PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Wednesday 11/29/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
When prior rookie kickers that became all time greats here missed several kicks, do we know if they brought it competition? Anyone who thinks the book is written on rookie kickers 10 games into their first year is mistaken. Gost never cracked above 90% until his 8th year in the league, then he kicked above that in 4 of his next 5.

Nick Folk, seasons 3 thru 6:

18 of 28, 64%
then 76%, 76%, 77%.
It was only after his 7th season that he became a dependable kicker.

Ryalnd kicks the ball true, he has the makings of an excellent kicker, with plenty of leg. He's going thru typical rookie stuff for the position.
BB was pretty adamant in his presser regarding the miss also what does working out 5 kicker do for your rookie kicker's psyche??

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
Zappe should be taking the first team snaps in practice. If I’m Jonathan Kraft and I see a continuation of the failed shared Corky Mac/Zappe first team snaps, I have steam coming out of my ears.

Corky Mac is broken, damaged goods. He should not be the starter against the Chargers. Bill needs to make that clear.

But he’s not.

Steve102

You were going to say something clever?
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Zappe should be taking the first team snaps in practice. If I’m Jonathan Kraft and I see a continuation of the failed shared Corky Mac/Zappe first team snaps, I have steam coming out of my ears.

Corky Mac is broken, damaged goods. He should not be the starter against the Chargers. Bill needs to make that clear.

But he’s not.
How do you know he's not? How do you know Jonathan and RKK don't have full knowledge over what's going on? If both QBs suck, then what the hell is he (Bill) going to do? Yes, I know the GM is the same guy, irrelevant now. Just because Bill grunts and one word answers the media, what makes you think that's how he answers the Krafts?

Both QBs are hopeless. The play would be to bring in someone off the street, but clearly they aren't going to go get Foles/Wentz/Ryan or anyone else.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
BB was pretty adamant in his presser regarding the miss also what does working out 5 kicker do for your rookie kicker's psyche??
Kickers have to have confidence in themselves. If they're going to spiral down in these moments, imagine what happens at the end of a playoff game. They need nerves of steel.

Just think about Adam Vinatieri missing 2 short field goals in the 2003 Super Bowl. So you send him back out there for the long game winner. And he does it. That's the mentality you need.

I feel the same way about Mac. If he's unraveling 3 years into his career when the stakes for the team are relatively low, how could you trust him in the 2nd round of the playoffs when the defense has turned the pass rush up a notch?

We've seen both Brady and Mahomes wither under those circumstances. Now imagine Mac.

Last edited:

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions

But he’s not.
Why are we spending this much energy on this? It's irrelevant. Im sure no players are spending as much on this issue as us. Every player knows about the QB situation.

Bourne Again Christian

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
We know Zappe and Mac are having a bad year, we don’t know about Grier and Cunningham.
I think the tank is on and it’s a orchestrated tank that once we saw how had the offense was we were in full agreement.

Not improving the team at the bye spoke volumes.
Bill, Robert knows they need a new QB and he’s not even in the NFL yet.
It will be Caleb Williams or Drake Maye if the tank keeps rolling!

Bourne Again Christian

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
We know Zappe and Mac are having a bad year, we don’t know about Grier and Cunningham.
I think the tank is on and it’s a orchestrated tank that once we saw how had the offense was we were in full agreement.

Not improving the team at the bye spoke volumes.
Bill, Robert knows they need a new QB and he’s not even in the NFL yet.
It will be Caleb Williams or Drake Maye if the tank keeps rolling!
If they keep Bill bring back Josh Mcdaniels I can support that.

captain stone

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions
I'm not sure I see that. Trading for a player and giving up a draft pick is a guy daring to be fired. Or cutting a player, if they're talented enough. Not naming a starter shouldn't move the firing needle as it doesn't impact anything for next year.

Jackoff Jones says Hello from sunny Las Vegas.

Ridding themselves of him with OVER TWO FULL YEARS remaining on his ROOKIE contract, while receiving ZERO compensation for him, should've been a decision left to the New GM & HC.

mike_usagisan

Staff member
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Jackoff Jones says Hello from sunny Las Vegas.

Ridding themselves of him with OVER TWO FULL YEARS remaining on his ROOKIE contract, while receiving ZERO compensation for him, should've been a decision left to the New GM & HC.
Yep, I included that part specifically. If Bill was going to get fired midseason, that's what he'd get canned for. The OP said the not naming a starting QB is flirting with a firing offense, which I don't think rises to that level. And since Bill wasn't fired for the Jack Jones thing, he's certainly not getting fired for not naming Zappe or Grier the starter.

State

Reactions

sb1

Reactions

If this is what it looks like then yes please! Malik's short preseason stint has been the highlight of the season to date. Nuff said.

Last edited:

sb1

Reactions
Wrong. Only Corky Mac is hopeless. Zappe merely sucks.

It’s a significant difference. Zappe afforded the opportunity Corky Mac has been given might actually become serviceable.
Thank goodness rationality is prevailing.
Nah time's up on both of them. Both of them won't get any better and they should and will be sent packing after the season. Take out the trash!

Last edited:

State

Reactions
Nah time's up on both of them. Both of them won't get any better and they should and will be sent packing after the season. Take out the trash!
You may be correct. I just hope it’s put to the test. Bench the broken vessel. Let Zappe get the rest of the season. He may prove to be a competent backup QB in the league. My expectations are low.

sb1

Reactions
You may be correct. I just hope it’s put to the test. Bench the broken vessel. Let Zappe get the rest of the season. He may prove to be a competent backup QB in the league. My expectations are low.
It sounds like he's benched which is a good start.

Real fan 02

Reactions
So now you're admitting that you wasted a Fourth Rounder on a egregious Trade-up on day 3 last Draft that a lot of us hated now you try out Five Kickers unreal. The proof is right there BB have completely Lost it! :mad:
We may finally get our wish and see Cunningham.. reported he's taking snaps behind Zapp. I hope Zapp gets tight hamstrings and can't play so we can see Cunningham . Mac took 0 snaps

Real fan 02

Reactions
It sounds like he's benched which is a good start.
I just want to see Malik at this point. I know he's not a finished product... but...

sb1

Reactions
I just want to see Malik at this point. I know he's not a finished product... but...
He got Lamar's attention in the preseason. I'm not expecting much but the kid was really fun to watch hopefully he can bring more of that on Sunday.
1701291991448.png

sb1

Reactions
We may finally get our wish and see Cunningham.. reported he's taking snaps behind Zapp. I hope Zapp gets tight hamstrings and can't play so we can see Cunningham . Mac took 0 snaps
That's for the best both for him and the team.

I think Cunningham is playing regardless. Can't imagine why they'd want to play Zappe all the way through they already know who he is they will not learn anything new or anything that moves the needle on his future with the team.

Monday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 2/26: News and Notes
Patriots News 2-25, “The Dynasty” Left Much Out, Matthew Slater
Mayo Sets Groundwork, Offers More Transparency With New Staff
Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best