Popular myth vs. reality article that addresses some widespread beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

supafly

Eff you, Shula
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Saw this on ESPN while I was combing their homepage for scores. It covers a nice handful of popular fan theories like whether or not Brady gets more roughing the passer calls than other QBs, if sitting on the timeout in SB49 vs. SEA was on purpose, if Belichick’s choice to go with left footed punters actually helps, and if Gronk has really lost a step.

I know that we all hate ESPN, but I thought this piece was kind of cool and didn’t know where else to post it. If anything, it answers some questions and gives you more ammo for the inevitable Pats-related debate that you’ll be having with that douchey guy at the office.

Barnwell: Myths vs. realities from Patriots' 18-year dynasty

Cliffs? Sorry to be that guy, too lazy and antsy to click an espn article to dissect without having any context on these answers.

Wish he’d have added a did they tape the rams walkthrough section in there and what the real spygate infraction was, but glad they addressed the rtp bs for sure. Bookmarked for Stiller fans I encounter.

Wish he’d have added a did they tape the rams walkthrough section in there and what the real spygate infraction was, but glad they addressed the rtp bs for sure. Bookmarked for Stiller fans I encounter.
I would have liked to have seen some stuff on Brady’s supposed cliff in terms of comparisons to other years where he didn’t necessarily set the league on fire.

‘06, ‘13–maybe ‘02

In other words—how different is this season?

Arm strength, tight coverage windows, throwing to a wide open guy, late game heroics, etc.

(Edited : for specific year examples)

Last edited:
Somebody already posted this in the main thread. Terrible article. Barnwell is a jackass.

The idiot talks about myths, blah, blah, blah, and then is not even aware of the Carson Palmer rule?

I would have liked to have seen some stuff on Brady’s supposed cliff in terms of comparisons to other years where he didn’t necessarily set the league on fire.

‘02, ‘05, ‘09, ‘12, ‘13

In other words—how different is this season?

Arm strength, tight coverage windows, throwing to a wide open guy, late game heroics, etc.

Just as an aside; Brady led the league in TDs in 2002...a different time.

Somebody already posted this in the main thread. Terrible article. Barnwell is a jackass.
Not sure what “the main thread” consists of, or even where it’s located, but I didn’t see previous mention of it prior to starting the thread.

Perhaps it can be merged into whichever thread you are referring to if it belongs there.

Just as an aside; Brady led the league in TDs in 2002...a different time.

It’s rather difficult to find “bad seasons” for Tom Brady, but the idea was to compare the so-called *cliff* with periods that would be considered down years when measured by his unusually high standards.

I included 2002 since it was the only time he’s missed the playoffs, with a 9-7 record. He also had a lower completion percentage around 62% and tied his career high (14) for INTs. It looks like 2006 and 2013 would have been better examples, although his receiving corps was likely the culprit, there.

At any rate, I would’ve liked to have seen them have the balls to address that issue in the article.

One of the biggest myths fans of other teams whine about is that you cannot hit Brady w/o getting a flag. Roughing the passer stats disprove that year after year yet the narrative continues.

Another myth is they perpetually have a weak schedule mainly due to division. Reason they end up near the bottom of the ratings is they always have a great record and every win makes their schedule statistically weaker. (if they averaged 10-6 every year vs 12-4 they would have played "better teams")

Pats biggest accomplishment has been their tremendous consistency throughout this entire run. No matter what their talent level is, injury situation or schedule it is almost a guarantee that the Pats are one of the top 4 teams in the league when all is said and done.

One of the biggest myths fans of other teams whine about is that you cannot hit Brady w/o getting a flag. Roughing the passer stats disprove that year after year yet the narrative continues.

Another myth is they perpetually have a weak schedule mainly due to division. Reason they end up near the bottom of the ratings is they always have a great record and every win makes their schedule statistically weaker. (if they averaged 10-6 every year vs 12-4 they would have played "better teams")

Pats biggest accomplishment has been their tremendous consistency throughout this entire run. No matter what their talent level is, injury situation or schedule it is almost a guarantee that the Pats are one of the top 4 teams in the league when all is said and done.
Yes, the “weak schedule” issue would’ve been an excellent one for them to tackle and wouldn’t have been difficult at all.

Barnwell really does suck at his job. His last two "fact checks" in this article are, sadly, clear demonstrations of this. It's too bad, because a more fully fleshed out, and better executed, article delving into such 'myths' would be a worthwhile article for a national audience to look at and discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots