Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Vodka

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

sean10mm

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
I didn't see any threads like this so I figured I'd start one to talk about your favorite distilled spirits, hooches, moonshines, etc.

My preference right now is bourbon generally. I'm far from an expert, but I'd rank the ones I've had recently something like this:
  1. Henry McKenna 10 year single barrel - For the $35ish I got this bottle it was crazy good. The problem is that apparently whiskey hipsters are a thing and they bought it all up after it won some awards so it's impossible to find around here and massively scalped online. RIP to a real one.
  2. Knob Creek 9 year - On the flipside, Knob Creek is in stock everywhere and nobody seems to give a crap, but for $32.99 this was delicious stuff. The HM 10 year is maybe a bit more ~complex~ but the Knob Creek is, to me, exactly what you want bourbon to be like. For 100 proof the burn isn't bad either.
  3. Eagle Rare 10 year - When it barely cost more than midrange bourbon it was pretty damn good. Now that bourbon hipsters go mental for everything coming out of Buffalo Trace's distillery it's impossible to find without being marked up to the moon and it's just not THAT special to me.
  4. Buffalo Trace - Depending on where you are, this is either a steal at under $30, a gigantic ripoff for like $45+, or just never in stock. It's nice but nothing worth paying a premium for.
  5. Wild Turkey 101 - The bourbon everyone who likes bourbon says is criminally underrated. To me it's fine but I don't love it like some people do, but its price is low for a no-BS straight bourbon.
  6. Jim Beam Black Label - It's fine to put in coke.
  7. Woodford Reserve - It smells great and tastes good at first but has an aggressively bad aftertaste unless you just mix it with ginger beer or something. You're paying for a classy looking bottle basically.
  8. Four Roses Small Batch - I actively dislike this, it has some kind of weird perfume quality to me that is not what I want bourbon to be like. Lots of people LOVE Four Roses so I may just be a weirdo.
Pro tip: if the small print on the bottle says your "authentic craft small batch free range artisanal organic vegan whiskey" was distilled in Indiana, it came out of an absolutely gigantic industrial distilling plant that used to be owned by Seagrams lol.

patsfanfromoversea

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Tito's Vodka if I'm drinking with a specific goal in mind which is 99% of the time.

I love those gas station clamato drinks, I assume they're ****ty but I don't care.

My roommate moved for work and left me with this Tuaca Brandy that is ridiculous if you're looking for some sort of dessert drink. When we'd have our weekly cigar + Whiskey hang out time we tried several different types of higher shelf stuff like the 18 year aged Johnny Walker but my favorite was the Rabbit Hole Bourbon.

sean10mm

Tito's is my go to for mixing anything vodka based.

I'm not a big rum guy but I bought a jug of Diplomatico Riserva Exclusiva on a whim a while back and really like it. It wasn't cheap but I drink rum so rarely that it will probably last until Brady retires lol

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve
Macallan
Bulleitt Bourbon
Courvoisier
Glendalough Gin
Bacardi 8

Or...

1631229164823.gif

...whatever's available. :)

sean10mm

The best liquor is whatever makes you happy. I like some nice stuff but I fcuking hate booze snobbery, and if there's anything more contrary to the spirit (pun lol) of bourbon in particular it's elitism. Nerve gas all bourbon hipsters.

A low key great moment in my life was convincing a Venezuelan who thought American whiskey was bad to try some Bulleit Bourbon that was somehow on the shelf in the Panama City restaurant we were hanging out at. The :excited: face when they tried it was priceless.

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Four Roses Small Batch - I actively dislike this, it has some kind of weird perfume quality to me that is not what I want bourbon to be like. Lots of people LOVE Four Roses so I may just be a weirdo.
With you on this 100%.

Have you tried Angel's Envy?

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Tequila.

Alto or Luna Azul are my go to's.

Splash of Limeade, a little water and I'm good to go.

Tequila is the healthiest alcohol to drink. Trust me. I'm a picture of health.

I'll try any tequila as long as it is made with 100% agave. If it isn't it's guaranteed junk in my opinion.

sean10mm

100 proof rye whiskey and lemon flavored soda water on ice is pretty good on a hot day.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Remi Martin XO
MaCallan 27
Makers Mark
Bulleit Rye
Goslings Black
Casamigos Blanco
Jagermeister

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Unfortunately no. There are a bunch of bourbons I want to try that I haven't gotten around to yet.

I did try Basil Hayden's once, forgot about that, it was fine but I'm not sure why it has the premium price really.

There's a lot of false bravado. I mean, Jack Daniels has won blind taste tests against these guys, so something's up with both the marketing and our perceptions.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
See we can agree on something. Remy Martin XO is fabulous. The bourbons are OK, but fine cognac is a cut above.

PS Remy with a "y".

I didn’t have the bottle in front of me……I was 50/50 on I vs y

I like bourbon drinks but rarely drink it straight.

Last edited:

sean10mm

One thing I've realized with liquor is that how it tastes to different people can vary wildly, to the point where there is almost no use reading reviews unless you already know what you like and find a guy who agrees with that, then maybe you can take their word on reviews they do later. But up front it's totally personal taste. Especially because the "tasting notes" reviewers give are so all over the place (if not downright pretentious nonsense) that someone relatively new to that kind of drink will never be able to translate them into their experience with the booze.

For instance, the more I drink Knob Creek 9 year the more I think it's insanely good for a $30 bottle with no hype whatsoever. Maybe they need to redesign the bottle so it looks more like it comes from the 19th century or something. But I'm sure somebody else could try and and think it tastes like brake cleaner smells.

I also want to go back and get some little samples of various things and see if I misremembered how they taste, or my tastes just changed since the last time I had e.g. Maker's Mark, which I literally remember nothing about either way.

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
for the poll i chose Irish Whiskey. I like to sample different ones and always come back to Jameson's. I do have a few bottles of Bourbon at home like Weller Special Reserve, Elijah Craig Small Batch, and Jefferson's Reserve. If mixing with Diet Coke, i go with Evan Williams or Makers. In the summer i like Absolute and Diet Squirt