PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QBs that got off on the wrong foot that could have been good.

fightingirish595

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Thought this would be better in the draft thread. Is there anyone you think that could have been good had they been in a better situation but got ruined? Or do you not buy into that notion.

One guy that comes to mind for me is a guy like David Carr. Or even an Andrew Luck to a degree

Sam Darnold

Teddy Bridgewater if not for the injury.

I look at all the QBs drafted by teams like the Browns, Bucs, Jets, etc. and think was it because they were brought into dysfunctional organizations who had no clue how to cultivate a talented QB or did those same dysfunctional organizations screw up from the start by taking physically gifted knuckleheads? Chicken and the egg.

I'll just do Tampa. Josh Freeman and Jameis Winston. I think Freeman showed early promise and maybe in another organization could have been decent. I think Winston was doomed from the start. But we'll never know.

Teddy Bridgewater if not for the injury.

I look at all the QBs drafted by teams like the Browns, Bucs, Jets, etc. and think was it because they were brought into dysfunctional organizations who had no clue how to cultivate a talented QB or did those same dysfunctional organizations screw up from the start by taking physically gifted knuckleheads? Chicken and the egg.

I'll just do Tampa. Josh Freeman and Jameis Winston. I think Freeman showed early promise and maybe in another organization could have been decent. I think Winston was doomed from the start. But we'll never know.

Vince young is an interesting case. Terrible head coach who didn’t want him, but Vince was also his own worst enemy

Mike Glennon in Tampa and RGIII in Washington come to mind. I would also add Tony Romo in Dallas and Philip Rivers in San Diego are a couple of good QBs who could have been great.

I wonder if the rumors of BB willing to draft either Bortles or Manziel were true and, if they had been brought up by BB and Josh would've developed better for Blake and responded to a structured environment with Johnny.

Derek Carr and Andrew Luck both got hit by the injury bug hard, so they are easy picks.

One thing that is more apparent to me with the most recent generations of QBs is that football isn't always their #1 priority. I don't care how smart or hard working you are. If football isn't your #1 drive, you aren't going to be great; you definitely won't be as good as you could be.

When I look at the prior generation with guys like Brady and Rivers and Brees, I see guys who have a single solitary drive in life: be the best football player ever.

Somebody mentioned Josh Freeman and Jameis Winston. Do you guys honestly believe they had no other drive but to be the best football player ever? I don't think the team they went to would've changed anything.

Teams need to screen for 'passion for the game' better. I realize we're talking about 22 year old kids most of the time, who live in an age with more distractions than ever, but cut through the ********. Maybe they need to have more of an old school philosophy in these scouting departments.

One QB that I think is continuously disrespected is Matt Barkley. He's no star, but I do think he can be a starting caliber QB. He just had his first start of the season on the #32 ranked offense in the league, and they had their best offensive game of the year.

Randall Cunningham, amazing raw talent ( SamBam's brother) but Buddy Ryan in Philly couldn't give 2 craps about the offense and never developed him or brought in talent to help him out. The year in Minnesota throwing to Randy Moss, he threw 34 TDs..... As a running QB, he and Vick stand above today's Wilson et al...

RG3 for sure

Bridgewater and Luck for health reasons

Winston and Mariota (5 years, 5 OCs)

Carr is now limited by Gruden

People will say Manziel, but you can't be built like (and act like) a 12 year old and be successful in the NFL

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back