PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
How’s his blocking? Our #1 and future TE still hasn’t been drafted yet, but maybe ASJ can be our Allen replacement for 2019.

I like it. If he’s the TE1 come September then that’s a problem, hoping they have a good idea for one of the draft class bros. I think he can make some plays as a receiver, create opportunities for some of the same type of size/speed mismatches they’ve gotten used to abusing, and even if his blocking hasn’t been a huge strength as a pro he seems to have the skills and size for it so if he wants it I’m sure they’ll coach him up. Nobody they get is going to be the every-down/every-scenario solution that Gronk was - I think this is a good, low-investment piece to start with in rebuilding the TE spot.

For the minimum?

Genius move

Great signing due to the very good potential for overly positive cap dollar:production ratio.
ASJ at the end of the 2019 season will have approx. 5y/10m career earnings. A breakout season means he'll then sign a multi year contract that will double, or more. his career earnings in just 2020 & 2021. The one year signing for 2019 is a career move 'I'm here to prove it and be a UFA'.
The motivation for ASJ will never be more poignant than 2019. A top QB/offense, a top coaching staff, a system highly focused on being your best without the nonsense. If ever ASJ was going to be a top 10 dual threat TE this may be his only chance. IMHO he has the potential and he's found just the right situation to realize it and realize the monetary windfall of it in 2020.
Now get him a solid rookie prospect to have to compete against!

I've always been intrigued by ASJ. Hopefully the offense clicks for hm. This offense is tough for rookie WR and TE. There's a real chance that ASJ will be our #1 TE especially the first half of the season.

Has anyone made any grandiose prediction yet?

800 Yards and 10 Tds for ASJ

If I keep saying those, Im bound to get one right

Has anyone made any grandiose prediction yet?

800 Yards and 10 Tds for ASJ

If I keep saying those, Im bound to get one right
You still owe us from the Scott Chandler fiasco.

This is a really smart signing.

Glad Seattle did not pony up any additional cash!

2017 highlights when he had 50 receptions ...

College...

Lots of free releases! Could be a blessing in disguise not having to see our tight end mugged snap after snap at the LOS.

ASF Combine Stats:
6'5 262 lbs
33 3/4" arms
9 3/4" hands
80" reported wingspan
4.56 reported 40 in a workout for Jets

He has all the physical tools and measurements, but can he ever put it all together and reach his potential?

It's a gamble, but it could pay off. Pats are a team that likes to take risks and are sometimes rewarded for doing so.

I was high on ASJ coming into the draft. He has the tools but the question has always been his heart + off field demons. Now it 'seems' like hes kept his off field bs at bay. Question now is with a potential payday at the otherside of this season- can he stay healthy, committed and engaged with a program. Its a typical Patriots move, low risk-high reward.

Hes a true 'combo' tightend where in theory he can catch balls well and also block well. Its a start in addressing the obvious holes.

I still expect them to draft a tight end and there's no telling when that would be. I wouldn't even rule out more FA TEs or a trade. The no stone unturned approach and I like it.

What do those numbers represent? 3 what? 2.9 what?

It’s also tougher to get separation when 1) you’re double teamed, 2) teams use CBs on you frequently, 3) defenses are allowed to apply the Shaq rules on you to equalize the playing field. ASJ had none of those obstacles. Pretty worthless stat in my view.
On top of that it looks like he gets a lot of free releases just like Kelce gets.

You still owe us from the Scott Chandler fiasco.
Im just glad u don't remember me betting on Mitchell having over 1000 yards in his second season, thinking Jordan Matthews would work well here, guessing Dorsett winning the 3rd Wr spot last season and changing my avatar to Josh Gordon literally on the week he got suspended again

Who's counting anyway?

It's a minimum deal.

If he flops he flops and doesn't make it past training camp.

If he plays okay he stays on the team, anything extra is a bonus.

Again the team can cut him without issues anytime throughout the season.

Don't think too hard about this. Low risk, medium (?) reward.

Im just glad u don't remember me betting on Mitchell having over 1000 yards in his second season, thinking Jordan Matthews would work well here, guessing Dorsett winning the 3rd Wr spot last season and changing my avatar to Josh Gordon literally on the week he got suspended again

Who's counting anyway?

It sounded like Jordon Matthews was working out pretty good until he got hurt.

Wow! what a bone a player we know... I think BB is finally listening.

Wrong as usual
Good to know. I’ll put you down as someone who believes <30 receiving yards a game for a TE is VERY GOOD.
More evidence you just dont understand the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes