PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just asked this in the draft forum. What do you think his floor is? Colin Kaepernick? What about his upside? Pre dog-fighting Michael Vick? A slighter Cam Newton?

Just watched Lamar against Miss St. if we draft him, prepare to be, in equal parts, both exhilarated and terrified in pre-season this year. Some of his passes are horrendous. Some of his runs are impossible.

Must be cheating again. :eek::D

GMF led off with the Pats and Lamar connection this morning and Mr. Jackson without the benefit? of a agent helped by his mom has created a pre-draft media thriller.

SI Peter King has LJ off the board to the Bengals at #21.

Bruce Arians Oh Baby LJ quote just put him in the top 15 IMO.

I’ve just asked this in the draft forum. What do you think his floor is? Colin Kaepernick? What about his upside? Pre dog-fighting Michael Vick? A slighter Cam Newton?
Geno smith 2.0

Just watched Lamar against Miss St. if we draft him, prepare to be, in equal parts, both exhilarated and terrified in pre-season this year. Some of his passes are horrendous. Some of his runs are impossible.
Floor - Akili Smith

Ceiling - Mike Vick

I’d personally pass. But BB seems to have a newfound respect for mobile QBs which is evident by the way he calls a defense against them.

I think a more accurate pre-arrest Vick who doesn't lock on to Alge Crumpler. I don't know if that's as good as Cam Newton, who's one of the better pure passers in the league which he supplements with his running ability (but probably should stop for the sake of his health) but it's still a very, very good QB.

At worst he's a super sub who you can use in packages and get the ball to, or you could try to turn him into a wide receiver. Note that I don't think he's a wide receiver, I just think that if he busts as a QB there's still a lot you can do with him that you can't do with the other top-5 QBs. For this reason as well as his quarterbacking skillset, I actually think he's the safest pick among the top-5 QBs.

The thing about Jackson, and this is a big deal for the NFL, is that most of his big run plays were designed runs. A lot of these running guys go one read and if the receiver is covered, they pull the ball down and run with it. You can get away with that in college but it's a liability in the pros.

Not Jackson, he would go through his progressions and not panic. His ball pplacement still good on his second or third read. To me, that suggests he won't get himself hurt scrambling around and that he has the mental makeup to be a pro QB in a timing offense like the Patriots'.

The thing about Jackson, and this is a big deal for the NFL, is that most of his big run plays were designed runs. A lot of these running guys go one read and if the receiver is covered, they pull the ball down and run with it. You can get away with that in college but it's a liability in the pros.

Not Jackson, he would go through his progressions and not panic. His ball pplacement still good on his second or third read. To me, that suggests he won't get himself hurt scrambling around and that he has the mental makeup to be a pro QB in a timing offense like the Patriots'.
No flaws?

I've never been able to reconcile in my head that the same Josh McDaniel that runs the Patriots air attack while coach/GM of the Broncos also drafted Tim Tebow in the first round apparently of his own free will. He also managed to squeeze out a win with rookie Jacoby Brissette. It could be he has a lot of thoughts about how to utilize a mobile QB that will go unexpressed until Brady retires. It should be said that Jackson seems to be regarded as a better passer than Tebow.

The one LJ stat that I don't think the Pats can ignore is his 13 score on the Wonderlic.

My gut screams out a smokescreen is in play.

On the other hand mobile athletic black QBS did well against the Pats last year and Jacoby impressed as well so maybe Bill is on the level.

If the Patriots “ quietly” brought in Jackson, Florio would not know about it. I smell diversion.

LJ floor, Tim Tebow, Football player who can play as a non QB and excel.

Ceiling? TB12 with elite athletic skills. The stuff that needs to be 'fixed' his throwing mechanics depends on the kid's attitude. IMO he wants to be a great QB, so he will put in the work. I have seen some film analysis that shows him staying the pocket and taking a hit rather than running to make a play. Going through progressions.

I want the kid to be there at 23, I think he will develop into a GREAT HOF QB,...IF put in the right situation. The Patriots and learning by being in the room with Brady is the right situation IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes