PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Texans, all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is some aspects to be encouraged by Meyers. His metrics are pretty good for a rookie WR - 62.9% catch rate & 13.6 yards per reception. These are just plays from the first half:

1) Posters have mentioned previously but on the play that was meant to go to Harry, Meyers did separate in the middle of the field

View attachment 25337

2) An example of a negative. Posters with more knowledge could correct me. Why are two players side by side running verticals in the first quarter? Meyers should be coming in more right? He has a sizeable gain if he runs the right route

View attachment 25336

3) Edelman takes the underneath defenders. Meyers is open against zone for a sizeable gain

View attachment 25338

4) Edelman is doubled. Meyers separates from his man but Cannon ends the play

View attachment 25339

5) Edelman doubled. Meyers trips up the cornerback in man & the underneath defender is in zone. There is a first down to be had but Brady launches it to Edelman

View attachment 25340

6) Meyers beats his man. Cannon ends the play

View attachment 25341

7) Edelman doubled. Meyers beats his man but Brady is going deep to Dorsett. Dorsett runs the wrong route as this play could have been a big gain if he goes vertical

View attachment 25342

8) Meyers is open vs cover 2 zone. What looks like a bad Brady pass on the TV angle may be Meyers drifting too upfield

View attachment 25343

In just the first half Meyers showed he has potential & can separate vs man. He also showed his fair share of rookie mistakes - drifting on a potential TD in the endzone, running the wrong route, not understanding Brady's hand signal & not settling in a zone

This kid can play. Unlike Thompkins 46.4% catch rate & Dobson 51.4% there have been a decent amount of positives with the negatives. Healthy Sanu in the slot with Edelman, Meyers & Dorsett rotating on the outside (Harry redzone specific?) may be the way to salvage the offense

Thanks a lot for you effort. Posts like this is why I especially love the rewatch thread after lost games. After taking a closer look at a lot it I usually come away feeling a lot better about why things awry.

Last edited:
I actually think that we should start using pony formation on 3rd downs, put Burkhead in there on the other side.

One thing is clear, we just can't continue doing the same thing on third down, expecting White to bail us out because he will be well covered.
He should be a decoy however that would also require one of the new comers to run the right route and actually momentarily separate from a defender and catch the ball

The issues on offense are a marriage of failures at various levels.

This is what I believe it is...a combination of so many factors:

- Not using Michel/Burkhead in the passing offense.
- Not trying to power rush (maybe not having Izzo had something to do with that) or sticking with it a bit more.
- Missed blocks (Cannon doesn't look good right now and Mason might be hurt).
- Poor route running.
- Poor passing.

This is what has me hopeful...if we can just get a little better everywhere across the board...I think we start to roll.

He should be a decoy however that would also require one of the new comers to run the right route and actually momentarily separate from a defender and catch the ball

Either a decoy or having pressure taken off him by having another RB available to split out. Or if White draws a mismatch, he could split out, and the other stay in to protect.

Dorsett had a bad day, overall. But a few commentators on this play have raised the point that Brady's "pistol" signal could not be seen from Dorsett's POV, because White is in the way.

It was a one-read call. Brady was never going to look elsewhere. It's similar to what he did with Gordon. A very simple play/call.

then every single one of these plays needs to be scraped unless the receiver is edelman, white, or one of our other pass catchers shows that they can get open consistently...it makes no sense to me that we design a play and it hinges solely on one of our young, unexperienced WRs

we have tom brady, we have other better pass catchers, scheme to take advantage of that not make Brady an auto-bot...

The Baldinger vid of Dorsett in the end zone seems to have turned the tide on the Brady bashing, at least a bit. The agenda people will continue to ignore the evidence in their quest to be the first to get the "Brady's done!" story (finally) correct, but those without that sort of heavy investment seem to be coming around to the real issues.

And I think Dorsett had better figure this stuff out in a hurry, or he's going to be on the outs permanently.

On this one, it looks like Dorsett stops ever so briefly in the back of the end zone, then tries to pick up speed across it again. I don't think the throw would have been perfect there either, but it looks like Brady read it thinking Dorsett would keep running, and Dorsett got a fleeting instinct to sit, then thought better of it. Very subtle, but enough to blow the timing on the play.

yup

The Baldinger vid of Dorsett in the end zone seems to have turned the tide on the Brady bashing, at least a bit. The agenda people will continue to ignore the evidence in their quest to be the first to get the "Brady's done!" story (finally) correct, but those without that sort of heavy investment seem to be coming around to the real issues.

And I think Dorsett had better figure this stuff out in a hurry, or he's going to be on the outs permanently.

Honestly, I though Brady missed Dorsett but from this analysis, it looks like it was a mistake by Dorsett.

One thing I am noticing from these games is the lack of detail by the offense. Poor route running and such. I wonder how much of this is coming from youth or from lack of accountability from the coaches.

Last edited:
Honestly, I though Brady missed Dorsett but from this analysis, it looks like it was just a small mistake by Dorsett.

One thing I am noticing from these games is the lack of detail by the offense. Poor route running and such. I wonder how much of this is coming from youth or from lack of accountability from the coaches.

Outside of Edelman, this team's entire non-RB receiving corps is a disaster right now.

Outside of Edelman, this team's entire non-RB receiving corps is a disaster right now.

You might be right. There is another play that shows both rookie receivers ending up in the same location. Basically allowing a single guy to cover them both at the same time.

Honestly, I though Brady missed Dorsett but from this analysis, it looks like it was just a small mistake by Dorsett.

This offense is all abt timing, seeing what Brady is thinking & then rr. R/r is very important but it all starts before the ball is snapped & adjusting post snap if coverages are being disguised.

And of course it helps if your WRs don't give up leverage like Meyers & Harry did. Which speaks to rr. Dan O talked abt Meyers but Harry's route on the INT was awful.
Both win at line. Meyers w a stretch release but Harry is slow coming off that plant step & fails to create any separation. He's a guy that needs to use his physicality & win at the top of his route more often then not bc of the type of WR he is.

I don’t know why, but I’m getting PTSD from watching that. It’s like I’ve seen something like that before with Meyers but I can’t quite pinpoint when.

This offense is all abt timing, seeing what Brady is thinking & then rr. R/r is very important but it all starts before the ball is snapped & adjusting post snap if coverages are being disguised.

And of course it helps if your WRs don't give up leverage like Meyers & Harry did. Which speaks to rr. Dan O talked abt Meyers but Harry's route on the INT was awful.
Both win at line. Meyers w a stretch release but Harry is slow coming off that plant step & fails to create any separation. He's a guy that needs to use his physicality & win at the top of his route more often then not bc of the type of WR he is.
Harry’s route on the INT was so bad that I originally thought it was a slant in real time. He rounded that puppy off. It doesn’t exactly inspire confidence when you hear “I guess I could have used my body more.” But that’s going to come with the territory when you decide to heavily rely on two rookie wideouts. We saw a lot of the same things in 2013.

I don’t know why, but I’m getting PTSD from watching that. It’s like I’ve seen something like that before with Meyers but I can’t quite pinpoint when.

I don't want to take the thread too far afield, but what we saw against Houston is the sort of thing that gets already struggling GMs and coaches fired (Now, let me emphasize that I don't mean that I think BB should be fired, and am talking about this type of performance from an already embattled HC/GM's team). What we saw out of that offense was just that bad.

And the part that pisses me off most is that this was 100% preventable. This team had the players, and it got rid of them. Whether we blame BB or Kraft, this is on the "front office":

Brown
Gordon
Thomas

“The Patriots’ issues in the passing game aren’t on one person. It’s not only Brady’s fault or McDaniels or the receivers, it’s everyone. And only the guys in the locker room can fix them.”

A quick one before I gotta get some work done.

Here is the endzone view on the INT. Harry's role in this was already widely discussed; no need to keep piling on.

What hurts almost more is how wide open Meyers was in the middle:

I think that part of the "Brady building trust" thing includes what he sees on film.

Meyers is becoming more and more intriguing to me. The guy seems to have the "it" factor.

“The Patriots’ issues in the passing game aren’t on one person. It’s not only Brady’s fault or McDaniels or the receivers, it’s everyone. And only the guys in the locker room can fix them.”

That article had some pretty lousy analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots