PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price, Morton, and David Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
These are the only 3 left on the board.. Unless we sign Kelly Washington to a posion deal... Looks like this will be adress in the draft...

In johnny morton, might be a replacement for Givens.. but would take Price.......

I'd add Kevin Johnson to that list.

It's hard to imagine not grabbing at least one veteran wideout (and Moulds looks like he's going elsewhere as of right now.) Morton would fit the bill. David Boston's a little on the sporadic side as I recall, not to mention oft-injured. Price would be a test - if Branch is a true #1, Price shines. But when called on to be "the man," he flops. My thought on this is that by now, Price knows what he is - a guy that can be a good member of a good receiving corps, but not the next Terrell Owens [sic]. That might make him a good fit.

A wideout coming into the league fresh usually has a steeper learning curve than say a running back, but there are exceptions every year as well.

I'll take Peerless and a first-day but not first-round "project" guy. But Time, as always, will tell.

PFnV

What is wrong with a Kevin Johnson?? He is what 30 and?? NOt sure what his problem has been...he was a tough competitor years ago..and it seemed like he was on an upswing and then?? The Jags..Ravens..Lions....With 3 number ones...ahead of you..you get buried...and the Ravens..no QB at all...
WHat is the knock on this guy??? I would think he might fit in..

Sean Pa Patriot said:
These are the only 3 left on the board.
There's actually a lot more, many of which are under the radar to the average fan (like me). But I still have a hard time believing Price couldn't be a legit #2 WR. Understanding he was a bust as a #1, he was a great #2 and not THAT long ago.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
There's actually a lot more, many of which are under the radar to the average fan (like me). But I still have a hard time believing Price couldn't be a legit #2 WR. Understanding he was a bust as a #2, he was a great #2 and not THAT long ago.

I agree, and who is to say that he wouldn't flourish with Brady. It's not like Price had the geatest guys chucking the ball lately.

One of the beauties of the Pats' attack is nobody has to be a "#1"... though that being said, I'm not too certain a Reche Caldwell is the answer. They might not need a "true number 1" but they won't get anywhere starting a bunch of "#4s."

I am trying hard not to be too terribly optimistic about Troy. Every time I see a slam I have an instinct to say "yeah but." In his case, we quite recently saw him play 3 ways (2 years ago,) and 2 ways (last year.) No wonder his production is down. But still we have to say yeah, let's call him a 3rd receiver and not count on him beyond that (pleasant surprises are the preferred kind, after all.)

I think Branch has been a great success story, in the Pats' mold. No real eye-popping numbers, which is appropriate for a team that spreads around the ball more than a stripper at an opening-day-themed bachelor party.

But we need another guy that can run decent routes and run them fast. Brown can run them, and Johnson can run them fast. We can't splice them together. Technology's not there yet. I don't trust Reche Caldwell to be the answer right out of the gate, if at all, and draft picks are hard to get acclimated prior to the start of the season.

So, there you have it... as I see it, we're short one vet. We're getting bad news on Moulds lately (though that can change,) and Price seems (to me) like the most promising of the three in the thread's title. Kayjay might be more than he's looked like in the last 4 years, but I don't see why we should think so.

PFnV

If your looking at RFA too then all of you need to look at

Shaun McDonald
and
Kevin Curtis

both for the Rams.

I'd be fine with KJ. Last year in Detroit, with all those #1 draft picks, he was probably their best, most consistant WR. I'd like to see them sign both him & Price, and let the chips fall where they may.

I'd be perfectly happy with Branch/Caldwell/KJ/Price/Brown as the WRs, with Bam Childress fighting all of them for a spot.

I think BJ is as good as gone. Not sure they really even need to draft a WR day 1, maybe look for a prospect later.

KJ may be a good option...didn't play in many games..injured?? I just don't think they will bring in 2 vets...one but not 2...they are going young..and will have at least 2 from the draft and UDFA route. They have 2 receivers in NFLE, a rookie in the injured Mike McGrew and the little used John Stone. I am hoping it may be someone under the radar if not a KJ or Price.

I did not see Kevin Johnson on the free agent list... Not sure if he resigned somewhere..

I am still holding out hope that Bethel Johnson will emerge at some point. I have not given up on him, but this is the last chance...come on Bethel, do something!

I'd like for the Patriots to sign Kansas City's Chris Horn to an offer sheet. He's restricted, but the Pats usually wait until the end of free agency to take a run at a restricted guy.

He's a young receiver with some upside potential. Would be a nice addition.

J D Sal

Kevin Johnson reptued his achilles on October 23, 2005, he's questionable, at best, to be 100% for this season.

F.B.N. said:
I agree, and who is to say that he wouldn't flourish with Brady. It's not like Price had the geatest guys chucking the ball lately.

I am not sure I agree with the last part fully. Drew was his QB in Dallas. Ok, not super, but Keyshawn and Glenn did just fine. I think Peerless should have competed with them, but he never did. I don't know why.

Digger44 said:
I am not sure I agree with the last part fully. Drew was his QB in Dallas. Ok, not super, but Keyshawn and Glenn did just fine. I think Peerless should have competed with them, but he never did. I don't know why.

Quoth Parcells:

"Yeah she really picked up her game last year"

;)

PFnV

Peerless Price? The same WR who couldn't beat out Patrick Crayton for the #3 spot?

Yeah, I'm sure he'll solve all of our problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back