SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 15th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
First Impressions
With the Dolphins up next, Steve Balestrieri takes a closer look at Miami and finds that new coach Brian Flores and his staff have their work cut out for them.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Pray for Tampa

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,034
    with my buddies, we climbed Big Blue during hurricane Gloria........drank beers in the observation tower

• Like Like x 1
  2. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,007
    We played football during Hurricane Bob. One direction was all ground game the other direction was all go routes.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +15,832
    Happy to check in. Our power was out for 26 hours but is back now. Our Directv dish was blown out of alignment and a tree took out the landline and DSL. No damage except that one AC unit was apparently damaged by debris. No TV, no internet, and half the house is hot, but I feel fortunate. Cell service has been overused so it has been hard to even access web sites by 4G.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,675
    Sounds similar to my mom. She and my older brother returned from a hotel room near Atlanta to her place in Gulfport (near St. Pete) to find some minor damage and not much electricity, but no people injured and no major issues. Sorry for the people who bore the brunt of this one, but am glad it did not go out into the Gulf and then swing back and make landfall with more energy in the low-lying west coast of Florida, where it could have taken more lives and disrupted many more lives.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,916
    You got that right Pissah. It jogged inland and stayed more north and less NNW. Having that eye stay over land was key to getting a crazy storm versus getting a cataclysm.
    It came down to simple bad luck - who would get the short stick: Naples area, Port Charlotte area, Tampa area or the eastern panhandle area. The place that got the landfall would get the cataclysm. After that it would start moving down to really crazy storm to crazy storm etc as the hours went by.
    Here, a couple dozen miles NNE of Tampa, it definitely was a crazy storm. One of the big tree falls came down right on our neighborhood entrance/exit gate. We ultimately lost power at 9pm and it came back on today at 4pm. But it was far from a cataclysm and that's in part thanks to that extreme misfortune of the Naples area.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,330
    I'm fine, the home is fine.

Been without power for 37 hours now though. Duke Energy still has 400,000 customers without power in Pinellas County. Visiting my kids now, who had power restored about 2:30 pm. Had three power trucks on my street at 1:30, then they left after a half hour. Many people have reported seeing multiple trucks sitting in parking lots, seemingly doing nothing, for extended periods of time.

This afternoon Duke Energy said they are going to send more crews to restore power, which begs the question of why did they wait that long to do so. Conspiracy theorists are claiming Governor Rick Scott wants the power to stay out for a while because he fears backlash ordering so many to evacuate. Only problem with that theory is that he is in his second term and cannot run for re-election.

Still, it does seem odd that is taking so long to restore power, considering the relative lack of damage in the area.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48,819
    It's a hurricane. The force alone does massive damage to the infrastructure. After Jeanne and Frances, it took FPL almost 3 weeks each time to restore our power. I'm a manager at the utility up here. We're having a world of difficulty because those big, beautiful oak trees that nobody wanted to trim had branches fall off and take down the power lines, knocking thousands of people out in the process. That said, we apparently got over 100,000 people back on in 24 hours. I'm familiar with Tampa and you don't have that same "oak tree" problem.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,330
    There are still plenty of oak trees here, though I can't compare to Jax - I've been to the Jackson Landing area and the stadium a couple times, but other than that my only view has been from I-95. You can't cut them down because they're considered endangered, and as you know they grow ridiculously fast due to the climate.

Glad to hear you are safe despite the pain in the butt with power and cleanup.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. DaBronxPats14

DaBronxPats14 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,725
    Best Wishes, God Bless, God Speed.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +15,832
    The non-native trees are the ones that flew all over the place. Oak, maple (wtf?), ficus, other crap. The palm trees are all standing, even if they bent 45 degrees when it was at its worst.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Simpelton

Simpelton In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,256
    I have a partial answer for that, my grandfather worked for central Maine power. It takes time to check a line for storm damage when bad weather hits a broad area. You're rarely lucky enough to have the damage restricted to one area and frequently it takes repairing one trouble spot to expose the damage in other areas.

The crews "doing nothing" were probably waiting for a severely overburdened dispatch to figure out where the next most critical area was. You want to focus first on the obvious repairs that can be done quickly and the jobs that restore power to the most people as fast as possible. It can take time to get every crew their assignment. If I had to guess every utility in Florida is quietly beefing up their dispatch as well as adding repair crews but until command and control is sorted there's only so much more trucks are gonna do.

You always THINK you have the staff on hand when you know it's coming but it's nearly impossible to be fully prepared for this kind of event, it's almost impossible to overstate the magnitude of the task it is to get a real statewide infrastructure repair job properly organized so no one's cooling their heels waiting on dispatch for their next job

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. SalemPats

SalemPats Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,002
    I don't live in Florida, but a quick question did the media overblow the hurricane damage?

13. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,045
    You have it somewhat backwards. Many palms are non-native to Florida, while most of the leaf bearing trees are native.
    "Native" in Florida means a species must have been in place prior to the European settlers.
    Living in Palm Beach, you should know how the city got its name...

The coconut palm, Cocos nucifera, is not native to Florida (nor anywhere else in the continental United States). Its presence in Palm Beach is due to the shipwreck of the Spanish ship Providencia in 1878, near Mar-a-Lago. It was traveling from Havana to Cádiz, Spain with a cargo of coconuts.[7] Since the shipwreck was near the shore, the coconuts were salvaged, and many were planted.[8][9] A lush grove of palm trees soon grew on what was later named Palm Beach.[10] Wikipedia

In my development in Palm Beach County, the native trees, especially the ficus, took a major beating. There must be a thousand giant ficus that the developer was required to plant in order to satisfy the "native species" requirements, the shade coverage requirements, etc....and in one mile long stretch, one in five ficus either toppled or broke in half.....while one royal palm (native) went down only because a ficus knocked it over.

In my neighborhood, our biggest issue was clogged sewers from the native tree leaves. I spent hours during the storm clearing sewers to limit flooding. At one point, every sewer had a neighbor stationed at it while hurricane gusts and tornado warnings were coming fast and furious.We can thank the committee to preserve native species for the consequences of their decrees. My development spends a quarter million per year to prune the native species that only cause problems. The ficus should be outlawed in Florida, not required for shade/energy savings.

PBC lucked out for the most part. When the cone was pointed at us while St Maarten was getting destroyed by 185 mph winds, I thought we were fu*$ed. It is an incredibly helpless feeling waiting and wondering if mother nature chooses you to destroy this time.

• Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  14. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,916
    Media almost always blows things out of proportion. It's what sells newspapers/gets clicks. Sensation(sex) sells as the saying goes. But even in my area to the east of what was left of the eye, A LOT of trees were downed (to be fair we are quite forested here).

With that said consider this: you're without electricity for 4 days, gasoline for your car is scarce, groceries (most especially fresh/quick perishable items) are limited to very limited (and very little means to refrigerate anything), little means to charge our every day usage devices, and very limited means to cook food (a BBQ or open fire). I was fortunate to get power back in 20 hours but access out of the neighborhood had limitations so i haven't left since Irma hit. So tonight I have found out neighborhoods VERY close by as well as not quite so close by are still without power. And everything I mentioned is happening to a lot of people.
    This isn't to say here was a cataclysmic episode like Barbuda or other more south locations took. If there is any suggestion it was even remotely close to that is a massive overblown story. But it was a hell of a storm here and it is a pretty big deal when this many people go without the basics for multiple days.
    Fair description/answer?

15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,819
    Not in Key West. They're leveled. The west coast of Florida made it out very lucky.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. 37Harrison

37Harrison 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +379
    I live in Jacksonville like Kontra and no they haven't overblown the damage this hurricane caused. I have coworkers who have lost their homes due to the flooding from this storm.

Here's a gallery showing some of the damage around Jax & St. Augustine.
    Photos: Must-see photos of Irma damage in Jacksonville area

• Useful Useful x 3
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,819
    And we got the outskirts of a Category 2. Imagine getting what the Keys got.

• Useful Useful x 3
  18. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +15,832
    Too much hype? Maybe. But it is pretty bad, and if it gets more people who are actually in an evacuation zone to evacuate next time, that would be good.

An awful lot of the extremely intense rain bands were a long way East of the center of the storm. For example, Port St. Lucie is 120 miles away from the path of the eye and got 16 inches of rain in a day, twice what Naples got while getting hit head-on! Jacksonville sounds like they got something similar to PSL. If you were not devastated by wind, you likely really got the rain. Very luckily I didn't get much of either- 80 mph winds and ~5 inches of rain.

I now have TV, thanks to a Directtv guy in my neighborhood who helped realign the dish. Now, as Homer Simpson said, I can bask in the warm glow of television's warming glow.

Still I have no internet at home, and one of the home's 2 AC units is out. But I can't complain. This is after Irma MISSED US, after all. 75% of my neighborhood has power, including me. Grocery stores are open. We have a tree guy coming tomorrow to take out the huge one that fell in our front yard, which took out the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Raymond

Raymond In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,051
    Wow. That man is taking a chance there. It wouldn't take much of an object in that wind to decapitate him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,819
    Yeah I don't know why he couldn't just hold the device out the window to measure wind speed. But it's still pretty cool to see.

• Agree Agree x 2