Next Up: vs Dolphins
Pick Results: MIA: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 12th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

One of the great, humble, classy voices of our sports youth. He was an All-Star as a player, and an All-Star announcer along with Fred Cusick.

1618873099595.png
1618872813463.png1618873191319.png

"Well Fred, you'll see Bobby here make his move toward the net, and how he gets this by Maniago I'll never know..."

"Katy bar the door..."

Attachments

• 1618872803183.png
    1618872803183.png
    510 KB · Views: 4

jmt57

Staff member
At that time the Orr/Esposito era came at a perfect point in my youth: not too young and not too old.

While my dad (RIP) did not particularly care for what he referred to as 'clenched teeth announcing', it was impossible for me to care less. He and I had so many great nights watching those Big Bad Bruins of that time on channel 38; little did I know then that it would end too soon.

RIP

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
At that time the Orr/Esposito era came at a perfect point in my youth: not too young and not too old.

While my dad (RIP) did not particularly care for what he referred to as 'clenched teeth announcing', it was impossible for me to care less. He and I had so many great nights watching those Big Bad Bruins of that time on channel 38; little did I know then that it would end too soon.

RIP

7:35pm on TV38 from the Garden was family appointment television.

A large percentage of viewers didn't know a thing about hockey, but were addicted.

Interestingly, the other local pro franchises have likewise failed to sustain the popularity they rode during their respective title runs. You see other teams across the nation with diehard fan bases which go forever winning nothing but keep their glory status.

To do so is simple but clearly impossible for Boston teams. Even the Celtics have been fooling around with ridiculous alternate uniforms.

I bet the majority of youngsters today would be happy to come to a game and not be deluged with deafening, blaring musical noise, a screaming P.A. guy and a blinding light show. I even agree with Red about no cheerleaders. These are all the things we at home would see and laugh at in other cities when the Celts went on the road.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Lived in Newport during those early days and the only way to get the Bruins Games was via Channel 38, which despite the use of copious aluminum foil and coathangers was extremely unreliable.. we had to go to a local bar to watch games.. Pierson and Cusak were on the radio until '71 balanced each other well and made the game enjoyable.. then they became a great TV duo and made the game enjoyable.

Johnny Most for the Celtics added to those radio glory days and complimented the Bruins announcers..

FreeTedWilliams

BB's tailor
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I wore out my "Derek is Unreal" T-shirt. Every kid wanted to be Bobby Orr, I of course wanted to be Derek Sanderson.

Johnny and Fred were the sounds of my childhood, along with that awesome TV38 theme song.

RIP Johnny

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Peirson and Cusick were on the radio until '71 balanced each other well and made the game enjoyable.. then they became a great TV duo and made the game enjoyable.
1971 really got everyone. The '72 season was a mission to set things right.

Afterward, we didn't quite recover from the WHA raids and expansion. I remember hearing about Cheevers jumping my first year at summer camp.

On May 19, 1974 the Flyers beat us in the Spectrum to win the Cup; Art Skov got us like he had promised two years before, and the uniforms of the Bruins' heyday were never seen again. That fall they inexplicably lopped off the upper half of the jersey, and the Bruins went from the most intimidating team to looking like Assabet vs. Abington in 'Mini One-On-One: Senior Division'. Bobby and Phil were both gone within 18 months.

But Fred and Johnny and the team kept on, and came close a few times.

For all its self promotion, money, hype and success, NESN has never approached the intimacy, detail and charm of TV38.

SteveKiner

On the Game Day Roster
Hate to be a downer here and shouldn't speak ill of the departed, but I couldn't stand listening to Johnny Pierson. I loved Fred Cusick, Bob Wilson, Don Earle, etc. But I could not stand Johnny Pierson. He disliked the fights and would often reminisce about when he played with Don" Mary" McKenney.
He definitely a skilled player but I never thought he fit the Bruins. They were a tough hard hitting team and he was as tough as Peggy Fleming. I much preferred Dave Shea and Derek Sanderson (big time homer) and other color commentators.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

RIP

I was the only hockey fan in my family and I used to watch them in the late 60's with my friend's family. We got into the big bad style and went nuts watching games on 38.

Soon after I started working with a group that went up to Montreal once a year to watch them play. We stayed in the same hotel and the players were awesome to us. Multiple conversations would be going on in the lobby most any time you got off the elevator.

I feel blessed to have witnessed and felt that Bruins team.

And I feel blessed to have experienced Johnny Peirson. May he RIP.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Hate to be a downer here and shouldn't speak ill of the departed, but I couldn't stand listening to Johnny Pierson. I loved Fred Cusick, Bob Wilson, Don Earle, etc. But I could not stand Johnny Pierson. He disliked the fights and would often reminisce about when he played with Don" Mary" McKenney.
He definitely a skilled player but I never thought he fit the Bruins. They were a tough hard hitting team and he was as tough as Peggy Fleming. I much preferred Dave Shea and Derek Sanderson (big time homer) and other color commentators.
Playing hockey at that time means he's tough and so is the guy he called Mary.

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
You had company in the executive offices. I heard they tried for years to get rid of John, hated him. He certainly never fit the mold of what's expected of the typical color commentator. I and most of us of course totally disagree; Did those stuffed shirts think the ratings would go even higher? No. They just didn't want him. Thank goodness he stayed anyway.

Don't begrudge you at all your feelings. Shea and Derek were obviously more, well, colorful.

John entertained the hell out of me. "Well, Fred, it looks here like McKenzie and Savard had a bit of a disagreement which led to this altercation. Leon Stickle tries to keep Wayne Cashman out of it, but he didn't have much success there..."

I simply feel the Canadian culture is loaded with compassion. John was twelve years old when Eddie Shore hit Ace Bailey from behind, nearly killing him. Ted Green was very lucky to survive, let alone play again after getting cracked by Wayne Maki in Ottawa in the '69 preseason. It's in this context that I heard John; he cared about people most.

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Don't forget Curt Gowdy.. used to go to sleep at night with my channel master listening to his commentary..
Legend. NBC dropped him from their baseball coverage after he criticized Larry Barnett in Game 3 of the '75 Series.

It's in this context that I view Curt's reticence fourteen months later in Oakland, when the Patriots were the recipient of the worst ripoff in sports history. The following AFCCG and Super Bowl in what should have been Pats-adena, were covered by Gowdy. On NBC.

Last edited: