PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Seahawks Pre-Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, (and I’ve been saying this for a while now) Wilson is the best QB in football. ALL things considered; talent, leadership, maturity, intellect/reading defenses, mobility, AVAILABILITY, carrying teams with little talent to the postseason (obviously, not 2013), clutch, poised, great in inclement weather etc..I’ve watched him do great things over the past few years, especially after 2013. I haven’t seen Mahomes play with little/to no talent. He inherited everything, like a trust-fund kid (offensive talent, great coach, perfect system etc) NO KNOCK at all against Mahomes; he’s an EXCELLENT QB, I’d love to have him. It’s really amazing what Mahomes has been able to accomplished in such little time, while not FULLY understanding the game due to youth, but I’ve actually seen Wilson do all the things mentioned above for years now. He’s HIGHLY underrated!

I get where your heads at but I would argue Russ fell into a pretty incredible situation in Seattle himself, especially when compared to a peer like Cam Newton. Russ happened to have probably the best defense ever on the other side of the ball, where all he had to do was not screw it up for his first few years. Hand it off to Marshawn, throw some quick hits to Golden Tate with the occasional prayer to Doug Baldwin and let the legion of boom to the rest. The last few years Russ has looked like an MVP at times, and he very well might be MVP this year, but coming into the league with a historically great defense, a top RB and weapons like Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin, plus excellent coaching set Russ up to succeed.

This is purely hypothetical of course, but I think if you drop Mahomes, or even Cam, in 2012 Seattle with that defense and weapons and you’d see more than just one Super Bowl win.

I get where your heads at but I would argue Russ fell into a pretty incredible situation in Seattle himself, especially when compared to a peer like Cam Newton. Russ happened to have probably the best defense ever on the other side of the ball, where all he had to do was not screw it up for his first few years. Hand it off to Marshawn, throw some quick hits to Golden Tate with the occasional prayer to Doug Baldwin and let the legion of boom to the rest. The last few years Russ has looked like an MVP at times, and he very well might be MVP this year, but coming into the league with a historically great defense, a top RB and weapons like Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin, plus excellent coaching set Russ up to succeed.

This is purely hypothetical of course, but I think if you drop Mahomes, or even Cam, in 2012 Seattle with that defense and weapons and you’d see more than just one Super Bowl win.
My whole premise was based off of his career BESIDES 2013-14..

We’re going to kick there butts Sunday night. Can’t wait it’s time for this team to make a statement go pats I’m fired up those pricks don’t have nothing for us with there the 12s that they stole from Texas a@m. Cam does Santa cam visits sick kids all time and those people act like there only ones kuz there the 12s from seattle. I love u guys man I’m fired up go pats I think we can do it. I believe do u guys

This is purely hypothetical of course, but I think if you drop...Cam, in 2012 Seattle with that defense and weapons and you’d see more than just one Super Bowl win.

Zero would be more likely.

PS...Cam will come out ready to ball, he and Seattle just do not get along.

Let's hope he leaves his big gold chain in the locker-room because if he doesn't the Seahawks defense will be going for it straight-away. #NoDistractions

That’s where I am with Wilson also. I live in Vancouver so I see a lot of Seahawks football. He came into an ideal situation. Best D of its era, great RB, good coaching. For him it was basically just don’t F it up.

When he was there the first few years, the team had to coddle him. Carrol asked the D to lighten up on him in practice and they hated that. Once he got the big contract and the other star players on D left he hasn’t been able to carry them far.

Very good player but not a generational one like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes...

We’re going to kick there butts Sunday night. Can’t wait it’s time for this team to make a statement go pats I’m fired up those pricks don’t have nothing for us with there the 12s that they stole from Texas a@m. Cam does Santa cam visits sick kids all time and those people act like there only ones kuz there the 12s from seattle. I love u guys man I’m fired up go pats I think we can do it. I believe do u guys

you can count me in.

with all due respeck, but m not counting my fryers until the eggs hatch.

I choose to ignore the horrifying punctuation and grammar issues in this post because I LOVE the passion and positivity (and because I recognize that it was written just after midnight on a Sat morning).

1600515677762.gif

LET'S GO PATS.

I just watched the Seahawks Falcons game. Falcons played a good game besides a few boneheaded plays. Falcons could have won this game. They just made some really bad plays in the 1st half that spotted the Seahawks 7 to 14 points.

On the Seahawks 1st possession of the 2nd half they were driving. Seahawks converted a 1st down to the Falcons 43. Darqueeze Denard takes a shot while tackling the receiver. He gets down on one knee to signal for help. Russell wants to go to hurry up while Falcons substitute. Ref ignores the player who is taking a knee and calls the Falcons for 12 men on the field. Mark Schlereth talks about the Falcons not getting the memo on substitutions and hurry up, and doesn't even notice the injured DB taking a knee. It's now a 1st and 5 instead of the ref blowing the whistle for injury timeout. Falcons manage to hold it to 4th and 5 at the Falcons 38. Do the Seahawks still go for it if it was 4th and 10? Maybe the playcalling is different. Who knows but Metcalf scores a TD when the Seahawks go for it on 4th and 5.

And from there on Falcons were chasing points constantly. Going for it on 4th down at their own 35, going for 2, going for it on 4th down when they had an easy FG available. That's another 12 point differential right there.

The question I have is, how good is the Falcons defense? In particular their front 7. Seahawks o-line looked average against them.

The Seahawks secondary gave the Falcons WR's a lot of respect by playing off a lot. They have two really good Alabama receivers after all. Matt Ryan threw for 450 yards but I'd say about 300 yards were against non prevent defense. Will they play tighter against our receivers? Or were the Seahawks secondary playing scared to cover up deficiencies? This is the matchup I'm really interested in seeing. Our receivers might be able to light it up this game.

The Falcons were in this game despite what the score may suggest. I'm cautiously optimistic we will beat the Seahawks after watching this game.

Last edited:
The thing is that the Patriots have historically attacked Seahawks-style defenses with a quick passing game with an emphasis on receiving backs. So I am not sure it makes much sense to look at Cam's historic stats with the Panthers because he will be asked to run a different type of attack this week then back in Carolina.

I still think you score prediction sounds about right unless things break our way through turnovers or red zone issues for the Seahawks.
I think you’re right about seeing a different type of attack this week. Seattle has a relative weakness at CB, so I expect to see a blend of the quick passing game you describe, especially with our receiving backs and traditional slot receivers on crossing routes, blended with Harry and especially Byrd stretching the field and challenging the CBs to stop them.

If Cam can run that game plan effectively it will pose quite the quandary for DCs preparing to face the Patriots in future games, won’t it?

I think you’re right about seeing a different type of attack this week. Seattle has a relative weakness at CB, so I expect to see a blend of the quick passing game you describe, especially with our receiving backs and traditional slot receivers on crossing routes, blended with Harry and especially Byrd stretching the field and challenging the CBs to stop them.

If Cam can run that game plan effectively it will pose quite the quandary for DCs preparing to face the Patriots in future games, won’t it?

Is Seattle's relative weakness at corner more serious than our major weakness at WR? Can can run the plan you describe. The open question is the wide receiver, along with our top TE Izzo.

Is Seattle's relative weakness at corner more serious than our major weakness at WR? Can can run the plan you describe. The open question is the wide receiver, along with our top TE Izzo.

It would be the perfect game for Doughboy to put it all together.

“Top TE Izzo.” :oops:

yes, whether Seattle’s corners or our WRs are the weakness is the big question. I’m not convinced we have a weakness at WR, for the overall roster that is. This week we aren’t at full strength with Jules and Harry already dinged up and Gunner still on IR. That aside, to me we have a question not necessarily a weakness at WR with this roster because they are mostly untested and unproven, at least in this offense, thus unknown.

Games like this are the tests, until we see the results we don’t really know so to me it’s premature to assume they fall short. Also think that any game might be the game we see one or both our rookie TEs step up and supplant Izzo at the top of that position group. I don’t see that as a big step even for rookies in Belichick’s rookie protecting system.

I’d be happy to see the same performance from Harry this week as last, minus the fumble, along with some similar numbers from Byrd and Meyers, with Jules getting a lighter workload. At TE I’m hoping we see one or both of the rooks getting more time and touches. My feeling is that Asiasi has the higher ceiling as a receiver but I’m not really sure how they stack up as blockers although my impression is that Keene may have the edge there. Anyway I figure their relative roles will probably shift depending on the matchups and game plan (run mix) each week. Expect to see much more of White this week, more passing to the RBs in general. I’m particularly interested to see if Taylor has a role in the passing game. I think it would be very exciting to get the ball into his hands in space. Lots of Different ingredients for the offense to put together. Can’t wait to see what Josh cooks up.

Wilson, great QB, athletic, smart, good looking, personable...but onto the Seattle QB, he's the best in the game right now along with Mahomes.
Pats have top DBs and decent discipline in their rush.
Our problem will be scoring. Seattle will be prepared for the RPO offense. No game one surprise. Seahags poor run D helps us.
Rooting hard for a W but Seattle will need to be off and we'll need to be near flawless for a W here.
No crowd noise 12th person and BB as our coach helps here.
I see what you did there... lmao.
....accurate assessment of “Wilson” to be sure, but you forgot “old as dirt”.

Dont if i can watch the game, buuut I do hope i can find a record of it somewhere later....

Roaming foruns and infos, i feel like the Seahawks have played a preeeetty good wk 1 in retrospective, cause they didnt show their hand on our weekness: the running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back