PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sneaky hunch for DaeSean Hamilton who could step into the Jordan Matthews role next year. Anthony Miller is another I love. If you get a chance, watch him block.

I haven't watched much of the wide receivers because I don't think they're in the market for one, but Miller is beloved of the amateur draft scout community.

One thing I would say is that I can’t ever remember a Patriots pick being telegraphed like this Jackson one is. Maybe Harvey Langi but he was a UDFA ultimately. There was that Navy QB whose name escapes me, Su’a Cravens and Tyrann Matthieu that we’re heavily linked to the Pats pre-draft but of corse, they went elsewhere.

I think they love a fair number of guys each year and you only get so many picks and other teams pick guys too. Sometimes they just love someone a little more than the next guy, so some other team gets him. Doesn't mean they didn't like the player, just means they liked someone else more and you can't get em all.

Interesting Ringer article on qualities NFL gms should be looking at in quarterbacks (didn't see it posted)

Richner believes that though most of the keys to projecting quarterbacks lie in the numbers, traditional indicators like the ability to perform in a collapsing pocket, keeping your eyes up during a throw, and comfort with audibles are all still key components of the evaluation process. Richner’s biggest key, however, is completion percentage, particularly on third down, when passing windows are tightest—and that is where he differs greatly from many NFL evaluators. He believes Mayfield’s numbers resemble Drew Brees’s and that he’s well worth a high pick, and he also has USC’s Darnold as a first-round pick. He thinks Allen, he of the 56 percent completion rate, is not a prospect, and he believes that UCLA’s Rosen is “awful” because of the dip in his completion percentage from second to third down. He said the 12 percentage point dip is on par with Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, and Locker. None of whom was … good. On the other side of the spectrum: Seattle’s Russell Wilson is the best collegiate passer on third down since 2009.

Will NFL Teams Ever Get Smarter About Drafting Quarterbacks?

here's another "uneducated" Ringer article which also addresses Jackson:

I keep seeing Jackson listed as the fifth-best quarterback in this draft class, after (in some order) Mayfield, Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen. I can’t imagine watching college football over the past few years and coming away thinking that Jackson is the fifth best of those players at anything.

If Mayfield is the QB who was best at distributing the ball to his teammates, Jackson was the best at scoring his damn self. Lacking a strong supporting cast, he became a one-man show for Louisville, tallying 51 total touchdowns en route to a runaway Heisman Trophy victory as a sophomore and adding a piddly 45 touchdowns as a junior. One of my favorite games from the past few seasons was Clemson’s 42-36 win over Louisville in 2016, a high-flying duel between Jackson and Deshaun Watson. They combined for 854 yards of total offense and eight touchdowns.

For some reason, NFL scouts seem to believe that a quarterback’s ability to run the football effectively amounts to evidence that said QB is not good at passing. Watson’s success as a rookie was a rebuke of that. And yet here we are: Jackson is a gifted passer, and a former NFL general manager went on TV to say that he should play receiver because he also happens to be fast.

Personally, I think it’s a bonus that Jackson can not only throw a football well—something few humans on the planet are capable of!—but also can hurdle people, dodge sprinting defenders with ease, and outrun anybody pesky enough to try to pressure him. Sometimes quarterbacks have to do those things—in fact, it can be a very useful part of modern NFL strategy!

Baker Mayfield Should Be the Top Pick in the 2018 Draft
That second article is written by a fan, not an NFL reporter, analyst, or anyone with any cred.

LJ will be a HoF player with the right team. The rain dead ignore 3 private meetings with the layer and fantasize that they spent the time scouting a potential rival too funny.

Interesting Ringer article on qualities NFL gms should be looking at in quarterbacks (didn't see it posted)

Richner believes that though most of the keys to projecting quarterbacks lie in the numbers, traditional indicators like the ability to perform in a collapsing pocket, keeping your eyes up during a throw, and comfort with audibles are all still key components of the evaluation process. Richner’s biggest key, however, is completion percentage, particularly on third down, when passing windows are tightest—and that is where he differs greatly from many NFL evaluators. He believes Mayfield’s numbers resemble Drew Brees’s and that he’s well worth a high pick, and he also has USC’s Darnold as a first-round pick. He thinks Allen, he of the 56 percent completion rate, is not a prospect, and he believes that UCLA’s Rosen is “awful” because of the dip in his completion percentage from second to third down. He said the 12 percentage point dip is on par with Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, and Locker. None of whom was … good. On the other side of the spectrum: Seattle’s Russell Wilson is the best collegiate passer on third down since 2009.

Will NFL Teams Ever Get Smarter About Drafting Quarterbacks?

here's another "uneducated" Ringer article which also addresses Jackson:

I keep seeing Jackson listed as the fifth-best quarterback in this draft class, after (in some order) Mayfield, Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen. I can’t imagine watching college football over the past few years and coming away thinking that Jackson is the fifth best of those players at anything.

If Mayfield is the QB who was best at distributing the ball to his teammates, Jackson was the best at scoring his damn self. Lacking a strong supporting cast, he became a one-man show for Louisville, tallying 51 total touchdowns en route to a runaway Heisman Trophy victory as a sophomore and adding a piddly 45 touchdowns as a junior. One of my favorite games from the past few seasons was Clemson’s 42-36 win over Louisville in 2016, a high-flying duel between Jackson and Deshaun Watson. They combined for 854 yards of total offense and eight touchdowns.

For some reason, NFL scouts seem to believe that a quarterback’s ability to run the football effectively amounts to evidence that said QB is not good at passing. Watson’s success as a rookie was a rebuke of that. And yet here we are: Jackson is a gifted passer, and a former NFL general manager went on TV to say that he should play receiver because he also happens to be fast.

Personally, I think it’s a bonus that Jackson can not only throw a football well—something few humans on the planet are capable of!—but also can hurdle people, dodge sprinting defenders with ease, and outrun anybody pesky enough to try to pressure him. Sometimes quarterbacks have to do those things—in fact, it can be a very useful part of modern NFL strategy!

Baker Mayfield Should Be the Top Pick in the 2018 Draft

Its been a while since both the public & "scouts" were both this clueless about a prospect. LoL Matt Miller, a supposed expert ...

The closer we get to the draft, the more I want the Pats to draft LJ...for Josh McDaniels to actually have a private workout, says A LOT...I really hope we grab this guy, no disrespect to TB12

The closer we get to the draft, the more I want the Pats to draft LJ...for Josh McDaniels to actually have a private workout, says A LOT...I really hope we grab this guy, no disrespect to TB12
It's not disrespect. We need to draft the QB (hopefully) of the future. Whether it's LJ or someone else, Brady will be retired by the time their rookie contract expires.

quietly brought in yet we know about it....too funny

It will be historic to watch if LJ becomes a Patriot and takes Brady's job away before he's ready to retire...what then Bob?

Roto:
An offensive coordinator told NFL Network he doesn't expect Lamar Jackson to make it as a quarterback.

"Will not be able to play quarterback in this league, mark my words," the coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes." A quarterbacks coach added that Jackson struggled to "verbalize" his offensive scheme at Louisville. Jackson's accuracy and football IQ have been questioned throughout the pre-draft process, but he's not expected to fall out of the first round

Roto:
An offensive coordinator told NFL Network he doesn't expect Lamar Jackson to make it as a quarterback.

"Will not be able to play quarterback in this league, mark my words," the coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes." A quarterbacks coach added that Jackson struggled to "verbalize" his offensive scheme at Louisville. Jackson's accuracy and football IQ have been questioned throughout the pre-draft process, but he's not expected to fall out of the first round
It be crazy if Buff drafts Jackson then BB watches Rosen fall within range or take 2 defensive stalwarts and rushes to the podium to call Randolphs name

He's intriguing, but I just don't want a damn 1st round pick spent on a QB (let alone 2 packaged to trade up) especially when the team needs some major talent infusion on both sides of the ball. There's holes/aging players/question marks at LT, TE, WR, RB, LB, Safety (Chung and McCourty turn 31 soon).

QBs in the 1st round are the biggest gamble you can possibly take. Now factor in a guy like this with a low completion %, low football intellect, primarily familiar with running, and needs developing as a passer. No thanks.

Ride it out with Brady and go for #6. Build a young, strong, reliable defense that'll be there for Brady, who deserves it, and his future successor when the time comes.

He's intriguing, but I just don't want a damn 1st round pick spent on a QB (let alone 2 packaged to trade up) especially when the team needs some major talent infusion on both sides of the ball. There's holes/aging players/question marks at LT, TE, WR, RB, LB, Safety (Chung and McCourty turn 31 soon).

QBs in the 1st round are the biggest gamble you can possibly take. Now factor in a guy like this with a low completion %, low football intellect, primarily familiar with running, and needs developing as a passer. No thanks.

Ride it out with Brady and go for #6. Build a young, strong, reliable defense that'll be there for Brady, who deserves it, and his future successor when the time comes.
You have an interesting thought in there.

Given 2 choices which would you prefer as a patsfan?

1) spend picks on non qbs and focus on Brady’s final 3 or so years trying to win SBs.
Figure out qb later.

2) draft a qb who could be the future starter for a number of yrars but win no more SBs under Brady.

Roto:

Someone wants Jackson to fall to them

Our Pats won't get a shot at Josh Allen. He's the only prospect I'd consider Patriots material as the team's coaching staff is currently constructed.He QB'ed a team with little talent and thyat shows in his stats, which I could care less about. Can he make all the throws and is he ready to throw while back pedaling into a pocket? He's the only QB in the top of this draft that's NFL "ready" IMO.

Lauletta would seem to be the obvious next best choice. I wouldn't want anything to do with Rudolph.

I FEEL that BB will move OUT of the first round and make hay in the 2nd and third, banking a first rounder into next years draft.

I really don’t want the Pats to use EXTRA picks to go up and get LJ. If he’s there are 23 and you want him, grab him.

This team has a lot of holes, and though they need a Brady protege, one could be found in round 2 (or 3). Really need to grab some defensive studs early (like in 2012). Guys like Lauletta, Faulk, White, etc will be available and rounds 2 & 3.

90% chance this is a smokescreen. I feel the Pats are trying to jack up the value on Jackson if he falls to 23. They are hoping to get a sweetheart deal for this pick. If they don't get a good deal, they could always just select Jackson and keep him for themselves, if he lasts that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots