PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats & T.O. A Match Made in Heaven???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYPER

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I'm serious with this. Don't bash me until after you've taken a moment to consider it.

We need WR's. Givens is most likely gone. Branch and Johnson are the only WR's under contract right now. Clearly we need to rebuilt the WR corps.

TO will come on the cheap. He'll need to sign an incentive driven contract.

TO had legitimate complaints with Philly & McNabb. McNabb is overrated and not as good as the media likes to make him out to be.

TO played his ass and risked a lot in doing so against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. It's understandable why he'd be a little frustrated with his QB who despite perfect health, began to dry heave late in the game and cost the Eagles a chance to tie the game b/c he couldn't catch his breath.

McNabb basically melted under the pressure.

In New England, we've actually got the legitimate "BEST QB" in the league. We've also got the best organization and best character.

I really believe that if TO came here, we'd see him at his best. TO is not a problem when things are going well, TO is a problem when things start falling apart around him.

The Eagles didn't implode b/c of Owens. That team liked to use him as the scapegoat but the truth is they were already on their way down. In fact, if anything, it was that sinking reality that helped bring out the worst in Terrell Owens.

In New England there's very little risk of things falling apart around him. This team, this organization, is built to sustain long term success.

I realize that it will probably never happen but I really do think this is the ONE place where TO would not be a problem.

Can you imagine how good Brady could be with Owens and Branch as his WR's? And let's not forget about Watson and Graham.

We'd be unstoppable.

Especially after we draft a real RT in the first round and move Kaczur to OG. I doubt we'd be interested in T.O. but we probably have the clubhouse to do it and my gut feeling says T.O. finally settles down with his next, and likely last, team.

I've taken a moment, now can I bash you?

...and what sort of message would that give the lockerroom where the veterans live the team first approach and force the rest to follow?

If Owens really could be had cheap, I wouldn't be violently opposed to the idea. I wouldnt' be doing cartwheels, but wouldn't be vomiting either.

However, the reality is that some team is going to pay TO near the amount of $$ that he is looking for, and that team will not be the Pats.

My guess is that its anyone of the Four Turd Collectors: Redskins; Bucs; Broncos; Cowboys.

FWIW (get ready....) a guy I was talking to in bar claimed to be good friends with one of TOs PR people (I live in LA so its possible) and she said TO to Dallas was a done deal. Take it with a quark of a speck of a grain of salt, just passing it on.

tombonneau said:
FWIW (get ready....) a guy I was talking to in bar claimed to be good friends with one of TOs PR people (I live in LA so its possible) and she said TO to Dallas was a done deal.
That was the obvious guess all along. Parcells needs to win and soon. Bledsoe can get the ball downfiled. Owens gets to play in the same division as the Eagles. Jerry Jones is willing to take a chance.

Game, set, match.

You are using logic... TO has not and will not. TO got HIS CHOICE OF TEAM from the NFL and still wasn't happy. F*** him! I wouldn't want him on the team if the NFL gave us salary cap credit.

PYPER said:
In New England, we've actually got the legitimate "BEST QB" in the league. We've also got the best organization and best character.
Yes, we have the best character by not acquiring players like TO. If we got TO, then we would no longer be a team with the best character.

PYPER said:
I really believe that if TO came here, we'd see him at his best. TO is not a problem when things are going well, TO is a problem when things start falling apart around him.
This is exactly the reason why no team should take him. Things just don't go right all the time. What you are saying is that if something goes wrong, the TO will destroy the team chemistry. You are banking on everything going right. If everything went perfectly in the season for any team, if they won all their games, and the WRs all caught passes then no one would need TO anyway.

PYPER said:
The Eagles didn't implode b/c of Owens. That team liked to use him as the scapegoat but the truth is they were already on their way down. In fact, if anything, it was that sinking reality that helped bring out the worst in Terrell Owens.
Scapegoat? You must never have watched any sports news or turned on ESPN from mid summer to mid fall.

This year the Pats went down from the previous year. So if TO were here, that would excuse him from destroying the team form within. "It's not TO's fault. If the team had been winning, he would have been fine. It was the going downhill that made TO bad."

PYPER said:
In New England there's very little risk of things falling apart around him. This team, this organization, is built to sustain long term success.
There is as much risk in NE as anywhere else for things to fall apart. NE minimizes the risk by not picking up players they think are risks, and cutting players when they pick one up and they turn out to be a risk (Steve Martin) even if they are a tremendous asset to the team (Bryan Cox).

The team is built for long term success by having players who are team oriented, and can survive inevitable periods when things go wrong. Picking up players who will self destruct and destroy themselves and those around them when things go bad is NOT building a team for long-term success.

The Patriots are what they are because of who they are. Change who they are and they become a different team. A worse team.

Okay, as you requested I've considered a To-Pats marriange Considered it thoughtfully. For more than a moment.

Now it is time.

You are a moron.

tombonneau said:
My guess is that its anyone of the Four Turd Collectors: Redskins; Bucs; Broncos; Cowboys.

FWIW (get ready....) a guy I was talking to in bar claimed to be good friends with one of TOs PR people (I live in LA so its possible) and she said TO to Dallas was a done deal. Take it with a quark of a speck of a grain of salt, just passing it on.

Dallas does seem like one of the few places that make sense. The Redskins, Broncos and Raiders have cap trouble, and barring a CBA breakthrough this is a tough year for an incentive-laden contract. Plus Parcells has plenty of confidence in his own authority. But...Owens and Keyshawn Johnson? (What is it with WRs, anyway?)

Would adding T.O make us the favorite for SB 41?

This is a repeat of the same argument from a couple weeks ago. With that said I agree 100% with your post. I think T.O would allow us to spend valuable resources on the Oline ,and another quality back, instead of wide receiver. The combination of those moves would make us the favorite next year.

There is one, and only one, way that T.O. will ever play for the Pats:

If Bill Belichick et al. (A) are convinced T.O. has reformed (à la Corey Dillon), or (B) they find a way to neutralize the Locker Room Poison BEFORE they sign him. There is no way in h*** they'll sign him otherwise.

BelichickFan said:
Especially after we draft a real RT in the first round and move Kaczur to OG. I doubt we'd be interested in T.O. but we probably have the clubhouse to do it and my gut feeling says T.O. finally settles down with his next, and likely last, team.

Yeah, who it should be is a team like the Conshohocken Steelers or the Prince William Monarchs. He exhibits symptoms of a serious mental problem, like bipolar disorder. However, he has never fessed up to anything, or apologized for his outrageous actions against teammates and coaches. So, why should any NFL team take a chance on a 2-time loser. I certainly hope the Patriots don't.

If you want us to seriously consider acquiring any player never mind a player of TO's quality, you should factor in a consideration of the Patriots salary cap and how that person would fit within the cap. I don't have the impression that there is any possible way we could fit TO under the cap so the rest of the discussion becomes moot in my mind.

Bring cancerous, self-centered, obnoxious Turd like T.O. into Patriot's "Team First" environment? I believe Satan would be ice skating in Hell before this would ever take place. Can't see BB chancing 5 years of careful effort in team building being flushed down the toilet by one obviously destructive turd like Owens! No ****ing way.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Agree with what spacecrime said except for the moron part. Totally uncalled for.

I have toyed with the idea from time to time but the bad far outweighs the good as far as TO is concerned. I could forgive what he did once and maybe think he was a changed person. But after him screwing two different teams over (3 if you count Baltimore) I don't think he will change.

You know....If I didn't know any better I'd think that most of you didn't like Terrell Owens.

That's just crazy talk.

He's a very nice guy. I hear he spends his free time helphing old ladies bag their groceries. He even offers to carry their bags out to their cars.

Once, he even ran into a burning house to save a little girl's favorite doll. Sure it might have been a doll of himself but don't tell me that that makes it any less kind.

But seriously...

If Belichick and Pioli met with TO and decided that he was not the bad apple he was portrayed to be and signed him to a contract, would you guys give him the benefit of the doubt and support the aquisition or would you boo him at every turn and agree with the Borgess criticism of the move.

PYPER said:
I'm serious with this. Don't bash me until after you've taken a moment to consider it.

Many of us have already considered it and written it off because T.O. is ONLY about T.O. Not about a team.

PYPER said:
We need WR's. Givens is most likely gone. Branch and Johnson are the only WR's under contract right now. Clearly we need to rebuilt the WR corps.

This is false. The Pats have already signed Rich Mushinski and John Stone. Also, Bam Childress is an ERFA, basically making him a Patriot. While I agree, they are not exactly quality, they are WRs under contract.

PYPER said:
TO will come on the cheap. He'll need to sign an incentive driven contract.

TO won't come cheap. 1st off, if he is traded for, then it will probably be a 3rd rounder. Also, he has a pretty big contract. He was throwing fits over his contract this season because he felt he wasn't getting paid fairly.

PYPER said:
TO had legitimate complaints with Philly & McNabb. McNabb is overrated and not as good as the media likes to make him out to be.

TO played his ass and risked a lot in doing so against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. It's understandable why he'd be a little frustrated with his QB who despite perfect health, began to dry heave late in the game and cost the Eagles a chance to tie the game b/c he couldn't catch his breath.

McNabb basically melted under the pressure.

This is also false. McNabb wasn't in perfect health. McNabb had suffered a concussion in the game against the Panthers 2 weeks prior to the SB. McNabb also suffered one in the SB after Bruschi clocked him but good. To put the blame SOLELY on McNabb is ludicrous. The Eagles coaching staff and defense were just as much to blame.

PYPER said:

While this is true. You know the old wives saying don't you. "One bad apple spoils the bunch."

PYPER said:

And how is that a good thing? A GOOD teammate, instead of pulling the antics that T.O. has pulled, works with the rest of the team to get the team out of it. He doesn't go off blaming everyone but himself, ala Peyton Manning or T.O.

PYPER said:

Terrell Owens was as much of the problem for the team imploding as the rest of the Eagles were. Terrell Owens has a massive ego and if he's not the center of attention, then he does anything he can to make himself the center of attention. Case in point, the Eagles. When T.O. got there, McNabb was the center of attention. When that didn't switch to T.O., we saw the real situation come out.

PYPER said:

There is always a risk of things falling apart. One only has to look at this season to see that to be the case. The Pats had some catastrophic injuries occur. Had it not been for the depth the Pats have, the Pats probably would be picking in the top 10.

PYPER said:
I realize that it will probably never happen but I really do think this is the ONE place where TO would not be a problem.

Can you imagine how good Brady could be with Owens and Branch as his WR's? And let's not forget about Watson and Graham.

We'd be unstoppable.

Again, I disagree. I think that T.O. would be just as big of a problem in New England as he was in Philadelphia. Andy Reid is no slouch when it comes to discipline and he couldn't handle T.O. Neither could guys like Kearse and Dawkins. 2 very BIG LEADERSHIP guys.

T.O. couldn't survive in New England because T.O. believes he should be touching the ball nearly as much as the QB. New England has purposely designed its offense to NOT have a dtrict GOTO receiver. The reason? Unpredictability. The Pats want to keep opposing teams off-guard.

Even if T.O. agreed to the vet minimum with an incentive laden contract, I would be afraid of him being on the Patriots. We have a young TEAM and don't need someone with the "ME" Ego like T.O. has.

Pyper,
Do you think there are enough catches in this offense to satisfy Owens? I think Tom spreads it around too much for him to ever be happy. He complained about Garcia and Peter King ran down the Garcia-Owens combo in one of his MMQB columns and compared it to Manning-Harrison and some other famous QB-WR and Garica-Owens was right up there and that wasn't good enough for him.

My co-worker and I talked the other day about what qb in this league would TO be happy with and we couldn't name one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes