PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB J.T. O'Sullivan added to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
Makes sense. They needed to have a 3rd QB on there. Surprised he was eligible, thought he'd bee knocking about in NFL for awhile. Guess he never reached the mandatory level of playing time.

Actually an ideal guy to have on the squad: he's prob. the least "green" QB they could stash on the PS.

tombonneau said:
Surprised he was eligible, thought he'd been knocking about in NFL for awhile.

I asked about this in another thread...have the practice squad rules changed more than has been announced?

PS eligibility up to this season meant either:
- No accrued seasons
- Exactly 1 accrued season with 8 or fewer games on the active list
(An accrued season means 6 or more games on the 53 or IR/PUP.)

O'Sullivan has 4 years in the league. How does that add up?

patchick said:
I asked about this in another thread...have the practice squad rules changed more than has been announced?

PS eligibility up to this season meant either:
- No accrued seasons
- Exactly 1 accrued season with 8 or fewer games on the active list
(An accrued season means 6 or more games on the 53 or IR/PUP.)

O'Sullivan has 4 years in the league. How does that add up?

All those years in GB wouldn't surprise me if he was inactive behind Favre. Also, the 3rd "emergency" QB, does that spot count as the active roster? It might not which would explain his status.

tombonneau said:
All those years in GB wouldn't surprise me if he was inactive behind Favre. Also, the 3rd "emergency" QB, does that spot count as the active roster? It might not which would explain his status.

But it's not the active roster that counts after one year, it's the 53....

patchick said:
But it's not the active roster that counts after one year, it's the 53....
I was surprised when BB mentioned that he wa son the PSqd...as there was talk that he was NOT eligible..but apparently he is...I think a good addition.

His experience consists of being the 2004 GB whiffle ball champion, two kneel downs and some play in the NFLE.

However, I agree that this a good pickup.

Two words: scout team.

With Cassell still new enough he needs to concentrate on getting ready for the other team, someone's gotta play JP Losman, Chad Pennington, etc, etc, on the scout team ...

The fact that this guy could be a competent back-up is a bonus.

PlattsFan said:
Two words: scout team.

With Cassell still new enough he needs to concentrate on getting ready for the other team, someone's gotta play JP Losman, Chad Pennington, etc, etc, on the scout team ...

The fact that this guy could be a competent back-up is a bonus.
It doesn't hurt that he has NFC North experience which gives him insight into those opponents...;)

Reiss had this link to a write-up on the new chap this summer from Minnesota:

http://ucdavisaggies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080806aag.html

Edited Extract:
By Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune
July 29, 2006

MANKATO, Minn. - Geez, you think we would know something about J.T. O'Sullivan by now.

He's in his fifth NFL season. He's a quarterback. And he's played for three-fourths of the NFC North, including the Vikings since they signed him off the Bears' practice squad last fall.

Besides setting the career mark for total offense (11,544) at UC Davis, which also produced former Jets quarterback Ken O'Brien, majoring in English with an Art History minor ....

His 2003 preseason passer rating (117.0) led the Saints. He guided Frankfurt to World Bowl XII during the 2004 NFL Europe season. ....

First, O'Sullivan must prove worthy of becoming a No. 2 quarterback. Don't rule him out. Vikings coach Brad Childress said he hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back