they can pick up multiple young talented pitchers for him, you have to to it. They are about tapped out financially and the farm system is bare.

We need a Closer? We need an entire pitching staff. It may not be his fault that Sale, Price, Porecello, and Eovaldi all turned to pumpkins at the same time. Never the less we have a sky-high payroll and very few promising prospects. While Dave Dombrowski won a World Series, he left the team ship wrecked for years to come. :(

We need a Closer? We need an entire pitching staff. It may not be his fault that Sale, Price, Porecello, and Eovaldi all turned to pumpkins at the same time. Never the less we have a sky-high payroll and very few promising prospects. While Dave Dombrowski won a World Series, he left the team ship wrecked for years to come. :(
I hold out hope for Eovaldi, and obviously fingers crossed Sale can get back. Porcello's toast, it happens. Price I hate anyway, so whatever. So will need 2-3 new starters.

But the closer thing was a choice. It's one area where the sabermetrics types get way too stubborn. I looked at SOSH, and so many still hold onto the idea that "you should pitch your best guy at the key part of the game, not necessarily the end." Rubbish. Closing games is a whole different animal. You need that guy, and you need other guys to know their roles. You can't say to the rest of the bullpen, you guys aren't up to the task, so this guy will pitch in the most important spots...but, oh yeah, we want you to close tonight. It's idiotic.

But lots of room for hope...the top four guys in the lineup are sick. Hopefully find a way to keep Betts, add some pitching, rebuild the farm system. Lot to do, but there's a lot there already.

Good riddance...the same reasons his Tigers teams couldn't get over the hump reared their ugly heads here this season...he had to go now because he would only continue to gut the farm system and field inferior bullpens...But Eddie Romero?...That Eddie Romero?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back