Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Aren’t you a vegan or a vegetarian, IIRC? Why would you feel the need to get into keto? Not trying to criticize. Just curious. Also, do you plan to stick with it the rest of your adult life? If not, buyer beware. You’ll balloon.

You're right. My brother, who's older than me, recently went keto and urged me to check it out. I'm doing some research and have found valid arguments against it so am on the fence for now. One aspect I really like about it is minimizing carbs and getting energy from healthy fats but the emphasis on high amounts of animal protein is a real stumbling block, IMO.

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
You're right. My brother, who's older than me, recently went keto and urged me to check it out. I'm doing some research and have found valid arguments against it so am on the fence for now. One aspect I really like about it is minimizing carbs and getting energy from healthy fats but the emphasis on high amounts of animal protein is a real stumbling block, IMO.
Yeah I did a sort of keto diet for a month in March 2020 where I also cut out red meat for the month and dropped over 20 pounds. Hard at first but I felt great within about a week. Issue was I couldn’t lift like I normally do. My standard workout is 5x10 one week with heavy weights and 4x20 the next week with lighter weights with cardio days mixed in between lifting days (about 6 miles of cardio every other day). So the weight came off really quickly. In April, I went to a carnivore diet for the month because I got way too skinny (for my liking) on keto. Gained the 20 pounds back within weeks and it was mostly muscle due to eating pretty much nothing but red meat.

I’d recommend getting off of it quickly unless you plan to stick with it the rest of your life. Otherwise, if you’re not careful, you’ll blow up like a blimp. Different diets work well for different folks. I’ve found that just simply sticking to the food pyramid is what is best for me, personally. It’s easy and if you don’t want to eat something (like red meat, for example), you can supplement it for something else (a protein shake).

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep
PatsFans.com Supporter
Bourbon: Bookers, Blanton's, Willet, Four Roses single barrel. I'll try any of the mid-high level stuff. <$100.

Rum: Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Drink it neat. Excellent substitution for bourbon drinkers looking to switch it up. Bumbu: very sweet. Ideal for dessert. Fruity and heavy on vanilla. First had it on my birthday, and it tasted like birthday cake. I chit you not. Burned right thru the first bottle.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Yeah I did a sort of keto diet for a month in March 2020 where I also cut out red meat for the month and dropped over 20 pounds. Hard at first but I felt great within about a week. Issue was I couldn’t lift like I normally do. My standard workout is 5x10 one week with heavy weights and 4x20 the next week with lighter weights with cardio days mixed in between lifting days (about 6 miles of cardio every other day). So the weight came off really quickly. In April, I went to a carnivore diet for the month because I got way too skinny (for my liking) on keto. Gained the 20 pounds back within weeks and it was mostly muscle due to eating pretty much nothing but red meat.

I’d recommend getting off of it quickly unless you plan to stick with it the rest of your life. Otherwise, if you’re not careful, you’ll blow up like a blimp. Different diets work well for different folks. I’ve found that just simply sticking to the food pyramid is what is best for me, personally. It’s easy and if you don’t want to eat something (like red meat, for example), you can supplement it for something else (a protein shake).

A vegetarian-based ketogenic diet apparently is possible but I need to learn more about it. That might be the way to go. My goal is overall health, energy and maintaining muscle mass, I've never been overweight. A lot of interesting stuff is being done with pea protein and wheat protein isolate, for instance, as meat substitutes. That kind of thing along with whey, eggs/egg whites, oats, quinoa, Greek yogurt, etc. should provide enough complete crossover protein to nix red meat and poultry. I also eat sardines, salmon, tuna, kippers, shrimp and other seafood when I can.

I plan on checking this out:

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
A vegetarian-based ketogenic diet apparently is possible but I need to learn more about it. That might be the way to go. My goal is overall health, energy and maintaining muscle mass, I've never been overweight. A lot of interesting stuff is being done with pea protein and wheat protein isolate, for instance, as meat substitutes. That kind of thing along with whey, eggs/egg whites, oats, quinoa, Greek yogurt, etc. should provide enough complete crossover protein to nix red meat and poultry. I also eat sardines, salmon, tuna, kippers, shrimp and other seafood when I can.

The good thing is your bowel movements will be great and efficient. I barely had to use any toilet paper while I was on it. Of course, on day 2 of the carnivore diet, I decided to trust a fart and **** my pants.

Ice_Ice_Brady

Antonio Brown’s New Live-In Chef
PatsFans.com Supporter
Irish Whiskey. Powers John Lane. Anything Midleton or Redbreast. The Red, Blue, Green, Yellow Spot or also nice. Jameson (affordable is only good in your Irish Coffee.

Bourbon - Jefferson

Scotch - Balvenie Double Wood, Lagavulin 16 or higher.

Sorry for the snobbery but it's my only vice, I swear. Well, besides swearing.

Couldn’t stick to a few, eh? ****ing drunk.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
The good thing is your bowel movements will be great and efficient. I barely had to use any toilet paper while I was on it. Of course, on day 2 of the carnivore diet, I decided to trust a fart and **** my pants.

I swear by this stuff. Six of 'em once a day with a glass of water and I'm good to "go" 20 hours later. I can set my watch by it.

450.jpg

Ice_Ice_Brady

Antonio Brown’s New Live-In Chef
PatsFans.com Supporter

Yeah...I think I'm done with specific types of diets in general. If someone has no issues with impulse control and can eat whatever portions they want, and they don't have severe food/sugar cravings, then of course they'll do well with any type of diet. So when someone like @Tunescribe - who has never had eating problems - tallks about specific diets, or when Tom Brady talks about his diet, it's a totally different perspect on dieting.

For me personally, I think Keto is good inasmuch as it gets me away from eating sugars and decreases sugar cravings for people who have sugar cravings. I think it's essentially the same as calorie counting except you tend to eat less calories if you avoid bad, processed foods and just eat better in general. But the thing is, it doesn't always solve one's problem. If you have impulse control issues and feel hungry all the time, it's just a battle of will power that's probably going to end badly eventually. Whether that's in a week, in three months, in a year...you'll likely crack and put the weight back on. Because it didn't really solve the problem if you're always hungry and always thinking about food.

Full keto doesn't really make sense for most people. I can't sleep if I don't eat something at night, so the idea of eating some lean turkey breast and mustard to stick with keto is pretty nonsensical. What would happen is eventually I'd just binge late at night when that didn't work...or find foods that "technically" are keto, like cheese, bacon, etc. but we all know aren't the key to getting fit.

You just have to use common sense solutions. I try to avoid a lot of carbs during the day. At night, I eat a big bowl of vegetables, like peas and carrots, so I won't be hungry after. Fruits, too, like apples and grapes. It's all just common sense stuff which winds up leading back to the food pyramid/balance. Maybe I'm going to eat a bowl of corn/green beans and butter, which is 300 calories at night. Why? Because it's better than waking up at 1:00 AM and feeling starved and scarfing down whatever junk food I can find. Everyone is different; a one-size-fits-all diet, though, for people who are trying to lose weight, is often setup for failure.

Last edited:

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
Yeah...I think I'm done with specific types of diets in general. If someone has no issues with impulse control and can eat whatever portions they want, and they don't have severe food/sugar cravings, then of course they'll do well with any type of diet. So when someone like @Tunescribe - who has never had eating problems - tallks about specific diets, or when Tom Brady talks about his diet, it's a totally different perspect on dieting.

For me personally, I think Keto is good inasmuch as it gets me away from eating sugars and decreases sugar cravings for people who have sugar cravings. I think it's essentially the same as calorie counting except you tend to eat less calories if you avoid bad, processed foods and just eat better in general. But the thing is, it doesn't always solve one's problem. If you have impulse control issues and feel hungry all the time, it's just a battle of will power that's probably going to end badly eventually. Whether that's in a week, in three months, in a year...you'll likely crack and put the weight back on. Because it didn't really solve the problem if you're always hungry and always thinking about food.

Full keto doesn't really make sense for most people. I can't sleep if I don't eat something at night, so the idea of eating some lean turkey breast and mustard to stick with keto is pretty nonsensical. What would happen is eventually I'd just binge late at night when that didn't work...or find foods that "technically" are keto, like cheese, bacon, etc. but we all know aren't the key to getting fit.

You just have to use common sense solutions. I try to avoid a lot of carbs during the day. At night, I eat a big bowl of vegetables, like peas and carrots, so I won't be hungry after. Fruits, too, like apples and grapes. It's all just common sense stuff which winds up leading back to the food pyramid/balance. Maybe I'm going to eat a bowl of corn/green beans and butter, which is 300 calories at night. Why? Because it's better than waking up at 1:00 AM and feeling starved and scarfing down whatever junk food I can find. Everyone is different; a one-size-fits-all diet, though, for people who are trying to lose weight, is often setup for failure.
I’d probably try keto again in the future, but not stick with it. IMO, the only time I’d probably do it again is if I had a big event coming up, like a wedding or charity dinner or something, and the suits were a little tight around the chest, waist, or thighs. Keto is a good diet to knock that weight off quickly whether it’s muscle or fat. I definitely wouldn’t stick with it, though.

Everyone that I know around the age of @Tunescribe, including my MiL prior to our wedding, had wonderful results with it and then put on more weight than what they were prior to keto when they got off of it. Even with just one so-called “cheat day” or so they say. In any event, it’s just not for me but I won’t deny the results it has. Even if it’s just short-term in my anecdotal experience. I’d just say that most Americans can probably accomplish the same thing just by dropping grains.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster

Colonel Sanders 10 piece snack.

sean10mm

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Tried some Wild Turkey 101 for the first time in years, it seems to be in a funny place where most people see it as 1 step above Everclear in the "stuff that exists to get wasted on" tier, while people who claim to ~really know their bourbon~ talk it up a ton as being super underrated.

Turns out it's... fine. It's definitely not swill, and I'd put it above Four Roses Small Batch and Woodford Reserve personally, but those are specifically $35 bottles that I think secretly suck while WT101 is more like $25 or even less in some places. If you're drinking your bourbon neat Knob Creek 9 year is a $5-$10 markup for something that's clearly (in my opinion) better and just less harsh while still being 100 proof.

I hate trying to do "tasting notes" like a pretentious douche, but WT101 is sort of like cinnamon-spiked caramel vanilla mixed with some badly charred cookie in there, and it has a lot of alcohol heat even compared to other 100 proof stuff. If you mix it with anything though it basically just tastes like you put good bourbon in it. I can see why people jump on it as the best of the cheaper stuff but I need to get some Old Forester 100 and Evan Williams Bottled in Bond to compare it to.

People also swore by Early Times Bottled in Bond, but the brand is changing ownership so we kind of have no idea what it's going to taste like once all the old stock is sold out.