Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Choose One

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the two Bills games and the Cowboys game they could have lost. The Texans game they outgained them with a bunch of plastic yards at the end when Houston went into a very crappy prevent defense.

You can say they could've ended up 11-5 just as easily as they could've ended up 14-2.

Which makes them....a very good team.

Reload

People get so hung up on everything being big and symbolic. Sometimes it's just not your year. It's been not the Patriots' year before and they came back stronger and better than they had been.

Sometimes it's just a matter of building continuity, gaining experience for younger players, being luckier on the injury front, etc.

Not arguing that they are a bad team. Just that close games can easily go either way.
I don’t think it’s a matter of could have. Because winning close games is a skill that good teams possess not luck of the draw.

But it’s more a matter of how far away they are/were.

I’d say this is the first draft since 2010 that they absolutely need to nail. Luckily, they won’t have Gronk’s indecision hanging over their heads this year so that’s one road block that they dealt with in 2019 that won’t be there in 2020.

Belichick missed out on Kittle because of this. He should've had an insurance policy just for this reason.

This all depends on what happens with Brady. If Tommy walks away I think you rebuild. Move on from some of your ageing, more expensive guys and look to the future. I don’t think this team has the talent to seriously compete next year with Stidham as the QB.

If TB12 comes back then you take advantage and reload for one last serious run with this dynasty. You obviously have to give Brady weapons and I don’t think you can expect a major contribution from a rookie at WR or TE. We have seen how difficult it is for a rookie WR to gain Brady’s trust and as we get closer to the end I don’t know if Tom will have as much patience trying to develop guys. Historically rookie TE’s haven’t had big seasons and take time to develop, especially as blockers. If we only have 1 year left I don’t think a rookie TE is gonna cut it.

I would go all out after Odell Beckham Jr and hope the dysfunction in Cleveland would let them trade him for the #23 pick. OJ Howard is being wasted in Tampa and his value is dropping by the day. He is a good blocker could break out with a QB doesn’t throw the ball to the other team half the time. I would also look into AJ Green and see if he would be willing to take a heavily incentivised contract to try and get a ring (doubtful but worth a call). We will be really tight with cap space if Brady comes back but we would have to sacrifice a little bit of the future for one last run.

Finally I would do everything I could to try and talk Gronk into coming back, even just for half a season. Can you imagine how much energy he would give this team coming back mid-season? I still have a lot of confidence this team can win in 2020 with Brady

I don’t disagree and am not suggesting no attempts at upgrades. But given past history here and the salary needs of a real stud WR, unless somehow another Randy Moss becomes available (no comment, don’t want to derail into another AB thread....), I’d rather see them attempt this with mid-lower level free agents (like LaFell and Hogan) and hope for that outcome, rather than spending big bucks or a day 1/2 draft pick. But that’s my opinion; prioritizing cap and picks on WR is certainly a valid approach but in my opinion likely has a smaller chance of improving the overall offense. I certainly agree that we don’t want them walking into 2020 training camp with the same group of guys (plus udfa’s and injury flyers).

Why stop at Hogan and LaFell? Why not bring back Shane Vereen or Danny Woodhead or hell, why not the corpses of Steven Jackson and Maurice Jones Drew as far as the running game is concerned, while you're at it? Don't forget to inquire about Logan Mankins' retirement as well.

I'm firmly in the rebuild camp.

There have been two rebuilds in the Belichick era. One when he took over, the other at the turn of the last decade. The Patriots managed to win a Super Bowl during the first, and appeared in a Super Bowl during the second. This will be quick.

I chose reload.

Trade Gronks rights to Indy for Andrew Lucks rights and try and talk Luck into coming out of retirement.

Reload. The better Tennessee does the better i feel about next year, if Brady is back. We were one yard away from taking full control of that game , really should have beaten that team. Not sure they win it all but I think they will prove to be as tough as anyone out there, meaning as is we still have a shot on any Sunday.

That said, we still have issues to fix if we wanna win multiple playoff games, need to fill some holes on offense. Bring brady back, keep as much of the D in place as much as you can, and find a playmaker or 2 on offense. Would make a huge difference if we get andrews and develin back too.

I think some people think the sky is falling when it isn't anywhere near as bad as some are making it out to be. Yes the offense needs weapons. Yes Brady didn't look great at times but if Brady comes back and they get him an NFL caliber tight end and make a move for a higher end receiver I think we in Super Bowl contention again.

I'm telling you.......invest heavily on the trenches......

Everything depends on what they do at QB. If BB thinks that Stidham is good enough to play at the Tannehill/Cousins/Prescott level then maybe he thinks he can use the cap relief to load up at TE/WR and make a run. If he thinks Stidham is a year away or not the long term answer then the decision seems to lean towards bringing Brady back on a 1 year deal if he can. If Brady prices himself beyond what BB thinks makes sense and he is not sold on Stidham then I could see him taking a flier on someone like Mariota. Team has too much talent to not go for it.

Then that is good news because it’s another reason to get him re-signed before it voids.

It is another reason to "try" to re-sign Brady before the contract voids.

We should just trash can everything. The Texans, Titans, or Chiefs who will eventually make the Super Bowl are simply unbeatable.

Dynasty’s dead. Let’s give up.

Or we stop thinking the sky is falling cause we don’t win it every single year, work to improve the roster, and get right back into contention w/Brady.

It simply comes down to the decision with Brady, once that’s decided they will make their other moves accordingly.

We will know the “ sky is falling” if they take Peter King’s suggestion and sign Andy Dalton. In which case it will be the first tim in my life where I don’t watch the Patriots.

I chose reload, but that's 100% contingent on Brady coming back. I suppose there's also a chance that a solid veteran QB, or a "can't miss" (if there is such a thing) QB drops far enough that they can make a move to draft him, in which case you could try to go for it again. But in reality, if Brady leaves/retires, they should be thinking about next year or the year after, and use 2020 to get in the best position financially, and with the best collection of young talent they can find.

There's no rule that says you have to suck for years after losing a HoF QB. It's HARD, don't get me wrong, and I'm not putting any money on them doing that, but there's ways they can make it easier on themselves. Starting by making sure that, whoever the next guy is, he's got the best supporting cast he can get to develop properly.

We will know the “ sky is falling” if they take Peter King’s suggestion and sign Andy Dalton. In which case it will be the first tim in my life where I don’t watch the Patriots.

If Brady leaves, I expect us to acquire a free agent veteran quarterback, and also draft a quarterback.

No I don't expect us to sign Dalton. HOWEVER, if Belichick has decided that Stidham and a rookie should be competing for the role of backup and QB of the future, we could do worse than have Dalton as a backup.

If Brady leaves, I expect us to acquire a free agent veteran quarterback, and also draft a quarterback.

No I don't expect us to sign Dalton. HOWEVER, if Belichick has decided that Stidham and a rookie should be competing for the role of backup and QB of the future, we could do worse than have Dalton as a backup.
I don’t know how we would have the money. We would have $13.5 mill dead with Brady gone and then if we wanted a Dalton or a Bridgewater I doubt we’re getting them for less than $20 mill. If we’re gonna tie up $33 mill on a QB it might as well be Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down