PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phase One Of QB Search Is Over; On to Phase Two

Going with Cam this season, after Bill's spending spree, is a bit like a woman purchasing $100k in jewelry from Tiffany's and then deciding to wear the stones with a $25 Walmart dress. Belichick is going to be 69 in a few weeks. Starting Cam is a decision not to contend for the Super Bowl and effectively wastes one year of the limited number he has remaining.

I don't buy the 49ers bluffs, I would be shocked if Jimmy is still a 9er by draft time as the best suiter is NE.
Mullens is more available than Jimmy G. They still need a bridge guy.

Yup. If they go QB in the draft then Cam is clearly the bridge. We won 7 games with him in a year where we had nothing in terms of quality receivers, Cam didn’t have a full off-season and had Covid and we were missing starters as a result of Covid. I don’t think for a minute that Cam is a particularly good answer but with a full off-season, a much improved offensive roster and a much better defense an extra three wins doesn’t seem like an impossibility and a shot at the playoffs.
did you watch him throw last year? He is NOT the answer.

I want both. Trade for either Mariota or Garrapolo, and get one of the top 5 QB prospects in this draft. If they go into the season with that type of mix I will feel ok about it. It doesn’t mean they have solved the issue but at least they are trying like hell to,
I don't see the rush to just grab the 5th best QB in the draft this year. If BB and Josh have targeted one in particular, then fine. But to just take the 5th best QB this year hoping he will be the future? No way.

I don't see the rush to just grab the 5th best QB in the draft this year. If BB and Josh have targeted one in particular, then fine. But to just take the 5th best QB this year hoping he will be the future? No way.
There are 5 rated 1st round caliber QB’s in this draft, and unless they want to give up an arm and a leg the most likely one to be available is Mac Jones. They won’t take him because “ he’s the 5th,” they will consider him because he’s a winner, he comes from a great program, and he could fill a huge need for them, but if Belichick doesn’t think he’s worth the pick then we won’t see him taken there. I’m all for taking the best players available because ultimately that’s how you build the best team, but need still comes into the equation. If they think they can better address QB by trading, and then use the #15 to fill another need with a top prospect then they can go that route.

These “phases” sound like covid vaccine shot phases

did you watch him throw last year? He is NOT the answer.

So you don’t think adding the players we did in FA could possibly net three additional wins to last year, a year in which we had the worst receiving Corps in the NFL?

Im glad that somebody thought to start this thread.

Do you guys think that Jimmy will come back?

So, you are saying that Cam is likely to be our starter. Have the best off season ever, and then start Cam. How very sad.
Cam is NOT the answer at the Least!!!

You are making things more complicated than they are.

If a vet QB option of interest becomes available at a acceptable price point that player might be brought in to compete with Cam for the QB1 position.

If we end up drafting a QB in the draft it won't affect the QB1 question unless that rookie is a GOAT level learner that can absorb, understand and recall everything thrown at him at a high level proficiency. Odds are no matter where we take a QB, be it #7, #97 or with our final pick that player will sit at least through a red shirt year.

The decision tree is really not bigger than that.
No it’s much bigger than that because we literally have no legitimate QB. The rookie would have to be epically slow learning to not supplant the suck that is newton and in the event that happens we need to have upgraded the current below average backup that is at the top of our miserable depth chart at the position.
Or we can just suck again and be right back here next year.

There are 5 rated 1st round caliber QB’s in this draft, and unless they want to give up an arm and a leg the most likely one to be available is Mac Jones. They won’t take him because “ he’s the 5th,” they will consider him because he’s a winner, he comes from a great program, and he could fill a huge need for them, but if Belichick doesn’t think he’s worth the pick then we won’t see him taken there. I’m all for taking the best players available because ultimately that’s how you build the best team, but need still comes into the equation. If they think they can better address QB by trading, and then use the #15 to fill another need with a top prospect then they can go that route.
The crucial element here is what Saban tells Belichick about Jones. If Saban is thumbs up, particularly on intangibles, I can easily see Belichick drafting him.

Going with Cam this season, after Bill's spending spree, is a bit like a woman purchasing $100k in jewelry from Tiffany's and then deciding to wear the stones with a $25 Walmart dress. Belichick is going to be 69 in a few weeks. Starting Cam is a decision not to contend for the Super Bowl and effectively wastes one year of the limited number he has remaining.
Amen...they’ve done nice job bringing in GREAT receiving help in Hunter Henry and above average potential in Smith Agholor and Bourne.....but bringing back Sham is like putting Ketchup on Filet Mignon...He is AWFUL...We need either Stidham to step up which I believe is real possibility.....or a good vet or one of top 4 QB draftees!!!! Have to have Decent QB or we are going nowhere!

So, you are saying that Cam is likely to be our starter. Have the best off season ever, and then start Cam. How very sad.
Pathetic actually

Amen...they’ve done nice job bringing in GREAT receiving help in Hunter Henry and above average potential in Smith Agholor and Bourne.....but bringing back Sham is like putting Ketchip on Filet Mignon......We need either Stidham, a top vet or one of top 4 QB draftees!!!!
Stidham sucks. I’d rather go with Cam

The crucial element here is what Saban tells Belichick about Jones. If Saban is thumbs up, particularly on intangibles, I can easily see Belichick drafting him.
That makes sense, but it’s only one of the major factors they will consider. I think Belichick would love to have a hybrid QB with the athleticism to extend plays but he would still believe they can win with one who manages games really well but doesn’t have that exceptional arm or athletic ability. I’m fine with them taking Jones if he is still there when they pick.

Stidham sucks. I’d rather go with Cam
How do you know how good Stidham is? The only metric we have is that Belichick kept him on the bench when Newton was sucking big time. None of us have actually seen enough to judge his play.

How do you know how good Stidham is? The only metric we have is that Belichick kept him on the bench when Newton was sucking big time. None of us have actually seen enough to judge his play.
I think bills seem enough of Stid to realize he couldn’t replace a horrible Cam. I don’t know anything, I’m going off of Bills decision not to play him over someone who looked like he didn’t belong in the nfl.

I think bills seem enough of Stid to realize he couldn’t replace a horrible Cam. I don’t know anything, I’m going off of Bills decision not to play him over someone who looked like he didn’t belong in the nfl.
Then your statement should be, "Belichick thinks Stidham sucks," rather than "Stidham sucks."

I know we need something to talk about, but other than the 49ers moving up, not much has changed. Everyone (including myself) just keeps repeating themselves over and over.

We’ve got a long ass time until the season starts. Some expected, and a lot of unexpected moves will happen before the first kickoff. I’m positive Bill is going to exhaust every avenue to find his guy.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back