PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Ravens all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it looks like the Pats were trying to manipulate the gap blocking scheme by setting up the down linemen in an odd formation.. Notice the DT's setting up over the tackles on their ourside shoulders ... this can cause a gap for the Mike to split if the OG misreads on the split gap... Wilfork used to be good at blowing this stuff up, was very strong and hard to move off his mark when hitting gaps
That could have also just been a response to the unbalanced line, though.

I saw Lazar pointing to this yesterday.

While it is interesting stuff what always puzzles me is how coaches or even the armchair experts set everything perfectly up by explaining whats going on but then essentially leave out the final act of their own carefully made content which resolves it all: an explanation what could have been done to counter what the opponents were doing.

From that point of view.. anyone have insight into it ?

More four man fronts, but the players need to win their one-on-one battles off the ball in that case and we lack penetrating interior players. I see why they went with a two-gap base in this game, but I've never been a fan of that against the read option. Part of it was the fact that the DL and LBs were paralyzed, almost shell-shocked at times. The Ravens have a good, physical OL.

More four man fronts, but the players need to win their one-on-one battles off the ball in that case and we lack penetrating interior players. I see why they went with a two-gap base in this game, but I've never been a fan of that against the read option. Part of it was the fact that the DL and LBs were paralyzed, almost shell-shocked at times. The Ravens have a good, physical OL.
You’d rather one-gap and attack Jackson downhill? That’s risky, brotha.

it looks like the Pats were trying to manipulate the gap blocking scheme by setting up the down linemen in an odd formation.. Notice the DT's setting up over the tackles on their ourside shoulders ... this can cause a gap for the Mike to split if the OG misreads on the split gap... Wilfork used to be good at blowing this stuff up, was very strong and hard to move off his mark when hitting gaps

Unfortunately, as large as he is, Shelton just isn't Vince Wilfork.

You’d rather one-gap and attack Jackson downhill? That’s risky, brotha.

With our talent at LB and in the secondary, I would take my chances. It would at least push the LOS back and get the front seven attacking. Once they're on their heels, you can back off and keep things in front of you a bit more. I'm not saying pin their ears back completely, but enough to disrupt the rhythm of their reads.

But yes, it would be risky. I'd just rather risk a couple big plays than watch them score on 10, 12, 14 play drives. We'd get some negative plays as well, which just didn't happen on Sunday. But I tend to try to fix problems with more aggressiveness, which is admittedly not always the best option.

We also may have gotten a couple big hits on Jackson by forcing him into quicker reads, which may have gotten them out of their game plan.

Last edited:

Interesting break down on the Brady - Edelman long pass.

That could have also just been a response to the unbalanced line, though.
Absolutely could be. Was the Sam playing close to the line? That might be a tip off

Absolutely could be. Was the Sam playing close to the line? That might be a tip off
I’d assume the answer would be yes, but I’d have to see the actual plays. Open question- is there anyone reading this thread that needs an explanation for why the DL would shift like that in response to an unbalanced OL and why the Sam would cheat up in such a circumstance?

Ultimately, the execution needs to be better. They were really getting blasted early on and wore down after a second wind in the middle of the game because of the sheer amount of time the Ravens possessed the ball.

I saw Lazar pointing to this yesterday.

While it is interesting stuff what always puzzles me is how coaches or even the armchair experts set everything perfectly up by explaining whats going on but then essentially leave out the final act of their own carefully made content which resolves it all: an explanation what could have been done to counter what the opponents were doing.

From that point of view.. anyone have insight into it ?
Roman is as qualified to build a run game as anyone. He's JH's running game Yoda. Used to coach TEs which is heavy all over the place. Seemingly both him & the Ravens have been building towards this for a while. All the while everyone else was focusing on stopping the pass & traditional QBs.
I mentioned the other might but Balt played at peak level. It'll be hard for anyone to stop them at that level. Again They have most unqiue running game in a long time. Multidimensional, w a lot of power. The power was easy to recognize but they can run anything. Easily the most equipped team to attack you that way. And a guy like Roman has been waiting for a guy like Jackson forever.

IOW when their on like that a lot of trail & error.

One of the reasons I brought up tite during the week was it would allow us to 1)clog up A/B gaps but essentially its takes the read away from Lamar if played correctly.
2) doesn't require a full box

Back to 1
I mentioned Balt being unqiue. They are in many ways but they dont mind going up against a stacked box bc their built around bully ball. Dont mind getting heavy & after the 1st level of defense there is no real 2nd level.

Another thing they did which they dont mind was let Lamar read/take on DL'm. It allows some of their best players to get in space immediately & do what they do best. Bully. It's similar to a RB having to make 1 guy miss before hitting his convoy. Lamar has a big advantage, has been doing this a while & again the reward is huge.

So if you play w the strict intentions on certain d & d, controlled aggression which we did at times, tite could take away at times as well. Balt feasted on tite during at least one play the other night I know that. Its certainly not perfect & we might not have the best personnel for it but we could have tried a variation of that. Its risky bc again, obviously you're conceding pass rush but against Lamar you need assassins on the edges to really beat their Ts & him so I definitely wouldn't mind trading off on some plays. Most, zone, IZ/OZ, read is to engage & get you to commit or become over aggressive.

You can also run this from a 34 look as well. Have two 3T w a shaded NT or two 4i & a shade.

I like this in theory bc we have some dogs in the secondary that dont mind getting dirty. You'll need your entire team to give a big time performance all around. Again going back to everyone playing together & on the same page.

Usually you'll have a corner/trap corner w eyes on the QB at all times for a run. We could have changed that I guess to make sure their never outside for example or always outside if you prefer. Just to give you some peace of mind if you dont have a spy or don't want one fprnwe reason.

Essentially the B gap is the most important gap when playing a team like Balt. You have to account for it every play bc the running game always wants to go through, exploit that gap.

One other look that is risky would be an attacking 335 w 3S. You're playing man so again its risky & daring the QB to beat you but it allows us to have our best players on the field (Lbs/Dbs) & lets do what they do best. We could take off a LB & keep JJ out there as well.

One other thing that is simple been brought up here & online.
1)Pats DL'm weren't in all out fight mode. That's exactly what the Ravens do. Fight you. You HAVE to hit first & decisive. Sounds simple it is but we were just too relaxed out there.
2)I said it the other day but our Lbs had their worst game by far. Another capt obvious but they were on hold half the game. Literally froze at times. These are some of the best in the game. Just not what we're used to.

Bill is focused on this week. W an eye on next week but absolutely has **** up his sleeve for this. We did throw a ton at them from a scheme standpoint but definitely not everything.

Great learning tape for the future for sure.

Very curious on personnel groupings... They spoke about moving to 4 dlineman... When did that happen.. how many snaps...

Also curious if we ever went 4dl and 4 lbs (4-6)within the 20s sine we have corners that can man up.

This game also made me think of obi and JoJuan

@reamer We definitely could have used Vita Vea!! I thought of him watching us but he's an animal. Been playing vg & exactly the DL we need (also what everyone thought Shelton would be) Dude is a freak check him out running around on A22

Tite became popular in 2017 after Iowa St used it & got great results while keeping a light box.

Saban calls tite, mint. Believe he prefers 4i 0 4i in odd looks. Smart runs variations.

OK St ran it in 2016 w a 34 I believe. Texas runs it as well.

If you're playing in the B12 you definitely expect to see it or variations of it. People will make fun of me for watching but it's worth it at times for the creative looks you'll see compating those offenses.

Heres a odd look

I’d assume the answer would be yes, but I’d have to see the actual plays. Open question- is there anyone reading this thread that needs an explanation for why the DL would shift like that in response to an unbalanced OL and why the Sam would cheat up in such a circumstance?

Yes. I'm assuming that the DL shifts to match, but why change the Sam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down