ANNOUNCEMENT Pub Guidelines - PLEASE READ (Updated 9/8)

2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs 49ers
Pick Results: SF: 38.2% at NE: 61.8%
Sun
Oct 25th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hey everyone,

Welcome back to the Pub Forum. This forum is intended to be a lighthearted place to talk about current events, discuss movies, TV shows, music and be a good place to get to know each other "off the field". That was the original intention of this forum and it's been that way for many years, with the exception of the last year or so.

That being said, there will be some modifications to this forum moving forward. Political discussion is not allowed and could cause you to be removed from a thread if you go down that road. Given the current climate, that discussion really hasn't worked here, so I'd appreciate it if you would all please stay away from it.

I'm also requesting that we keep it to general discussion and avoiding name-calling, snide remarks, etc. This will be heavily enforced and will see anyone who crosses that line potentially removed from the thread for at least 24-hours. Multiple instances might incur a permanent ban from the thread in question.

As mentioned in the guidelines in the other forum, please also adhere to the following:

1) If you see a controversial link/story/video, research it before you post it - This site is not here to spread misinformation. That's one of the biggest challenges facing all sites in this current climate and I don't wish to take part in it. If you find a source of inflammatory content that is shared here, it needs to have credible information to support it. If that isn't available, that content may be deleted. If it becomes a repeated issue, your ability to post may be suspended. With the new forum now up and running, this will be something that will be monitored by me moving forward.

2) Try not post solely links/videos/tweets in a thread unless the thread is dedicated to it - The media embed feature is available for those to share useful/helpful content with breaking news, informative information, or just a cool piece of content. We encourage everyone to share information, but please keep in mind, this is a discussion forum. If you post links, videos, tweets 99% of the time and don't contribute anything beyond that, it could put your posting abilities in jeopardy. There's a happy medium, so try and find a good balance. And again, as mentioned above, please make sure the content is accurate and can be backed up by reputable sources.

Now, at the same time, timing and context is everything, which means if that's all you're comfortable posting, as long as you can find a comfortable balance that helps compliment a thread, you're fine. Just be mindful of the frequency and content. Posting two or three in a row, or the same posts in multiple threads is not what we're looking for and could be an issue.

However, if it's a thread that's devoted to that topic or the point is to share funny videos, pictures, etc., then that's obviously an exception and it's permitted.

There's also an enhanced ignore feature that will soon be available for those who would prefer not to see posts from a particular user coming through their feed.

3) Do not cut and paste full articles - This hasn't been discussed much, but it needs to be mentioned: Please do not cut/paste full articles into threads here. Media sites are struggling to survive these days as it is (the climate is not pleasant) so taking page views away is not a good thing to do. As a result, if you read an interesting article that you want to share, you can copy a few paragraphs to compliment what you're telling us about it with a link below for the rest. Overall, this hasn't come up very often so just do me a favor and help us keep it that way :)

4) No passive aggressive insults - Not to be too specific on this, but we don't need people doing this moving forward. That's been a problem in the past and dropping a quick jab just incites the other person and derails the discussion as the two battle for the last word. I get it, no one likes to be insulted and it frustrates me as well. Needless to say, there are now new rules that need to be followed. So please don't do it, otherwise, it could result in your removal from the thread.

And again, as mentioned earlier, if you do share news stories that could be considered questionable, please make sure the content is accurate and can be backed up by reputable sources.

I'm sure many of you have a life outside of football and politics and that's what I'm shooting for in here, which is what we used to do and we used to have a pretty good time in here back in the day. I'll soon be adding a gallery feature and would encourage people to share photos of themselves, their family, cool things you've done, that sort of thing. I'll follow up with an announcement on that as soon as it's ready.

In the meantime, please adhere to these policies and obviously PM me directly with any questions. I have no agenda and I think most of you know me well enough to know I'm pretty easy going. The fact is, it's just simply time for a change and for things to settle down a bit. Let's just keep it simple: those who can participate in what political threads we do run in here will be permitted to continue to do so if you can follow the simple guidelines currently in place.

Hopefully, we won't have too many issues.

Last edited:

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Is there a place for display settings? I'd like to make the background dark

never mind......did it through windows

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Is there a place for display settings? I'd like to make the background dark
Someone else asked something similar. I'll be adding additional themes that will be selectable, so you'll probably have a couple of options once that's done.

patsfan13

Hall of Fame Poster
PatsFans.com Supporter
So since the NYT and other MSM sources have lied on multiple occasions are they controversial?

Serious question Ian, frequently controversial is in the eye of the beholder.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
So since the NYT and other MSM sources have lied on multiple occasions are they controversial?

Serious question Ian, frequently controversial is in the eye of the beholder.
Truth tends to be twisted and it’s reached a point now that it’s possible for people to even argue whether or not something is true based solely on their beliefs...which is unprecedented and I won’t even get into it because it makes my head spin.

Instead, that leaves things now with trusting the sources who have the best longevity for being accurate long-term. So I’ll take it on a case-by-case basis.

IcyPatriot

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Truth tends to be twisted and it’s reached a point now that it’s possible for people to even argue whether or not something is true based solely on their beliefs...which is unprecedented and I won’t even get into it because it makes my head spin.

Instead, that leaves things now with trusting the sources who have the best longevity for being accurate long-term. So I’ll take it on a case-by-case basis.
I think that it would be so much better if everyone just stuck to discussing their opinion and no videos were allowed in here. Because what is true or not true or selectively edited with info left out will almost never be what anyone considers fair. Even the MSM sources all do it ... selective editing. If there has to be videos then perhaps only the short ones contained in Twitter posts ... at least there is usually some word content in those. They are not as obnoxious ... well IMO anyways ... my 2 cents. No just videos in here ...

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I think that it would be so much better if everyone just stuck to discussing their opinion and no videos were allowed in here. Because what is true or not true or selectively edited with info left out will almost never be what anyone considers fair. Even the MSM sources all do it ... selective editing. If there has to be videos then perhaps only the short ones contained in Twitter posts ... at least there is usually some word content in those. They are not as obnoxious ... well IMO anyways ... my 2 cents. No just videos in here ...
I’m ok with people posting content here. It just needs to be somewhat helpful and in the context of the discussion.

IcyPatriot

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I’m ok with people posting content here. It just needs to be somewhat helpful and in the context of the discussion.
What is helpful and what is not is beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Even the MSM ... they are all crooked ...selective editing is what it is.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Selective editing is the key problem. That’s why credible content will be key here moving forward for however long this works out.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

generally speaking, we should all want to seek the truth even if we don't agree with it.....using your brain is better than not using......people should wnat to post things that are more than noise or not so easy to refute.....people should not be too lazy to vet

Nunchucks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
generally speaking, we should all want to seek the truth even if we don't agree with it.....using your brain is better than not using......people should wnat to post things that are more than noise or not so easy to refute.....people should not be too lazy to vet
Right, winning is not the goal. I hate watching people post the same old refuted points over and over again. For example,, Obama did the kids in cages thing....its like some people are immune to facts!

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Right, winning is not the goal. I hate watching people post the same old refuted points over and over again. For example,, Obama did the kids in cages thing....its like some people are immune to facts!

They’ve hitched their wagons to a guy who manufactures his own truth......listen to them roar if the other side pulls something like this

Kenosha business owner declines President Trump photo-op, former owner replaces him

Status
Not open for further replies.