PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp- Tuesday August 23rd

Time to start preparing our hearts that this season is not going to be a bounce-back to the 2-decade long expectations, but a reminder of the 2020 experience. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of frustration from this team. And there will be no mistaking it this time, it'll completely on the fault of BB. He's losing his mind thinking he can run this like a JV team with no true offensive system and leader. His personnel decisions will cost Mac & Co a few years of their careers.

Fred from Darthmouth? Is that you???

I think what we've seen so far is that the most disappointing unit on the team has been the O-line. What is the cause? Perhaps a rookie LG, injuries, inconsistent play, whatever the reason I think they have to have better play from those players. No running game and Mac having little time to throw will make the offense look anemic.
Mac is fine, that perfect 45 yard throw to Agholor is just one example of what he can do if given time. We now have more depth at the wr position than we've had in years, our Rb's are really good and our top two tight ends can play (Jonnu having an excellent camp, and we know what Hunter can do).

We just need for our O-line to play better. Hopefully, that time is coming soon!!!
Last year to start the season the O-Line was one of the most disappointing units as well. They didn't know who the hell to block, missed assignments, false starts, holds... just a mess. Then they put it together to became one of the better units in the NFL.

Execution was the issue last year, not talent... and that seems to be the case again in 2022. Ever since Scar left this unit has been spotty, firing their line coach right before 2021 because he wouldn't get the jab probably didn't help either. Time to decide whether predominately zone blocking is worth the headache, they looked pretty good agains the Giants and Panthers running their old gap scheme.

Last year to start the season the O-Line was one of the most disappointing units as well. They didn't know who the hell to block, missed assignments, false starts, holds... just a mess. Then they put it together to became one of the better units in the NFL.

Execution was the issue last year, not talent... and that seems to be the case again in 2022. Ever since Scar left this unit has been spotty, firing their line coach right before 2021 because he wouldn't get the jab probably didn't help either. Time to decide whether predominately zone blocking is worth the headache, they looked pretty good agains the Giants and Panthers running their old gap scheme.
Implementing a ZBS is a VERY big deal and what's happening shouldn't be that surprising IMO. It's major surgery for an offense.

I wouldn't expect the team to just completely ditch the old way and start week 1 with an entirely new offense. They'll probably bring in the new scheme very slowly bit by bit as the season goes on.

We need to keep this graphic and award it daily/weekly/monthly/yearly to the most deserving poster !
I used to work with this guy who we called VP of Gloom and Doom. Never optimistic. Always negative. Always though his people sucked/underperformed. Always crapped on the quality of the software.

His wife "changed teams". That might have had something to do with it.

Relax folks....still 19 days from playing the Fish down in Miami....and THEN another 18 weeks of the season....

I'll press the panic button if the Pats are 1-4 after 5 weeks.
The good news is we cant do any worse than we did against Miami last season. (Unless we meet them in the playoffs and get 3 Ls...o_O)

Implementing a ZBS is a VERY big deal and what's happening shouldn't be that surprising IMO. It's major surgery for an offense.

I wouldn't expect the team to just completely ditch the old way and start week 1 with an entirely new offense. They'll probably bring in the new scheme very slowly bit by bit as the season goes on.
They've always run zone in spurts but obviously they're practicing it in bulk because they want to utilize it more.

I agree, it's not something they'll ever make a full conversation to and it's not an easy thing for a group to learn.

Reactions: sb1
I don't see the comparison to 2020. That team had the worst QB and passing offense in the league and the defense couldn't stop anyone. There was little talent on both sides of the ball. They weren't a mediocre team they were really a bad team who you'd expect to get worse as the season went on and that's exactly what happened. There was no reason to hope for anything and the future was really bleak. It's why I don't consider it a rebuilding year since they had nothing to build on.

Now the 2022 team while not a Super Bowl contender does has talent, there's hope, and there's a good foundation which they're rebuilding on and BB is still here even if I'm not sold on the rest of the coaching staff quite yet. I don't think this is the finished product... I think they're two years away from that.

Damn lots of folks headed to IR…Perkins and Steuber

Time to start preparing our hearts that this season is not going to be a bounce-back to the 2-decade long expectations, but a reminder of the 2020 experience. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of frustration from this team. And there will be no mistaking it this time, it'll completely on the fault of BB. He's losing his mind thinking he can run this like a JV team with no true offensive system and leader. His personnel decisions will cost Mac & Co a few years of their careers.
you must be one of those guys in the game day thread.

Realizing you shouldn't expect peak dynasty dominance from this year's team is good. And... I'm just not going to touch the rest of what you said.

lol, he must...I just don't see it with him. What do I know though...let's just keep him off the field on defense and let him stick to special teams.

We have enough of those - Slater, Bethel, Cody Davis/Schooler - already... I don't know if I want him even on the Practice Squad...

I think what we've seen so far is that the most disappointing unit on the team has been the O-line. What is the cause? Perhaps a rookie LG, injuries, inconsistent play, whatever the reason I think they have to have better play from those players
Seeing the exact same story as last year.

A pu-pu platter of new positions and injuries destroying continuity, poor effort and concentration, "playing into shape", less playing time given the shorter pre-season, and add in yet ANOTHER new coach and some new schematic elements and that is never a recipe for quick and readily apparent success.

Anyone know what happened to Perkins? I must’ve missed something. That puts him out the whole year, right?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back