PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

Pats QB Room in for 2024

cmasspatsfan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reactions
I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think any of the vet QBs are anything special other than Cousins, and I both think it's unlikely Cousins will be available and I don't think he's good enough to take a team to the promise land. I would take him as the Alex Smith type until we find a Mahomes, but ultimately, there are very few vet QBs who change teams and win a Super Bowl.

I think you just keep drafting until you find your guy unless a Drew Brees falls into your lap.
Wouldn't count on finding a Mahomes, those guys don't come by very often, we'll probably never find another TB either, we just need somebody capable of executing especially when the game is on the line.

mike_usagisan

Staff member
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Wouldn't count on finding a Mahomes, those guys don't come by very often, we'll probably never find another TB either, we just need somebody capable of executing especially when the game is on the line.
I guess I meant having a capable vet for a year or so until we find the rookie that's worth getting and investing in the future rather than having to take one like we did the Mac year. I'm not saying they have to be Mahomes. They can be a Hurt, Allen, Burrows. Someone who will be the face of the franchise for 12-15 years.

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
The QB is going to be taken high in the first round, there will s no doubt in my mind about that.

I’m done with Mac Jones. I originally had him returning, now I want him gone, same with Zappe. Neither is good enough to play in this league.

I agree that they will try to bring in a veteran QB who has proven themself in this league. I originally thought it could be a Garrapolo, butbyoungavevto bring in two if you sign him, unless you want to start the rookie.
I really don’t expect that they’re sold on getting the QB of the future as a high first round pick,

we are all done with McCorkle Jones. And he was a high first round draft pick. That’s the point. A high first round pick is still a crap shoot.

that's why I think Harrison is a much better bet as a first round pick. And the winning QB strategy is signing an established vet plus drafting a developmental prospect. That way there’s at least a glimmer of hope for a playoff run even if 5he draft pick busts.

taking a QB high in the first round and missing will result in the same result we got from Corky.

vicspats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reactions
I don’t expect a vet QB to be the Second Coming of TB12, or to transform the team into a Lombardi winner the day he arrives. I’m looking for the Alex Smith type you suggest, as the starter to allow a rookie to learn how to be a starting NFL QB.

Problem with just drafting until you find your guy is it‘s a boom or bust strategy with odds stacked to bust. The rookies are under the gun from day one, no chance to learn the job before they are thrown into the fire. I think the real reason so many first round QBs bust is that they’re not given any chance to have a learning curve. Thats why I’d like to see a veteran even if he’s not HOF bound he’ll give the rookie a chance for some training before the pass-fail exam.
That’s why I’m liking Nix a lot. He’s not a kid. Most definitely changed from his earlier Auburn days. Think him and Odunze would make a nice couple… of draft picks!

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
I really don’t expect that they’re sold on getting the QB of the future as a high first round pick,

we are all done with McCorkle Jones. And he was a high first round draft pick. That’s the point. A high first round pick is still a crap shoot.

that's why I think Harrison is a much better bet as a first round pick. And the winning QB strategy is signing an established vet plus drafting a developmental prospect. That way there’s at least a glimmer of hope for a playoff run even if 5he draft pick busts.

taking a QB high in the first round and missing will result in the same result we got from Corky.

If they don’t take a QB with that pick I’m turning them off. It’s hard enough to watch as it is, I have no intention of going back to the old days of sucking for year after year.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions

You mean like the playoff teams in the AFC? K.C., Buffalo, Cincy when Burrows is healthy, Miami, Baltimore, Jacksonville All first round picks, 5 of the 6 high 1st round picks. A top 5 pick is your best shot at a franchise QB, and that is abundantly clear.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Thank God Will Grier’s back in the fold :whistle:

is that crazy enough for ya'? jack nicholson GIF by hoppip
House Democrat GIF by Creative Courage
Bill Belichick Wink GIF by New England Patriots

Last edited:

Wozzy

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
Get a clean break from Mac, move him at the draft for an old kicking tee.

Bring back Zappe, Grier and a first round pick. Let the older guys play until the rookie is ready and takes the job.

The process is the same for every team.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions
You mean like the playoff teams in the AFC? K.C., Buffalo, Cincy when Burrows is healthy, Miami, Baltimore, Jacksonville All first round picks, 5 of the 6 high 1st round picks. A top 5 pick is your best shot at a franchise QB, and that is abundantly clear.
I tend to agree. Deep class though. If they don’t go QB with their first I would hope they can move up back into the first for their QB.

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reactions
Bring back Zappe, Grier and a first round pick. Let the older guys play until the rookie is ready and takes the job.
I see your logic. A year of Zappe and Grier could net us the first overall pick! Who do you have in mind for 2025?

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1

Wozzy

Reactions
I see your logic. A year of Zappe and Grier could net us the first overall pick! Who do you have in mind for 2025?
I said let the older guys play until the rookie is ready. The rookie might be ready out of preseason.

Zappe or Grier could win games and keep them in it until the rookie is ready.

No matter what, if you draft a rookie QB in the upcoming draft you need a vet player to bridge to the rookie. You get that right?

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions

Eh I wouldn't group McCorkle with the "high picks"... he was pick #15 and 5th QB off the board in what now looks like a not-so-great QB class. In 2022 pick #15 was Kenyon Green who had a subpar rookie season last year and was injured this season so yeah that's not a great start to his career. The 5th QB off the board in 22 was... Bailey Zappe. Nuff said.

You're right nothing is guaranteed in the draft. Case in point: Zach Wilson. He was a high first round pick.

State

Reactions
I’m surprised Penix isn’t really on anyone’s radar. I wouldn’t mind they grab him then move back up at the bottom of the first and grab Odunze.
This is EXACTLY what I think they should do.

Penix is a significantly more talented JimmyG. Four years of major injuries is the huge red flag.

Odunze is big and competitive. Really becomes WR1 for us.

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Need a left tackle
Then QB top of 2nd round
They will be picking 4th or 5th

vicspats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reactions
This is EXACTLY what I think they should do.

Penix is a significantly more talented JimmyG. Four years of major injuries is the huge red flag.

Odunze is big and competitive. Really becomes WR1 for us.
I’ll Be honest , as the college season goes on I definitely like Nix better. Penix has a huge arm but over throws guys a lot, Nix plays more within his capabilities, plus has the scrambling abilities. Caught a bunch of his games when he was in Auburn and he wasn’t great. Another plus maybe is getting Nix as an older player?

palialka

On the Game Day Roster
Reactions
Rather see him play than Crappe Zappe smurf and McCorkle.
Yeah me too…we already know Mac and Zappe aren’t part of the team’s plans going forward so we might as well kick the tires on Grier and give him some run.

Most likely Grier sucks otherwise he wouldn’t be QB3 on this team, but he can’t honestly be that much worse than the other two so why not give him a shot.

Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best
Wolf’s Ascension Hopefully Will Help Patriots Fix One Key Problem Moving Forward
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2 – Post College All-Star Games
Felger and Lombardi Interview: Two Sides Argue “The Laziest Narrative” on Belichick