PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Predicted to Sign Former Pro Bowl Quarterback to Replace Tom Brady discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish everyone would stop talking about the dead money and cap hit. It's not going away no matter what happens, it's up-front bonus money that was amortized. Has no bearing on Brady's 2020 salary or that of his replacement if he walks. The Pats will find a way to create cap space if they are tight.

I believe Brady is our best option for the next couple of seasons, but if he leaves, then I think the best replacement would be Nick Foles.
Foles could be interesting
I’m still in the throw Stidham and Mariota to the wolves and see who comes out on top camp.

Most of these QBs mentioned will want to be paid high. Bridgewater will want to command $20+m. Remember, even Tyrod Taylor earned a $18m contract. Not to mention Foles. So you pay these guys what you were paying Brady. & then, these guys can't be successful unless you have the offensive weaponry out there.

What would the optics be if you paid these lesser QBs as much as you were paying Brady, and then you gave them more weapons than Brady?

It makes absolutely no sense.

I wish everyone would stop talking about the dead money and cap hit. It's not going away no matter what happens, it's up-front bonus money that was amortized. Has no bearing on Brady's 2020 salary or that of his replacement if he walks. The Pats will find a way to create cap space if they are tight. Yes it would be nice to sign TB by next month and be able to spread it over 2 seasons, but either way they have to eat the full amount.

I believe Brady is our best option for the next couple of seasons, but if he leaves, then I think the best replacement would be Nick Foles.

The dead money all hits the cap this year if Brady's not on the roster, whereas only half hits this year and half next if he is on the roster. So it definitely factors in if you believe that a QB you could sign this year is a long-term solution. Yes, it limits your options in 2020 but it means there's more space in 2021, which is likely when we're going to see a new CBA. It's not a deciding factor but it's part of the decision.

I get that this is a Patriots message board and that speculation about the Patriots QB for next season is a really hot topic. I just have no interest in the speculation. I started reading this thread despite my misgivings and should have just done what I wanted to do - ignore it. Now I've contributed to this nonsense. Shame on me.
Totally agree. I don’t mind posts from Curran, Shefter etc. but some moron from Heavy.com

What in the world do you people see in Bridgewater that I’m not seeing? He’s a B- QB with a low ceiling.

The dead money all hits the cap this year if Brady's not on the roster, whereas only half hits this year and half next if he is on the roster. So it definitely factors in if you believe that a QB you could sign this year is a long-term solution. Yes, it limits your options in 2020 but it means there's more space in 2021, which is likely when we're going to see a new CBA. It's not a deciding factor but it's part of the decision.
I would say it's part of the problem but not really part of any decision or negotiation, except to create some urgency for everyone involved if both sides are leaning toward him staying anyway. If he's gonna stay, then it'll happen before this deadline cause neither side is dumb enough to inflict that harm on the team unnecessarily.

But I don't see the dead money split as something that would cause the team to offer more or Brady to accept less. They have to come to a meeting of the minds independent of that. And if Brady has already decided to leave, then we have to work around a large dead money cap hit this coming year while trying to decide on a QB.

if Brady leaves there are other 2 QBs in the Saints roster I'm more interested in.

Bridgewater is serviceable but he is a backup QB.

if Brady leaves there are other 2 QBs in the Saints roster I'm more interested in.

...what

Bridgewater threw more passes in one game last season than Taysom Hill has in his career!

Even at 14 million you're still at 27 million with Brady's dead cap. So that wouldn't make sense to me either.

They are either going to compete for a championship or not. If they are then Brady is the only choice imo. A bridge guy gets you nowhere.

If they think Stidham is the next guy then a bridge guy is just wasted cap space that could be used to get additional weapons to support the young QB.

Either way a bridge guy makes little sense to me.
I hear you and I agree with you, but the team may decide that the bigger picture is more important than 2020 alone. In other words, they’ll have to deal with Brady’s cap hit either way if he doesn’t re-sign, so I’m not quite as sure as you are that it would be as limiting for the next year or two in terms of the decision they’d make on who to replace him.

I know that we’re getting a lot of misinformation, but it stands to reason that they would consider a veteran as a replacement, so maybe that report has some truth to it.

There have been worse QBs than Bridgewater, that have gone on to win Super Bowls. Even Peyton Manning in his last year. That being said, their teams were stacked in certain areas, Manning, Trent Dilfer & Brad Johnson had elite defenses. The Pats would HAVE TO surround Bridgewater with more explosive offensive weapons than they currently have (they have none). The crazy thing is they can probably do that, IF Brady DOESN'T sign. If the rumors are true that Brady wants 30 mill or more, AND he wants a big upgrade in the offense, well that's virtually impossible if they give Brady the 30 mill.

That being said, IF Brady walks, and IF Bridgewater took 15 mill, they can spend on weapons. They could probably sign more of their own defensive free agents as well. Brady signs for 30 mill, kiss Thuney, McCourty and Van Noy goodbye. Van Noy probably walks anyway though, he wants BIG bucks,

Until TB signs elsewhere, I'd rather not think of this subject.

If you don't bring back Brady, and you're just looking for a transitory QB, why does Bridgewater sign on to that?

Because his name is literally a Bridge-QB

There have been worse QBs than Bridgewater, that have gone on to win Super Bowls. Even Peyton Manning in his last year. That being said, their teams were stacked in certain areas, Manning, Trent Dilfer & Brad Johnson had elite defenses. The Pats would HAVE TO surround Bridgewater with more explosive offensive weapons than they currently have (they have none). The crazy thing is they can probably do that, IF Brady DOESN'T sign. If the rumors are true that Brady wants 30 mill or more, AND he wants a big upgrade in the offense, well that's virtually impossible if they give Brady the 30 mill.

That being said, IF Brady walks, and IF Bridgewater took 15 mill, they can spend on weapons. They could probably sign more of their own defensive free agents as well. Brady signs for 30 mill, kiss Thuney, McCourty and Van Noy goodbye. Van Noy probably walks anyway though, he wants BIG bucks,

Bridgewater at 15 is 15+13 (Brady dead cap)=28 million. So I don't see all the additional cap space you seem to think they'll have to sign all the free agents etc...

I'd much rather Tom go to the Raiders than watch him struggle as a shell of his former self here with an average supporting cast. Which sadly is what's in store if he stays. He will be FORTY-THREE YEARS OLD, not 37 or even 41. It's typical for the competitive spirit to outlive the body's ability to keep pace with guys like Brady, who probably should have retired after Super Bowl 53 if not for his TB12 ambitions. Let him go now, because one or two more years with the Pats will just be frustrating for him and for us.

For me, the last straw was that INSANELY STUPID trolling Hulu commercial during the Super Bowl. If he's going to stoop that low playing with our emotions toward lining his pockets with more $$$ to pile atop the mountains of money he already has, it's hard to take much else very seriously -- ESPECIALLY a bank-breaking contract to keep him for a meaningless swan song. I'd rather not see his great legacy further tarnished on the way out.

His legacy is fine. His game is fine. His commercial was fine. You're railing at the clouds.

Bridgewater at 15 is 15+13 (Brady dead cap)=28 million. So I don't see all the additional cap space you seem to think they'll have to sign all the free agents etc...
So if they sign Brady PRIOR to free agency, it’s like 6.75 mill a year vs the cap regardless. So you’re willing to give 30 mill + 6.75 against the the cap this year and next ? Leaving us with what ? 10-12 mill cap left ?

If he leaves this year, I believe it’s one time cap hit this year of 13.5.

It’s a poison pill no matter what they do. Bad cap situation no matter what. IF Belichick hadn’t drafted so poorly the last few years, the weapons would’ve been there no matter which QB leads this team.

So if they sign Brady PRIOR to free agency, it’s like 6.75 mill a year vs the cap regardless. So you’re willing to give 30 mill + 6.75 against the the cap this year and next ? Leaving us with what ? 10-12 mill cap left ?

It’s a poison pill no matter what they do. Bad cap situation no matter what. IF Belichick hadn’t drafted so poorly the last few years, the weapons would’ve been there no matter which QB leads this team.

You are making believe that Brady's contract is $30M of salary with no bonus money. That isn't the way NFL contracts are structured. Almost all contracts include bonus money, resulting in continuing to defer cap hits into the future.
======
The patriots currently have about $100M DEFERRED into future years. $13.5M for Brady isn't a lot. Also, it is unreasonable to believe that we'll sign a QB with our deferring significant money (whether his AAV is $15M, $20M, 25M or $30M). A Brady contract will NOT have a $36.75M 2020 cap hit. That would be malpractice by those writing the contract.

It would be much more likely that a Brady contract would include a fake third year, deferring $10M or more into 2022. BTW, the same would likely apply to a 2-year bridge QB contract.

Last edited:
You are making believe that Brady's contract is $30M of salary with no bonus money. That isn't the way NFL contracts are structured. Almost all contracts include bonus money, resulting in continuing to defer cap hits into the future.
======
The patriots currently have about $100M DEFERRED into future years. $13.5M for Brady isn't a lot. Also, it is unreasonable to believe that we'll sign a QB with our deferring significant money (whether his AAV is $15M, $20M, 25M or $30M). A Brady contract will NOT have a $36.75M 2020 cap hit. That would be malpractice by those writing the contract.

It would be much more likely that a Brady contract would include a fake third year, deferring $10M or more into 2022. BTW, the same would likely apply to a 2-year bridge QB contract.
Thanks for this Miguel ! So glad a cap expert is also a Patsfans member. Makes it so much easier to understand the situation.

Thanks for this Miguel ! So glad a cap expert is also a Patsfans member. Makes it so much easier to understand the situation.

I thought Miguel was @Miguel.

We'll see but I don't see the value of signing a bridge QB. If we're going to go into a rebuild mode then do it with a rookie.

I'm for Brady returning to make another run at it. Which I think makes the most sense.

I'm ok with going with a rookie QB and watching him grow. It offers the most cap space over the next few years to help the young guy out with. If he sucks it will lead to higher draft picks to use on another rookie QB.

I'm completely opposed to a bridge guy that eats up valuable cap space and gets the team nowhere. Except possibly lower draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes