PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign QB Brian Hoyer, LB Brandon Copeland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disposable clipboard carrier means he helps the starter stidham and knows the system to step in if necessary.

Agree. Was a good signing.

Hoyers experience will be valuable.

Valuable in what way? Every available qb roster spot should be filled with potential long term answers until we find a qb. Hoyer does nothing but occupy a spot that should he filled by another potential candidate for the future. Take a qb from the XFL. If he sucks, cut him and sign another one. Draft 2 QBs this year, and keep doing that until you feel you've found your guy. Until we have a qb, Hoyer serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

You only have so many spots on your roster, and you need to have a qb to be successful. Until you have a qb, what is the point of filling one of those spots with a guy you know isn't the answer?

Last edited:
Disposable clipboard carrier means he helps the starter stidham and knows the system to step in if necessary.

What if Stidham isn't the answer? What point did Hoyer serve besides occupying a spot that should have been filled by another candidate?

What if Stidham isn't the answer? What point did Hoyer serve besides occupying a spot that should have been filled by another candidate?
It doesn't work that way. If you think you can win with Stidham long term you should do everything you can to make that happen. That means having a guy like Hoyer in the QB room with him. If you want to replace Kessler with a rookie, fine. But you can't have Stidham and two kids and hope for the best. You have to give him all the support you can.

Last year I wanted Hoyer gone for the roster spot. This year, having him makes all the sense in the world.

That's less than a buck apiece!!!!*
*Yes, I get it being $200 ea

Well, that's interesting... Rap says Hoyer believes the team is giving him a shot to compete to be the starter. Maybe Stidham isn't as close to set-in-stone as believed.

Interesting because Stidham beat out Hoyer for the backup slot last year as a rookie. One year later, after often leading the first team in practice, Stidham will not be easier to dethrone as the starting QB.

Might as well see what we have in Stid the Kid, and bringing Hoyer into the building again should extract the most applied knowledge possible from him...

Stidham
Hoyer
Kessler
7th-rounder/UDFA (unless Justin Herbert drops to 23, then I don't want even an early/mid-Day 3 pick wasted on a QB)

Interesting because Stidham beat out Hoyer for the backup slot last year as a rookie. One year later, after often leading the first team in practice, Stidham will not be easier to dethrone as the starting QB.
Good point. Either Hoyer thinks the second time's the charm or it's just PR platitudes.

It doesn't work that way. If you think you can win with Stidham long term you should do everything you can to make that happen. That means having a guy like Hoyer in the QB room with him. If you want to replace Kessler with a rookie, fine. But you can't have Stidham and two kids and hope for the best. You have to give him all the support you can.

Last year I wanted Hoyer gone for the roster spot. This year, having him makes all the sense in the world.

You absolutely can, and you should, have Stidham and two kids. Three chances to find your QB vs. two. You aren't winning anything with Hoyer. He is simply occupying a spot for another potential candidate. If lightning strikes, and you're lucky enough to find two QBs, you've got ammunition for a trade. Hoyer gets you nowhere.

Might as well see what we have in Stid the Kid, and bringing Hoyer into the building again should extract the most applied knowledge possible from him...

Stidham
Hoyer
Kessler
7th-rounder/UDFA (unless Justin Herbert drops to 23, then I don't want even an early/mid-Day 3 pick wasted on a QB)

that is a lot of qb’s on the roster. How are the practice reps going to be divided?

Stidham
Hoyer
Kessler

that is a lot of qb’s on the roster. How are the practice reps going to be divided?
I was thinking more in terms of the 90-man TC roster, and not really of the regular-season 53...

You absolutely can, and you should, have Stidham and two kids. Three chances to find your QB vs. two. You aren't winning anything with Hoyer. He is simply occupying a spot for another potential candidate. If lightning strikes, and you're lucky enough to find two QBs, you've got ammunition for a trade. Hoyer gets you nowhere.

There are only so many first team reps and 1on1 coaching time (and tape review) to go around which means you can't have a serious three person camp competition at QB. We don't live in a world where practice time is unlimited. Instead we live in a world where it is not even guaranteed that training camps can happen on time (if at all) given the COVID outbreak.

This is absolutely the time to have a veteran presence in the room especially if that player has a lot of experience in your system already. Bonus points for being cheap and not affecting comp picks.

We now have a QB who can be an additional mentor to Stidham & co, help him with game prep the same way he helped Brady, is a real asset as scout QB and in emergency situations can jump in and at least play according to the playbook. And all this without using up much coaching time or hogging reps which in turn can be directed towards the younger QB(s) to accelerate their growth.

Nobody is suggesting Hoyer is the future QB for the next year here. That is unless Stidham falls apart.

Last edited:
Valuable in what way? Every available qb roster spot should be filled with potential long term answers until we find a qb. Hoyer does nothing but occupy a spot that should he filled by another potential candidate for the future. Take a qb from the XFL. If he sucks, cut him and sign another one. Draft 2 QBs this year, and keep doing that until you feel you've found your guy. Until we have a qb, Hoyer serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

You only have so many spots on your roster, and you need to have a qb to be successful. Until you have a qb, what is the point of filling one of those spots with a guy you know isn't the answer?
Look I’m a pessimist myself but sign some XFL QB over Hoyer? Cmon dude.

Hoyer sucks and can't take a hit... we are going to miss seeing Brady getting up over and over again after a Big Hit. Some of these young QB's are not as durable in that role. We don't know if Stidham can take a hit. I think we will have to carry Three QB's just in case of that uncertainty. Yeah BB and Kraft is going to miss Brady.

Stidhim, Hoyer, and rookie QB. See how it shakes out this year. Next year will be either Stidhim or the rookie

Hoyer sucks and can't take a hit... we are going to miss seeing Brady getting up over and over again after a Big Hit. Some of these young QB's are not as durable in that role. We don't know if Stidham can take a hit. I think we will have to carry Three QB's just in case of that uncertainty. Yeah BB and Kraft is going to miss Brady.

That’s a good point, Brady could take a beating and get back up.

They will probably have 4 QBs in camp. Pretty good chance they will draft one. Might sign another. Best QB starts, like every position, every year. Same as it ever was. Bill doesn’t care. It’s one reason why Michael Bennett was cut and Adam Butler is still here.

Personally, I love the report coming out that Hoyer was told he would have a chance to start. I don’t know Stidham personally, so I have no idea what motivates him, but you’ve gotta think reading reports about guys being brought on as competition has gotta light a fire under your ass. If he wants it, he’s gotta earn it. Want those reps with the 1’s? You’re gonna have to beat out the other guys wanting the keys to the car. Stidham’s gonna have to maximize every opportunity he gets to prove his leadership on and off the field & and with his performance on the field. He’s either gonna break under the pressure, or rise up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hoyer getting 1st team reps to start the offseason training program.

If Hoyer is starting game 1, then basically BB is willing to throw away this season. I do not disagree with this strategy, since Pats are completely hamstrung by Salary cap this year. It does seem like a reasonable possibility.

Tough to get excited about Hoyer as your starter. But really, how likely is it Stidham will be ready to go?? I would rather have Kessler than Hoyer as day 1 starter.

If Stidham is not the answer, bottom out next year and draft someone who is the answer.

There are only so many first team reps and 1on1 coaching time (and tape review) to go around which means you can't have a serious three person camp competition at QB. We don't live in a world where practice time is unlimited. Instead we live in a world where it is not even guaranteed that training camps can happen on time (if at all) given the COVID outbreak.

This is absolutely the time to have a veteran presence in the room especially if that player has a lot of experience in your system already. Bonus points for being cheap and not affecting comp picks.

We know have a QB who can be an additional mentor to Stidham & co, help him with game prep the same way he helped Brady, is a real asset as scout QB and in emergency situations can jump in and at least play according to the playbook. And all this without using up much coaching time or hogging reps which in turn can be directed towards the younger QB(s) to accelerate their growth.

Nobody is suggesting Hoyer is the future QB for the next year here. That is unless Stidham falls apart.

The Patriots don't need a "mentor" for Stidham, they need a qb. If Stidham isn't the guy, Hoyer was doing nothing but taking a spot from other legitimate candidates.

The limited coaching/evaluation time is all the more reason to not have Hoyer on your roster. Why waste limited reps on a guy you 100% know isn't the answer? The team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and they won't be going anywhere for much longer if they don't find a QB. Stidham may be great, but if he's not the answer, having Hoyer on your team accomllishes nothing but a wasted roster spot.

Teams without QBs don't have the luxury of having "mentors" on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down