SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Pray for Tampa

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 37Harrison

37Harrison 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +379
    I know it... I can't even imagine the hell people went through as it went over them as a cat 4/5.

That guy is nuts! If one piece of debris came at him... he dead!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +5,287
    I don't know how you win if you're in the meteorology business. For Harvey, there was an outside chance of a worst case scenario which was brought up, but when it happened, people complained it wasn't emphasized enough. With Irma, the worst case was emphasized and then when it didn't materialize for several parts of Florida (though the Virgin Islands were destroyed), people say the storm is overhyped.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,684
    Definitely agree.

Meterologists just can't predict things as well as we'd all like.

Given how many people live in Florida, and given how limited the north/south highway capacity is, it takes days for any sizeable evacuation to happen, yet we cannot tell exactly where the storm will be days in advance, so you have to advise evacuation for any place the storm has a decent probability of hitting, which means those limited north/south highways get even more burdened, and so on, and so on, and so on.

And the internet gives everyone an opportunity to show how stupid they are when it comes to things like this.

Sure, the media profits from hype, but this isn't a case where they are driving the narrative.

• Like Like x 3
  4. pheenix11

pheenix11 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,141
    So life is just starting to get back to normal for us down here. We evacuated to a hotel to ride out the storm, lost power and got it back on Tuesday. Had a few trees down that ended up in our yard from the neighbors yard but no damage to the house.

After losing Thursday night and then Irma the past week has pretty much been a lost week. I didn't see one minute of NFL football on Sunday, I don't even think any games were on the local channels. Looking forward to getting back to normal and to the Pats getting a win this weekend.

There's something to be said for boring normalcy, I'm getting too old for this apocalyptic crap LOL.

• Like Like x 4
  5. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,055
    Living in S. Florida and fearing the worst for my home, I was seeking out updates/track changes every 15 minutes for 4 days leading up to and after Irma passed S. Florida and here is the flaw in this storm's forecasting as I see it.
    It is clear most modeling is influenced by the European model which has the best track record by far and the National Hurricane Center bases their forecast off the European model. The issue is that the European Model only issues updates twice a day. On Sunday AM, after the Euro model updated, the storm significantly slowed down and then turned directly north. Models that update more frequently quickly adjusted their track eastward while the NHC did not adjust, relying on the Euro info. Local forecasters caught the deviation and verbally relayed this adjustment while the NHC stuck to the computer program.
    Where these models need work is when these storms make contact with land. Irma edged along Cuba for a day influencing direction, speed, force. And when Irma entered Marco Island early instead of Fort Meyers, the longer contact on mainland also influenced the force.
    That being said, the main models were almost perfect except for the last minute eastward shift that influenced (minimized) the storm's eye wall damage path.

Edit: I wanted to add an observation. Living in Palm Beach County on the east coast, winds were coming off the Atlantic from the east and the southeast, sucking up the ocean moisture, as the storm center traveled up Cuba and then the southern west coast of Florida. During this time, it poured down on the east coast fueled by the Atlantic...until the eye passed Fort Meyers (same latitude as Palm Beach). Then, the winds that punished the east coast were now coming from the south and southwest, completely over land. As soon as the wind shifted, the rain stopped completely (no moisture source) and the air was as dry as you will ever experience in S. Florida. The smell of the air was strange as well, like a dust.
    My point. ..where and when these storms hit land is so influential to the kind and amount of damage that will follow. This storm will be most remembered (in the US) for its size...a 300 mile radius that caused ocean surges on both coasts of Florida and up the eastern seaboard.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,361
    Finally got power back this afternoon.

72 hours after critical places within short walking distance (fast food restaurants, bars) had their power restored. :rolleyes:

Considering winds never got above about 50 mph and power was not lost until five hours after the storm passed, I don't want to think what would have happened had the area actually been hit by a category 4 or 5 storm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +15,928
    The power back, shutters down, generator put away, phone restored, internet restored, pool cleaned, patio furniture removed from the living room, 2 fallen trees removed....another maybe 3 hours of yard pick-up and my life is going to be back to the old normal.

• Like Like x 2
  8. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,055
    I'm leaving most of my shutters on until hurricane season is over. Takes far too much energy and time to put them back up... so....dark it is.

9. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,929
    This times ten. I'm more inland and saw a bit stronger winds but I believe our strongest gusts were at or below 80 MPH (we lost power 5 minutes into the first wave Saturday night 8:30pm-ish). I don't think any homes around here were made unlivable from wind. So here it is Thursday and there are still people nearby without power (though the power is coming on rapidly now).

Saturday morning, 4am, I was blasted out of bed by my phone's emergency alert siren. Prediction of winds up to 125 MPH were listed. Fortunately, ultimately, Irma's eye took a track much more over land that stopped any possibility of 125mph. But if the eye had taken a water track and those winds hit here, hard to imagine how widespread and how many days the lack of basic services would have been available - no electricity, no fuel, no food, from any stores, even potable water -- it could have been a couple of weeks without it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Zuma

Zuma Happy Endings PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,258
    Still no power at my place in Pompano Beach...really dodged a bullet here. I'm very thankful. The mosquitos and I are kicking it like no tomorrow. *thumbs up*

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017