PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PI Red Flags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Lessens excitement too...used to be you’d have a brief moment of yeah! No flags! Now it’ll be no flags...oh, there’s the challenge flag...time for a snack..ok, they upheld the play...that’s cool I guess...

The problem is in finding a way to word the "We reserve the right to reverse a play if it's clear to everyone with eyes that the refs missed the call by a country mile, and it's a critical play that needs to be gotten right" in such a way that it won't lead to more and more calls being reviewed as the definition of what's clear is expanded over time. People like to be dismissive of slippery slope arguments, but those arguments get made because that sort of ramped up encroachment happens all the time.

NFL overreacted to the missed call in New Orleans. It was a terribly missed call. We get it. Punish the refs or say something to the Saints. It's not often a call is missed like that. Likely won't happen again for a long time. Fact of the matter is Brees could've overcame the call and not throw a pick in OT. The Saints defense could've stopped the Rams from tying the game.

Ellis Hobbs "face guarding" which isn't a penalty from the same game come to mind.
That was the worst call of the game. Refs made up a penalty and it was quite bizarre Phil Simms said it would be a “face guarding” penalty before it was announced.

Coaches will abuse that rule. All because of one damn mistake. Payton should have been a man and moved on.

Payton definitely should have handled it better but no matter, the call should have been made. It wasn't just a mistake, it was a big mistake in a big moment.

And then we can look back at the big mistake in a big moment from the year before, when a NO player messed up. That was incredible.

I wonder if the Saints have something else coming their way. They're on a bad run.

The problem is in finding a way to word the "We reserve the right to reverse a play if it's clear to everyone with eyes that the refs missed the call by a country mile, and it's a critical play that needs to be gotten right" in such a way that it won't lead to more and more calls being reviewed as the definition of what's clear is expanded over time. People like to be dismissive of slippery slope arguments, but those arguments get made because that sort of ramped up encroachment happens all the time.
Absolutely. Unfortunately, I think the reality is there’s no way of stopping it. As you say, it always starts with, yeah this is great it will make sure the obvious things get caught, and then it becomes analyzing every freaking play.

I was very much against it in the first place. I can live with it if we are talking about really blatant, obvious PI’s. Whether it works for or against the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes