PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible 3-4 pass rushing lb's

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_king_37

Rookie
Reaction score
Well as you guys all know its basically a given that Tully banta cain will be leaving us in free agency so im just gonna throw out some possible free agents that would be pretty good fits in the patriots 3-4 system in situational pass rushing plays like TBC was.I would prefer Chukwurah or Thomas over the rest but thats just me also be sure to add anyone i've missed.

Patrick Chukwurah- 6-1,250 2006 stats-25 tackles,4.5 sacks

Juqua Thomas- 6-2,250 2006 stats-25 tackles,6 sacks

Jeff Posey- 6-4,241 2006 stats-only made 4 tackles and no sacks but had a high of 8 sacks in 02 and also 5.5 sacks in 03

Shantee Orr- 6-0,250 2006 stats-made 32 tackles but only 1.5 sacks although in 2005 he had 7 sacks.

Antwaan Peak- 6-3,250 2006 stats-14 tackles and only 1 sack but in 05 he made 45 tackles and had 6 sacks.

Well as you guys all know its basically a given that Tully banta cain will be leaving us in free agency so im just gonna throw out some possible free agents that would be pretty good fits in the patriots 3-4 system in situational pass rushing plays like TBC was.I would prefer Chukwurah or Thomas over the rest but thats just me also be sure to add anyone i've missed.

Patrick Chukwurah- 6-1,250 2006 stats-25 tackles,4.5 sacks

I like Chukwurah. He's played as a reserve LB in a 4-3 defense (in Minn) and a nickel DE in a 4-3 defense (in Denver). I'd really like to see what he could do in a 3-4. In Denver, he never had the luxury of being picked up by a TE or running back, he was always up against a tackle.

Last edited:
Well as you guys all know its basically a given that Tully banta cain will be leaving us in free agency

I don't think its a given. A Vrabel-Colvin-TBC rotation seems to me to be the most effective and provide the most depth.

To me, unless we are replacing him with an established vet, I guess it would seem like a waste of spending all this time training TBC to play the position just to let him go without an effort.

IMO we do not need a "pass rushing" LB. We need an OLB to compliment Colvin. Our 3-4 doesn't necessarily call for a pass rusher as one typically thinks of it. We need a balanced player who can stop the run, drop back into coverage, get to the flat, and put pressure on the QB. Just one skill is not going to help us.

You state that TBC is gone, and I agree. Why is he gone? He was always a pass rush guy, even in college. He had a hard time stopping the run and dropping into coverage.

Solution? Adalius Thomas, Jarrett Johnson, or a solid draft pick. The guys you mentioned could certainly contibute during situations, but IMO they are not the fix to OLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back