PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

positional analysis: my fav wr's

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
heres a list of my fav wr's and where we could get them

chad jackson-florida-1st round, could trade back to get him; he's been likened to chad johnson, but might not be able to spread the field enough

martin nance-miami(oh)-2nd round, would prob have to trade up in 2nd rd to get him; i kinda view him as a taller givens; he has good speed, and is 6'5", but doesnt have breakaway speed, although he can separate

greg jennings-western mich-3rd-4th round, i absolutely love this guy and hope we take him with either our late third round or early 4th rd pick; his biggest knock has always been that he hasn't played tough enough competition, but believe me this kid can play

mike hass-oregon state-4th round, he's not gonna wow you with any kind of great athletic ability, but he's extremely productive; he has great hands, and just produces game after game

well these are the guys i really like, theres also skyler green, but i just dont know enough about him to really put my own opinion about him on here

as for what the pats could actually conceivably do: well i def see them taking at least one wr in day 1, maybe two; i would not be surprised if they took jackson in the first rd, and i really really hope they grab greg jennings; as for nance its prob a long shot that we get him since hes basically slotted in as an early second rd pick, and i here the jets love him; hass is a posibility early on day 2; and skyler green is a def possibility (btw he's jarvis' cousin), since he could be had with a mid day 2 pick, from lsu, and he can return, which might be a need given dwight could be gone, bethel is constantly in the dog house, and ellis may be used as starting cb again next yr

How about Demetrius Williams ? Reading the Pro Football Weekly magazine about how competitive he is and how hard a worker he is really turned me onto him as a Patriots' prospect.

patsfan55 said:
mike hass-oregon state-4th round, he's not gonna wow you with any kind of great athletic ability, but he's extremely productive; he has great hands, and just produces game after game

I'd be surprised if Hass falls to the fourth round. I've seen one mock that even had him going in the 1st round to Denver. I think he'll be off the board by round 2 or 3.

kurtinelson said:
I'd be surprised if Hass falls to the fourth round. I've seen one mock that even had him going in the 1st round to Denver. I think he'll be off the board by round 2 or 3.
3rd round at the earliest IMO. It's a deep draft and even though the WR generally suck, he is still limited by his speed which is never a good thing for a WR on draft day.

patsfan55 said:
heres a list of my fav wr's and where we could get them

chad jackson-florida-1st round, could trade back to get him; he's been likened to chad johnson, but might not be able to spread the field enough

martin nance-miami(oh)-2nd round, would prob have to trade up in 2nd rd to get him; i kinda view him as a taller givens; he has good speed, and is 6'5", but doesnt have breakaway speed, although he can separate

greg jennings-western mich-3rd-4th round, i absolutely love this guy and hope we take him with either our late third round or early 4th rd pick; his biggest knock has always been that he hasn't played tough enough competition, but believe me this kid can play

well these are the guys i really like, theres also skyler green, but i just dont know enough about him to really put my own opinion about him on here

as for what the pats could actually conceivably do: well i def see them taking at least one wr in day 1, maybe two; i would not be surprised if they took jackson in the first rd, and i really really hope they grab greg jennings; as for nance its prob a long shot that we get him since hes basically slotted in as an early second rd pick, and i here the jets love him; hass is a posibility early on day 2; and skyler green is a def possibility (btw he's jarvis' cousin), since he could be had with a mid day 2 pick, from lsu, and he can return, which might be a need given dwight could be gone, bethel is constantly in the dog house, and ellis may be used as starting cb again next yr

Honestly, I think you rate Nance too high and Hass too low.

As for what the pats could conceivably do, lets see how the 1st half of free agency pans out since that will be the determining factor as to how they draft.

I think that it is a giant misconception that this draft stinks for WR. Personally, I think this draft is going to be great for #2 and #3 receivers. I think that teams will get a lot of production out of them. There are quite a few receivers that have great hands and can gain some seperation. They just don't have the finishing speed that teams look for. Which is fine. I'll take a 1st and 10 after every pass to some of these guys. Thats all you need really.

Something tells me if Chad Jackson's name was Chad Smith, no one would be comparing him to Chad Johnson. There has to be some subliminal factor with the name similiarity...

DaBruinz said:
I think that it is a giant misconception that this draft stinks for WR.
This was a quote in the Globe a few days ago :

"An NFC receivers coach said there isn't a player at that position in the draft that interests him."

The coach may have been exaggerating to make a point but the point remains.

DaBruinz said:
I think that it is a giant misconception that this draft stinks for WR. Personally, I think this draft is going to be great for #2 and #3 receivers. I think that teams will get a lot of production out of them. There are quite a few receivers that have great hands and can gain some seperation. They just don't have the finishing speed that teams look for. Which is fine. I'll take a 1st and 10 after every pass to some of these guys. Thats all you need really.

i couldnt agree more
this is EXACTLY how i feel

the only reason ppl think this draft stinks at wr, is cuz there arent a few great ones like there usually are

but there are a lot of good #2 or 3 receivers to be had in this draft

BelichickFan said:
This was a quote in the Globe a few days ago :

"An NFC receivers coach said there isn't a player at that position in the draft that interests him."

The coach may have been exaggerating to make a point but the point remains.

Well, if that NFC Receivers Coach was for the Cardinals or Lions, then I would agree with him. Neither of those 2 teams would be looking at receiver since they have some of the best young receivers in the leauge. Just no QB to get the ball to them.

Just reading the Sporting News draft guide. They comparr Jason Avant to Davud Givens. Hard worker,uses quickness instead of speed. will take a hit, good blocker, sure hands. Doesn't have break away speed. Projected as a 3rd rounder.

patsfan55 said:

IS it just me, or does that sound like a certain middle linebacker for the Pats? Does not have the best talent, but just gets the job done.

PATSNUTme said:
Just reading the Sporting News draft guide. They comparr Jason Avant to Davud Givens. Hard worker,uses quickness instead of speed. will take a hit, good blocker, sure hands. Doesn't have break away speed. Projected as a 3rd rounder.

believe me avant doesnt know how to catch with his hands

stevedogc said:
IS it just me, or does that sound like a certain middle linebacker for the Pats? Does not have the best talent, but just gets the job done.

true
hass is def a patriot type player

but, the pats dont always go after patriot type players at wr, they like to get guys to fit certain roles and who can do it extremely well: make plays after the catch (deion and troy), world class speed (bethel), great hands physical and good route runner (givens)

so, at wr, i feel the pats look more at ability and athleticism than prob any other position

primetime said:
Something tells me if Chad Jackson's name was Chad Smith, no one would be comparing him to Chad Johnson. There has to be some subliminal factor with the name similiarity...

I've personally been very impressed with what I've seen of Chad Jackson, and wouldn't mind us taking him in round 1 at all. IMO, I think BB/Pioli (BBP) will take a wait and see approach - waiting to see who falls into their laps with the picks. The top priorities are LB (ILB or OLB, since Vrabel can play either), WR, and RB (for after Dillon). For each of the first three rounds, there are people who could be great picks at those positions where the Patriots sit in the draft. If Williams (RB) falls, he'd probably be the first choice (IMO) at 21. If not, then if one of the top LBs is still there, they'd be the next choice. If not, then I'd go with CHad Jackson, and go to LB and RB in rounds 2 and 3.

Kiper and others say that this is the worst WR class in a while.

That is true if you just look at the top. In going through the PFW and TSN draft guides that are out, I see several good prospects to fill the Patiots needs in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

So, for the Patriots, this should not be a bad WR class as we don't need that #1 reciever. We could grab a couple that could fill the #2 & #3 reciever spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back