PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders rumored to offer Brady 2/60M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post.....key thing for Tom right now is which team is set up right now for a SB run and is LOADED with offensive weapons?! Honestly Pats would have no money to sign top O Weapons ....IF...they sign Brady. Overall Pats are an “older” team also...going to be tough road ahead because of that......I feel like Brady going to another team makes sense.....go forward with Stidham and see what happens.....probably a rebuild now anyways......rebuild and come back at it!

The Patriots have a bunch of players who would bring in cap space through that wouldn't result in the team being underwater on cost/savings, and certainly would not be a financial net negative cut. In some cases, the replacement player would negate most, or all, of that savings. But the players are there.

Some examples:

Hightower and Sanu would each result in more than $6m saved against the cap.
Wise would result in about $2.1m saved
Andrews would be a $3.4m savings
Cutting Simon would save $2m
Jason McCourty would be a $4m savings
Develin would be a $1.25m savings
Harmon $4.25, Burkhead $3m, etc....

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

I'm not suggesting anyone be cut. I'm just noting that there's money that can be freed up without taking a cap bath.

1. Will Mark Davis guarantee the whole contract?
  2. How much offensive input will Gruden & co. allow Brady? (think Peyton in Denver with Gase & Kubiak)
  3. Can they acquire a WR1 beforehand? The rest of the offense is great
1. Yes. It’s not that big of a deal for only 2 years. It’s totally worth the investment for a team trying to attract fans in a new city.

2. They will allow Brady to do whatever he wants just like Manning did. Gase was just along for the ride as was McCoy before him.

3. Probably not. But maybe they can at least lure AJ Green there.

Last edited:
Interesting landing spot. Unsure if the Raiders will do enough to address being ranked 30th in 2019 in points allowed, or become capable of stopping an offense/beating the Chiefs in the division though. Definitely some solid pieces there, but a lot of uncertainty also. Cap space is nice, but more often than not the free agent champions of the offseason don’t seem to pan out.

Brady himself said "I have more to prove". I always thought he meant by this that he would like to show the world that he can win SB without BB.

If in fact he did win a SB without BB, it would forever change the narrative that he is a "system QB". I do believe a part of Bardy wants to finish by proving this one final point about his career.

Could also backfire, because if he leaves the Pats and stinks up the joint, that will add more fuel to the "Its all BB" fire.

Beating Ptrick Mahomes and the Chiefs as a member of the Raiders to win the AFC West and the AFC championship seems like a stretch. I do not think he is afraid of taking this type of risk.

Could also backfire, because if he leaves the Pats and stinks up the joint, that will add more fuel to the "Its all BB" fire.

If it's going to add to the "It's all BB" fire, rather than to the "he's 43" fire, make sure you let the Patriots know that, so that they don't try using his age against him in contract negotiations.

Wait I thought no one would pay a 43 yo QB more than $20M or a multi-year contract, assuming of course this is true. :D
You have to realize most posters on this board come the very privilidged position of having Brady take discounts and other players like Amendola taking paycuts to come here for years because of reputation.

They don't have a realistic understanding of what's out there. There's no QB that isn't rookie that this board wouldn't consider a massive overpay for. Even Brissett who nobody thinks is a starter got a 2 year contract for 3o million with 20 million guaranteed. Foles has a 4 year 88 million dollar contract and he's more viewed as a guy who can get streaky but isn't total franchise material. That's 22 million a year broken down. You think Brady can't get 8 million more a year than Foles? Goff is getting over 30 million a year. This is Tom "just won 3 of the last 6 Super Bowls and had an MVP 2 years" Brady.

It's either wishful thinking or arrogance.

Wait I thought no one would pay a 43 yo QB more than $20M or a multi-year contract, assuming of course this is true. :D
Everyone knows that the Raiders are a model organization and never make ill-advised deals.

I'll be back in Reno for the next season and while I'll never root for another team over the Pats I will, without hestitation, buy tickets and his jersey if he ends up in LV.

Honestly, I prefer him to stay but second to that I prefer for the misery of waiting to find where the only other man I've called my hero finishes his career to end ASAP.

Brady himself said "I have more to prove". I always thought he meant by this that he would like to show the world that he can win SB without BB.

If in fact he did win a SB without BB, it would forever change the narrative that he is a "system QB". I do believe a part of Bardy wants to finish by proving this one final point about his career.
He debunked that notion without a doubt years ago. This seems to be more about proving the TB12 method.

Last edited:
Trivia

Name a Raider retired number?

Raiders have no retired numbers. Dallas has none too.

5 nfl teams have no retired numbers. 2 are storied franchises. The other 3 are Jax, Houston and Baltimore.

Brady would look good in silver and black.

Why do Raider fans have those small custom steering wheels in their cars?

So they can drive with handcuffs on.

All smoke, it’ll be Patriots or Titans.

Very excited for this. Short flight to Vegas from Denver.

Vegas goes “all out” for the Knights...and I am sure it’ll be over the top for the Raiders.
Brady is a Bay Area kid...he must have some appreciation for the Raiders franchise.
That new stadium looks gorgeous from Highway 15. I was there recently and you could either look left and gaze at the stadium...or look right at the strip. I couldn’t stop staring at the “Black Pearl” looking stadium.

Just to add on:

They'd also have more than $60m to play with, after cutting Carr loose (Currently about $52m under, with cap savings of about $13.5m if they cut Carr).

Emptying the tank of their cap space for a 43-year-old QB could get everybody fired out there. It smacks of Mike Ditka trading away the roster for Ricky Williams. But I wouldn't put it past Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock to do this in the context of the move to Las Vegas. I'd be interested to see what the composition of a deal for Brady would look like - signing bonus, workout bonus, and any incentives. Brady probably wouldn't take any meaningful incentives.

Just thinking about what Belichick might do with $65 million in cap space to address needs and depth throughout the various position groups would be a blast. I can't remember any year that he had more than 20% of the cap to work with.

I wonder if a sign and trade could be worked out. The Raiders have two #1s and three #3 picks in 2020 along with a bunch of interesting young players. I'd love to see Belichick sign and trade Brady for a #1, #3 and QB Deshone Kizer. Kizer and Stidham would be a cool 1-2 QB room.

If it's going to add to the "It's all BB" fire, rather than to the "he's 43" fire, make sure you let the Patriots know that, so that they don't try using his age against him in contract negotiations.

Personally I'm refusing to play the blame game regardless of how this ends. Twenty years of a life long worth of fandom gifts that no other team's fan base of any sport has received should be enough to allow this to end however it does. BB, RK and TB should be free from any criticisms at this point.

I apologise for any grammatical errors in that statement but in my defense it's the first time any fan has been able to write such an opinion.

Oh and with all due respect to Mr Brady Sr this can't end badly. After 9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 wins we have already ended greatly no matter the conclusion.

I wonder if a sign and trade could be worked out. The Raiders have two #1s and three #3 picks in 2020 along with a bunch of interesting young players. I'd love to see Belichick sign and trade Brady for a #1, #3 and QB Deshone Kizer. Kizer and Stidham would be a cool 1-2 QB room.

Brady would never agree to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye