PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT's Top 25 : #20 - Seau

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
Don't know how many have been following ProFootballTalk's Top 25 players of the past 25 years, but they revealed #20 on the list today, and it's Junior Seau.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/No20Seau.htm

When thinking about the best linebackers over the past 25 years, it's easy to be seduced erroneously into thinking that a guy who had a huge season or two, who was successful only when a couple of 300-pounders were gobbling up offensive linemen, and/or who ended up on the cover of a video game merits a spot on the list.

We prefer to think more broadly, and to honor players whose performance puts them among the best to have ever played the game.

Junior Seau has never been a megastar, but he has authored one of the longest and most consistent runs of greatness at any position in the history of the league..... [more at link]

Too bad he doesn't "get it" about Brady in his ranking. I like Florio and he's entitled to his opinion. But isn't football all about winning? Doesn't 3 SB rings count for anything? I'll take SB victories over flashy passing records any day - I think some of the QBs he has ranked higher than Tom would too.

It was nearly impossible for us to whittle out the final two. Though many readers have lobbied for the inclusion of Tom Brady on the list, he hasn't even played in 100 regular-season games. By the time he's done, he very well might be the best quarterback, and possibly the best overall player, ever. But he has yet to do enough, in our opinion, to surpass Aikman, Elway, Favre, Manning, Marino, Montana, or Young.

Too bad he doesn't "get it" about Brady in his ranking. I like Florio and he's entitled to his opinion. But isn't football all about winning? Doesn't 3 SB rings count for anything? I'll take SB victories over flashy passing records any day - I think some of the QBs he has ranked higher than Tom would too.

And, in his flawed opinion, the top player at each position over the last 25 years has to be in the top 25. Hence, Vinatraitor is No. 25, but Brady doesn't make the list. :rolleyes:

It's hard to understand the lack of love for Brady. I'm especially purplexed on why he feels Aikman should be ahead of Brady.

Aikman was the ULTIMATE system quarterback. He played behind perhaps the greatest offensive line in NFL history which also helped produce the NFL's All Time Rushing Leader, Emmit Smith. Then there's Michael Irvin.

Brady has never had any of that type talent around him but has still managed to equal Aikman's three rings and Brady's numbers are far superior. In fact, Brady's worst statistical year is comparable to Aikman's best.

Here's how it should be...

1) Montana
2) Elway
3) Brady
4) Manning
5) Favre
6) Young

I think once Brady has a full body of work, after he retired hopefully many years from now, he'll be up there. Winning the SB is definitely the pinnacle of any football players career...but plenty of scrubs from Dallas to Pittsburgh etc. have won multiple superbowl rings, should they all be included on the list ahead of great players who never won a SB?

I think he stated pretty fairly why he is not including Tom Brady in the list, and I think he makes a good argument for the type of list he is putting together. Would I like to see Brady on the list, sure, but it's not super important. So he didn't make the top 25 so far in his career...I'm guessing by the time he finished, that list will look decidedly different...and he may make a big splash this year with a snazzy new receiving corp.

I can agree with his list so far, I think he's done a good job...we'll have to see how it all shakes out. Obviously a lot of players will get left out because there have been so many great players. We'll have to see how he handles the rest...

It's hard to understand the lack of love for Brady. I'm especially purplexed on why he feels Aikman should be ahead of Brady.

Aikman was the ULTIMATE system quarterback. He played behind perhaps the greatest offensive line in NFL history which also helped produce the NFL's All Time Rushing Leader, Emmit Smith. Then there's Michael Irvin.

Brady has never had any of that type talent around him but has still managed to equal Aikman's three rings and Brady's numbers are far superior. In fact, Brady's worst statistical year is comparable to Aikman's best.

Here's how it should be...

1) Montana
2) Elway
3) Brady
4) Manning
5) Favre
6) Young

If I'm starting a team, the only QB on that list I'd consider taking over Marino is Montana. The dude was simply the greatest passer ever, it's not his fault the Miami front office consistantly failed to surround him with servicable talent.

Last edited:

I agree but -
Who is the higher ranking basketball player Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberland. In my opinion it's Russell because team games (vs golf and tennis) are about the result of the team because great team players adapt their strengths to the common good.

With that said where is Bradshaw on any lists - he was never statistically great but 4 SB's and 14-5 in the playoffs, while making all the play calls showed leadership at least equal to Brady (so far)

1 Montana
2 Bradshaw
3 Brady

Marino and Farve can play for my fantasy team but I wouldn't have either in my top 5

I disagree with you. I don't think it's that he doesn't respect Brady as a player - he says afterward that he could end up being the best quarterback of the bunch. However, he doesn't believe that he's been around long enough to justify being in the Top 25. I can definitely respect that opinion, and it's a perfectly legitimate point. He's probably only halfway into his career at this point, and there's a lot more Tom Brady left.

I disagree with you. I don't think it's that he doesn't respect Brady as a player - he says afterward that he could end up being the best quarterback of the bunch. However, he doesn't believe that he's been around long enough to justify being in the Top 25. I can definitely respect that opinion, and it's a perfectly legitimate point. He's probably only halfway into his career at this point, and there's a lot more Tom Brady left.

:rocker: From your keyboard to God's monitor. :)

Last edited:
And, in his flawed opinion, the top player at each position over the last 25 years has to be in the top 25. Hence, Vinatraitor is No. 25, but Brady doesn't make the list. :rolleyes:

It's a poor, poor decision. I can understand choosing Marino or Aikman over Brady, given they played full careers and Brady is only 7 years in. But to choose a kicker and a tight end over Brady (or Aikman, for that matter) is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down