PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phase One Of QB Search Is Over; On to Phase Two

That makes sense, but it’s only one of the major factors they will consider. I think Belichick would love to have a hybrid QB with the athleticism to extend plays but he would still believe they can win with one who manages games really well but doesn’t have that exceptional arm or athletic ability. I’m fine with them taking Jones if he is still there when they pick.
Belichick had twenty years of success and six Super Bowl titles with someone who didn't have an exceptional arm or athletic ability. I can't read Bill's mind, but in many ways he seems "old school." Seeing him infatuated with athletic, running quarterbacks seems a stretch.

Then your statement should be, "Belichick thinks Stidham sucks," rather than "Stidham sucks."
I think he sucks too, and I’m sure a lot of people would agree with me. I’ve seen him on the field, he’s usually throwing an interception. I’ve seen enough.

"I've seen enough." A few games with fourth quarter mop up duty. Thanks, Nostradamus.
Okay buddy if you’re good with him as your starting qb that’s cool. Will see if he’s even on the team let alone starting week one. Then I’ll get back to you and see how much it a genius you are.
I’ll tell you what, if he’s starting week 1, I’ll buy you his jersey so you can wear it proudly you Schmuxk.

Belichick had twenty years of success and six Super Bowl titles with someone who didn't have an exceptional arm or athletic ability. I can't read Bill's mind, but in many ways he seems "old school." Seeing him infatuated with athletic, running quarterbacks seems a stretch.

None of the recent QBs he’s drafted recently have really fitted that template either. They’ve been pocket passers rather than dual threat guys.

I see it the other way around. Last year showed BB and McD how much more unpredictable and successful they can be when they are not being held back by having to build an offense around a pure pocket passer.

Cam was pretty successful with his legs creating over 50 first downs and scoring 12 TDs. And they did that when most teams played to stop it.

There is a big inherent advantage to mobility that regularly gets ignored here.

I am not at all enthused about Jimmy G and his big price tag and coupled with his injury history. Now that the draft order is reset and it is looking more and more like QB option #4 & #5 are off the table, do they trade a lot of draft capital to move way down in the draft??

Stidham is still an unknown, but hopes are not that high for him.

#4 Atlanta (1800 pts)
#5 Bengals (1700 pts)
#7 Detroit (1500 pts)

The Patriots total draft picks are valued at about 1800 pts, in 2021 so to move on up may have to include next year's #1 as well.. which I am fine with for what looks like a really good QB class.. give him some time to red shirt and dependent on Cam ( not much faith) and let him ease his way in.

Cynical comment; maybe it is better to trade away these picks before Goodell finds a way to steal them.

We need 2 quarterbacks: a future top 10 QB and a 1-2 year bridge. As of now, we have Cam.

Phase 1
--------
Choose a backup/bridge quarterback from among the free agents. Presumably, all the available quarterbacks were evaluated. Belichick chose Cam. Please correct me if you think that any free agents are still out there that Bill might choose to upgrade Cam.

Phase 2
--------
We could trade for the backup QB on a team that is drafting one of the top 3 or even the top 5 quarterbacks. This could happen before the draft, during or after.

Phase 3a
--------
This is the top 15 picks of the draft. Do we get one or not? We would still need a backup/bridge. It seems likely that the top 5 will be gone by Pick 12.

Phase 3b
---------
Ok, we've failed to get anyone in free agency, and in the top of the draft. Now what? Should we take a stud at 15, and hope to move up to get one of the quarterbacks we want? More likely would be trade down in the HOPE that we will get one of the quarterbacks we want.

Phase 4
--------
Perhaps, we will still be scrambling to trade for a backup, or signing one in free agency.
=========================
MY HOPE
is that we trade for one of the backups (perhaps with the jets, the jags or SF) AND draft a potential quarterback of the future.
My question is why wasn't phase 1 completed before the Pats let Brady go? Does anyone really think that phase 1 was bringing in some stiff that nobody else wanted? I don't believe that's the case and that tells me that Bill wasn't prepared for Brady's departure.

My question is why wasn't phase 1 completed before the Pats let Brady go? Does anyone really think that phase 1 was bringing in some stiff that nobody else wanted? I don't believe that's the case and that tells me that Bill wasn't prepared for Brady's departure.
I doubt there isn't anyone here that can answer your question, but there is a multitude of opinions by folks in the various Brady or QB option threads. BB's thought process is not something we are privy to and it boils down to (in my mind) two types of choices: 1) We have faith that BB will right the ship and support him or 2) We don't think he will be a competent GM/coach and we criticize him and hope he gets fired so someone else can right the ship. I'm a "1" guy. That's not to say that there is never a reason for people to criticize him, even if yo are a "1" guy, but this constant bashing of his difficult task of replacing the greatest QB to ever play was always going to be hard and with a ton of criticizing. I think BB knew this and chose his path the way he did with this in mind, he isn't stupid and he is always thinking many moves ahead of most of us.

Believe as you will.

For you, everyone not named Brady is a stiff.

For you, I should have made clear that I was talking about 2021 decision making. Belichick passed on lots of quarterbacks to choose to re-sign Cam.

Belichick passed on lots of quarterbacks to choose to re-sign Cam.

At one point I did not believe Bill would subject the fans, the Krafts, his players, his staff, and his prodigal son Josh McDaniels to another year of Cam (especially when it looks like a crucial year in Josh's rapidly declining career).

Reality though is that as of right now Cam is our starting qb and no amount of tears and denial is changing that.

Thankfully there is still time. We'll see what happens between now and draft day.

If that is Cam then so be it. If its Mariota or a more realistic version of JG (ie. 3rd round + heavily restructured contract leaving SF to pick up the tab) then its one of them. Add additional names if you want.
Just a reminder: the Patriots convinced the 49ers to eat most of Brian Hoyer's contract in 2017. I'm not sure how willing they are to do it again. A more likely possibility, given that he has no remaining guaranteed money, is they rework his deal to lower his 2021 cap number while giving him some guaranteed $ in 2022, with some mechanism to ensure he doesn't stay in SF (like fully guaranteeing the entire deal if he's on the 49ers roster 10 days after he signs or whatever).

Mariota at his best is a worse version of Cam.

Unless Jimmy becomes reasonably available, Cam has to be the vet competing with whatever rookie QB is drafted.

Okay buddy if you’re good with him as your starting qb that’s cool. Will see if he’s even on the team let alone starting week one. Then I’ll get back to you and see how much it a genius you are.
I’ll tell you what, if he’s starting week 1, I’ll buy you his jersey so you can wear it proudly you Schmuxk.
That’s not what he is saying. What he and most here know is that Stidham has not played enough to gauge whether he is any good or not, so what we go on is Belichick’s decision not to play him last season when Newton was sucking @ss.

Details of Jimmy's contract:

Current contract counts $25 million against the cap in 2021 and $25.6 million in 2022. If 49ers cut him, then only $2.8m in dead money.

I could imagine the 49ers restructuring the contract to add some guaranteed money and keep him for this transitional year. So there is a scenario where the Pats ride with Cam for this year plus whatever later-round QB they find, and then do a deal for JImmy for next year.

Believe as you will.

For you, everyone not named Brady is a stiff.

For you, I should have made clear that I was talking about 2021 decision making. Belichick passed on lots of quarterbacks to choose to re-sign Cam.
Believe as you will.

Everyone not named Brady is not a stiff in my mind or anyone else's.

For you, it should be clear that Cam was a stiff last year. I'll believe he isn't when he shows me that he isn't, and not a day sooner.

I see it the other way around. Last year showed BB and McD how much more unpredictable and successful they can be when they are not being held back by having to build an offense around a pure pocket passer.

Cam was pretty successful with his legs creating over 50 first downs and scoring 12 TDs. And they did that when most teams played to stop it.

There is a big inherent advantage to mobility that regularly gets ignored here.
cam lumbers.. those 12 tds could have been from a RB

Mariota at his best is a worse version of Cam.

Unless Jimmy becomes reasonably available, Cam has to be the vet competing with whatever rookie QB is drafted.
at least he can throw..Cam is just plain bad as a thrower. Why sign one of the best after the catch TEs and have Cam not be able to hit the guy in stride? Cam better not be the starter..he sucked last year.. One of the worst QBs in the league.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back