PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens strategic blunder vs Tenn... anybody else notice this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Once the Titans got up by 2 TDs... which I believe happened right at the beginning of the 2nd quarter... the Ravens stopped running their core play... RPO’s... almost completely.

Instead, Jackson was dropping back every play... or running it himself. The RBs had hardly any carries from that point on (9 in the game TOTAL).

Dunno if it was panic, or what, but the Balt OC basically was acting like it was the 4th quarter. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they did that. :) But what an idiot. Or put another way...

Almost all the media folks are pointing this out. BTW, the OC you are discussing is the one that so many think is worthy of being a HC because of his genius on Offense.

Once the Titans got up by 2 TDs... which I believe happened right at the beginning of the 2nd quarter... the Ravens stopped running their core play... RPO’s... almost completely.

Instead, Jackson was dropping back every play... or running it himself. The RBs had hardly any carries from that point on (9 in the game TOTAL).

Dunno if it was panic, or what, but the Balt OC basically was acting like it was the 4th quarter. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they did that. :) But what an idiot. Or put another way...

It was fascinating to watch the borderline meltdown the team had when it was 14-0

I keep hearing people say this but my eyes did not see it. I still saw plenty of RPO type plays. If anything, I saw the opposite. I saw the Ravens continuously go on 3+ minute drives that yielded between 0 and 3 points. Of course Jackson threw it more than the Ravens would have liked. That's the whole way you beat a team like that.

I keep hearing people say this but my eyes did not see it. I still saw plenty of RPO type plays. If anything, I saw the opposite. I saw the Ravens continuously go on 3+ minute drives that yielded between 0 and 3 points.

They were mostly short passes and Jackson scrambling for way less chunk yardage than usual. This is from their first FG drive:

3ADCFEFA-4D82-47B5-A0DE-3EBFF5C84CAC.png

Almost all Jackson. Look at the other drives... very similar.

Last edited:

This scenario was brought up in the “How to best the Ravens thread.” The board almost universally agreed that, should Baltimore trail by 2+ scores early on, it would be stupid to abandon their regular offense that is predicated on the running game and Jackson gaining big chunks on the ground.

But this is why the postseason always surprises us. Guys let the pressure get to them and act out of character. At 7-0, you felt a sense of dread from the Ravens and immediately Mike Tyson’s line came ringing true: “Every guy has a plan until he gets punched in the mouth.” That’s why crowing teams in November/December is so foolish. Often the teams with the most confidence and least adversity faced are the ones that totally lose their sht. Even Jackson lost his cool very early on. The entire Ravens team was capable of such greatness during the season and hence such a great collapse as well. It is true with every team.

Football really is a game of rhythm and emotion, and naturally rhythm can be broken.

Harbaugh deserves an F for that game. Didn’t have the team focused and cracked when they fell behind. He should have shut Earl Thomas up when he was talking about the Super Bowl.

You’d think Harbaugh with his experience wouldn’t have allowed this to happen.

Coaching decisions were brought up everywhere. Just like defense being poor, penalties, dropped passes, options hurt etc

Baltimore caught lightning in a bottle but everything went wrong last night. Including the QB playing bad.

Seemed to me the Ravens had relatively little trouble moving the ball most of the game — certainly less trouble than we did. For example, they had 3rd and 16 from their own 10 with 1:45 left in the second quarter and got a FG out of it, almost a TD. That drive was a thing of beauty.

As someone else pointed out, what killed them was three turnovers and four failed fourth down conversions. That’s how you put up 500 yards and score 12 points. Those are all on the offense, sure, but in general the offense did pretty well and their approach didn’t seem to be a strategic blunder.

RPO is not their core play.

Ingram was beat up... But i think you need to give the Titans credit... They beat the ravens at their own game

Plus they dropped tons of passes

The Ravens came into the game and didn't think their run game could be stopped and had no backup plan once it failed. They were shocked when their 4th down qb sneaks failed etc. The Ravens ignored that the Titan's short yardage d stopped us only last week at the goal line.

I enjoyed watching the Ravens look confused.

Hope they enjoyed their regular season SB victory.

Almost all the media folks are pointing this out. BTW, the OC you are discussing is the one that so many think is worthy of being a HC because of his genius on Offense.
Put up 30+ vs the BoogerBoyz

'Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face'

absolutely...they got behind and panicked...the one situation they dreaded was their
getting behind...instead of sticking to the game plan, they went over to pass, pass, pass...the one thing that the Titans wanted...

Seemed to me the Ravens had relatively little trouble moving the ball most of the game — certainly less trouble than we did. For example, they had 3rd and 16 from their own 10 with 1:45 left in the second quarter and got a FG out of it, almost a TD. That drive was a thing of beauty.

As someone else pointed out, what killed them was three turnovers and four failed fourth down conversions. That’s how you put up 500 yards and score 12 points. Those are all on the offense, sure, but in general the offense did pretty well and their approach didn’t seem to be a strategic blunder.

So, other than that, how did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?

RPO is not their core play.
RPO isn’t even a play, the ravens do use a lot of them combined with zone reads and triple options. I do agree it’s not their core play, they hang their hat on zone read plays.

The Titans has a great game plan and forced the Ravens to be uncomfortable. Well played Vrabel!

The Titans won as a team. Big surprise that they would edify the Pats.

The Ravens tried to win with Jackson. Yes, Ingram was banged up, but still who has been credited for all the success of the Ravens unique offense? Superman. Cam Newton all over again.

Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye