Pick Results: MIA: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 12th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Hate to be a downer here and shouldn't speak ill of the departed, but I couldn't stand listening to Johnny Pierson. I loved Fred Cusick, Bob Wilson, Don Earle, etc. But I could not stand Johnny Pierson. He disliked the fights and would often reminisce about when he played with Don" Mary" McKenney.
He definitely a skilled player but I never thought he fit the Bruins. They were a tough hard hitting team and he was as tough as Peggy Fleming. I much preferred Dave Shea and Derek Sanderson (big time homer) and other color commentators.

I named my son Derek, after guess who???

Back in those days went to "Bachelor's 3" in Boston. Sat down at a table, got an expensive drink, we were seated close to a table that was occupied by Bill Wirtz ( Chicago Black Hawks Owner) and about 10 of his friends. He bought the 4 of us a drink.. he finished his and looked at me as though it was my round, shortly thereafter we walked out. Like I was gonna buy 10 incredibly expensive drinks because it was my turn, forgettaboutit.

SteveKiner

On the Game Day Roster
You had company in the executive offices. I heard they tried for years to get rid of John, hated him. He certainly never fit the mold of what's expected of the typical color commentator. I and most of us of course totally disagree; Did those stuffed shirts think the ratings would go even higher? No. They just didn't want him. Thank goodness he stayed anyway.

Don't begrudge you at all your feelings. Shea and Derek were obviously more, well, colorful.

John entertained the hell out of me. "Well, Fred, it looks here like McKenzie and Savard had a bit of a disagreement which led to this altercation. Leon Stickle tries to keep Wayne Cashman out of it, but he didn't have much success there..."

I simply feel the Canadian culture is loaded with compassion. John was twelve years old when Eddie Shore hit Ace Bailey from behind, nearly killing him. Ted Green was very lucky to survive, let alone play again after getting cracked by Wayne Maki in Ottawa in the '69 preseason. It's in this context that I heard John; he cared about people most.
I didn't know that about the executives trying to get rid of Johnny Peirson. That is interesting especially with the large number of fans he had as seen in this thread. As you stated, they couldn't really think that ratings would go higher. The LA Kings game that came on at 10:30pm local time would outdraw everything else that week on CH38. The B's were it. Peirson definitely knew the sport and as cmasspatsfan pointed out, he was amazing in knowing what actually happened before the replay. I just never liked his anti-fighting/hitting sway. Especially with the team he was working for. 1960Pats, Mary McKenney was what I and all my friends called Don McKenney because he, like Johnny Peirson, seemed to be allergic to any of the physical aspects of the game and the Bruins of that era(and through most years) were known for being physical.

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I didn't know that about the executives trying to get rid of Johnny Peirson. That is interesting especially with the large number of fans he had as seen in this thread. As you stated, they couldn't really think that ratings would go higher. The LA Kings game that came on at 10:30pm local time would outdraw everything else that week on CH38. The B's were it. Peirson definitely knew the sport and as cmasspatsfan pointed out, he was amazing in knowing what actually happened before the replay. I just never liked his anti-fighting/hitting sway. Especially with the team he was working for. 1960Pats, Mary McKenney was what I and all my friends called Don McKenney because he, like Johnny Peirson, seemed to be allergic to any of the physical aspects of the game and the Bruins of that era(and through most years) were known for being physical.
There have been guys like that through the generations. Johnny Bucyk won the the Lady Byng twice but we all know his hip checks were devastating. Gordie Howe was a total gentleman until Ted Lindsay got a hold of him.

Never mistook Wayne Gretzky or Gil Perreault for tough guys. Some are and some aren't.

Hey at least most of the Bruins over the years have been tough guys.

SteveKiner

On the Game Day Roster
There have been guys like that through the generations. Johnny Bucyk won the the Lady Byng twice but we all know his hip checks were devastating. Gordie Howe was a total gentleman until Ted Lindsay got a hold of him.

Never mistook Wayne Gretzky or Gil Perreault for tough guys. Some are and some aren't.

Hey at least most of the Bruins over the years have been tough guys.
I always thought it was amazing that Bucyk won the Lady Byng trophy a couple times. Even though he had less than 10 penalty minutes for the year a few times and rightly deserved the honors, I am sure the people on the other end of his checks didn't think that he was very gentlemanly. Your description is best. He was a devastating hitter especially the hip checks. He was very big for the time and could play any way you wanted to. Great all around player.

Last edited:

captain stone

Hall of Fame Poster
At that time the Orr/Esposito era came at a perfect point in my youth: not too young and not too old.

While my dad (RIP) did not particularly care for what he referred to as 'clenched teeth announcing', it was impossible for me to care less. He and I had so many great nights watching those Big Bad Bruins of that time on channel 38; little did I know then that it would end too soon.

RIP

One of the best Christmas non-presents my brother & I ever received was a 13" b&w TV that our folks had won during a raffle at an Irish Social Club Christmas party the previous weekend...We could then watch Everything about the Bruins we wanted to watch, including the two - TWO! - highlight shows on the weekend...

For the yutes in the audience, there still has never been the absolute mania that was created by Bobby Orr & the Big, Bad Bruins here, despite Eddie Andleman & the Sports Huddle's best efforts back then...That theme song is an all-time Classic; and everyone I knew - and I do mean EVERYONE -
had that Exact Same team photo shown at the end of the clip...

Time, you are a cruel thief...

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
One of the best Christmas non-presents my brother & I ever received was a 13" b&w TV that our folks had won during a raffle at an Irish Social Club Christmas party the previous weekend...We could then watch Everything about the Bruins we wanted to watch, including the two - TWO! - highlight shows on the weekend...

For the yutes in the audience, there still has never been the absolute mania that was created by Bobby Orr & the Big, Bad Bruins here, despite Eddie Andleman & the Sports Huddle's best efforts back then...That theme song is an all-time Classic; and everyone I knew - and I do mean EVERYONE -

Bruins Wrap Up post game
Bruins Highlights on Sundays
Bruins Summer Cooler in the summer

TV38. Is All Fun And Games.

cmasspatsfan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

My father bought a b & w we inch so me and him could watch the Bs on 38, we actually got good reception with an antenna on our roof.

captain stone

Hall of Fame Poster
My father bought a b & w we inch so me and him could watch the Bs on 38, we actually got good reception with an antenna on our roof.

One of the advantages of living in greater Boston back then was that the reception was always good for the local VHF & UHF stations...The receptions for Ch27 in Worcester, and the Providence & NH stations were a different matter unfortunately...