2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Choose One

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I strongly support bring Brady back.

2) Are you really asking whether we can afford to have a QB in addition to Stidham and Kessler.

3) If Brady goes, $6.75M of 2021 cap money will be accelerated. That will be a dead cost in 2020. That SUNK cost does not mean that we don't sign a QB. We just would have $6.75M less to spend in 2020.

4) With regard to the cost of a veteran, that would be spread into future years, just like all contracts. And no, I don't think that total need be more than if we retain Brady. For me, I just plug in $20M of cap space at the QB, whether Brady stays or not. The very important details can be worked out by the team's cap folks.

I don’t know how we would have the money. We would have $13.5 mill dead with Brady gone and then if we wanted a Dalton or a Bridgewater I doubt we’re getting them for less than $20 mill. If we’re gonna tie up $33 mill on a QB it might as well be Brady.

1) I strongly support bring Brady back.

2) Are you really asking whether we can afford to have a QB in addition to Stidham and Kessler.

3) If Brady goes, $6.75M of 2021 cap money will be accelerated. That will be a dead cost in 2020. That SUNK cost does not mean that we don't sign a QB. We just would have $6.75M less to spend in 2020.

4) With regard to the cost of a veteran, that would be spread into future years, just like all contracts. And no, I don't think that total need be more than if we retain Brady. For me, I just plug in $20M of cap space at the QB, whether Brady stays or not. The very important details can be worked out by the team's cap folks.
Kessler doesn’t mean anything to next year. He’s not going to be a starter. If Brady is re-signed then we have the $6 mill in dead money. If he leaves then it’s $13.5. If you don’t have Brady and only want to plug in $20 mill in cap room then you have $6.5 mill and would be lucky to end up with an AJ Mccarron type at QB.

SITUATION
Brady leaves. There is $13.5M of dead money.

YOUR ANALYSIS
$6.5M of 2020 cap money is nowhere enough to get a decent veteran.

CONSIDER
$1.5M salary
$15M bonus over 3 years (contract can be fake or not)
with some guaranteed money in 2021
That's $6.5M of 2020 cap money

WHAT DO THINK THE 2020 CAP WOULD BRADY TAKE UP
Would it be more than $20M or less. You start with $6.75M of dead money.

CONCLUSION
From a cap standpoint, all options are open, including keeping Brady, and addinf a veteran (in addition to Stidham and draftee). In each example, the QB position would use $13.25 of the available cap money for a total of $2oM (in addition to Stidham and the draftee).

Kessler doesn’t mean anything to next year. He’s not going to be a starter. If Brady is re-signed then we have the $6 mill in dead money. If he leaves then it’s $13.5. If you don’t have Brady and only want to plug in $20 mill in cap room then you have $6.5 mill and would be lucky to end up with an AJ Mccarron type at QB.

SITUATION
Brady leaves. There is $13.5M of dead money.

YOUR ANALYSIS
$6.5M of 2020 cap money is nowhere enough to get a decent veteran.

CONSIDER
$1.5M salary
$15M bonus over 3 years (contract can be fake or not)
with some guaranteed money in 2021
That's $6.5M of 2020 cap money

WHAT DO THINK THE 2020 CAP WOULD BRADY TAKE UP
Would it be more than $20M or less. You start with $6.75M of dead money.

CONCLUSION
From a cap standpoint, all options are open, including keeping Brady, and addinf a veteran (in addition to Stidham and draftee). In each example, the QB position would use $13.25 of the available cap money for a total of $2oM (in addition to Stidham and the draftee).
I’m not going to pretend to be a cap expert by any means but I’d assume any “bridge” QB we sign would be two years tops. Not sure how far they can spread money out over two years. In the end of the day it makes most sense to bring Brady back as far as I’m concerned.

I’m not going to pretend to be a cap expert by any means but I’d assume any “bridge” QB we sign would be two years tops. Not sure how far they can spread money out over two years. In the end of the day it makes most sense to bring Brady back as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, it makes most sense to bring back Brady.

1. A bridge QB could sign a 4 contract with a huge bonus in Year 3, making out effectively a 2 year contract. So, the 2020 salary is low and the cap is the total of the salary and 1/4 of the bonus.

2. For example, a contract could have 2M 2020 salary and a $18M bonus. The 2020 cap hit would be $6.5M.

3. The 2021 cap hit would 2021 salary plus $4.5M, some of which could be guaranteed.

4. $9M would be dead money moved into 2022.

Yes, it makes most sense to bring back Brady.

1. A bridge QB could sign a 4 contract with a huge bonus in Year 3, making out effectively a 2 year contract. So, the 2020 salary is low and the cap is the total of the salary and 1/4 of the bonus.

2. For example, a contract could have 2M 2020 salary and a $18M bonus. The 2020 cap hit would be $6.5M.

3. The 2021 cap hit would 2021 salary plus $4.5M, some of which could be guaranteed.

4. $9M would be dead money moved into 2022.
I agree with your premise that it could be done. I just don’t think kicking the can for a bridge QB would be wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes