PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Draft Scouting Report: The UDFA's

Langi is a Lead-Pipe Lock to make the Opening Night 53, barring injury. I will be happy to see him replace Jonny Freeny.

David Jones & Damarius Travis both deserve to be given legitimate chances to replace Brandon King & the predictable bust Jordan Richards, on both defense and STs. If they can't, then they would both make good PS candidates.

Jacob Hollister & Austin Carr both face long odds to replace anybody currently ahead of them on their respective position's depth charts, which would not have been the case only a few years ago. They would also both make good PS candidates.

Josh Augusta is another good PS candidate who, unlike those mentioned above, has no realistic chance to make the 53, but can use the season to re-shape his body in order to challenge for a spot on the 2018 DL.

If either Antonio Garcia or Connor McDermott had not been drafted, then Max Rich would've stood an excellent chance of making the 53 as the 3rd/4th OT. But barring injury, that's not happening now, obviously. I really hope that he clears waivers and is signed to the PS. Other than Rich, I was disappointed with the UDFA OL signings. Bill should've done whatever it took to sign John Toth, who would've automatically been the 2nd-best Center on the team. Jessamen Dunker should've been another target as a versatile backup, with starting experience at LG, RG & LT.

Brooks Ellis should be another good PS candidate who would stand a better chance of making the 53 if it weren't for Langi being pre-destined already. Ellis is twitchier than he is given credit for being, but lacks explosive qualities to involve himself in more tackles. But he's instinctive and smart, and shouldn't embarass himself if he had to take snaps on defense or STs.

The rest of the UDFAs are merely little-regarded TC bodies, better candidates than whom should be persued to fill the rest of the PS at their positions, especially at CB.

Langi is a Lead-Pipe Lock to make the Opening Night 53, barring injury. I will be happy to see him replace Jonny Freeny.

David Jones & Damarius Travis both deserve to be given legitimate chances to replace Brandon King & the predictable bust Jordan Richards, on both defense and STs. If they can't, then they would both make good PS candidates.

Jacob Hollister & Austin Carr both face long odds to replace anybody currently ahead of them on their respective position's depth charts, which would not have been the case only a few years ago. They would also both make good PS candidates.

Josh Augusta is another good PS candidate who, unlike those mentioned above, has no realistic chance to make the 53, but can use the season to re-shape his body in order to challenge for a spot on the 2018 DL.

If either Antonio Garcia or Connor McDermott had not been drafted, then Max Rich would've stood an excellent chance of making the 53 as the 3rd/4th OT. But barring injury, that's not happening now, obviously. I really hope that he clears waivers and is signed to the PS. Other than Rich, I was disappointed with the UDFA OL signings. Bill should've done whatever it took to sign John Toth, who would've automatically been the 2nd-best Center on the team. Jessamen Dunker should've been another target as a versatile backup, with starting experience at LG, RG & LT.

Brooks Ellis should be another good PS candidate who would stand a better chance of making the 53 if it weren't for Langi being pre-destined already. Ellis is twitchier than he is given credit for being, but lacks explosive qualities to involve himself in more tackles. But he's instinctive and smart, and shouldn't embarass himself if he had to take snaps on defense or STs.

The rest of the UDFAs are merely little-regarded TC bodies, better candidates than whom should be persued to fill the rest of the PS at their positions, especially at CB.

Agreed about Toth and JD.

Still some great picks imho.

Bill should've done whatever it took to sign John Toth, who would've automatically been the 2nd-best Center on the team.

"Whatever it took"? It wouldn't have taken much. The last I saw Toth was still unsigned, and accepted an invitation to the Rams' rookie camp on a tryout basis.

Definitely surprising; I liked him as a potential 3-position backup too. As with Ben Braden, I have to assume there's something like a medical issue going on that we can't see.

It's been interesting following the transaction wire over the past week or so.

It appears that most other teams have been making multiple roster adjustments - cutting multiple incumbent roster-end players, waiving previously-signed 2017 UDFAs and replacing them with others (some waived by other teams), etc.

Meanwhile, aside from cutting Michael Williams and having a few veteran UFAs in for visits, the Pats have been inactive (so far), which seems somewhat unusual for them at this time of year.

They've also had Williams' roster spot open since last Friday.

It's beginning to feel like another shoe (or more) is about to drop.

Waiving OLman Chris Barker has created another opening on the 90-man roster.
I too was expecting some movement by now; Gerald Hodges, I hope?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back