PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot's players still open to Antonio Brown reunion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing money *and* cap space.

Anything NE pays him on a new contract will count against the cap above and beyond the cap hit from the first contract.
No it won’t. His first five million is already accounted for. When you resign players it does not double what you spend on them cap wise. We did it with D Thomas this year all ready.

He’s a UFA. He can sign with anybody right now. (If signing him is such a no-brainer one might ask oneself why no team, especially teams on the playoff bubble, has signed him.)

Whether for against the pipe dream of him coming back,. that's a good point. Why has nobody signed him? But I think you have an even better point regarding cap/money. I have not seen a single person refute the cap implication you've noted multiple times over the weeks. How do we re-sign AB when the 6m on this year's cap is etched in stone (even if the Patriots win the arbitration, that relief will not be until next year)? The only conceivable plan is he accepts vet minimum and the Patriots drop the non payment on previous contract? IMHO that seems pretty far fetched.
And for the record I wouldn't be completely against re-signing AB though A, it ain't happenin, B. his behavior suggests he has impulse control issues that point to a high percentage chance of renewed troubles once he's back (I don't dispute he is very much allowed presumption of innocence - I say even the behavior not to do with the civil court and the one troubling tweet still suggests a major impulse control issue).

No it won’t. His first five million is already accounted for. When you resign players it does not double what you spend on them cap wise. We did it with D Thomas this year all ready.
No. We were hit for a signing bonus. I’d he is resigned we are hit for any new signing bonus plus salary same as any other player we would sign.

I still miss Hart Lee Dykes..:(:(:(:(

I still miss Hart Lee Dykes..:(:(:(:(

Gettin' old Senor Joe Kerr, where's your sense of adventure? AB is more entertaining than a barrel of monkeys. He makes ol' Blinded In A Bar Fight Hart Lee & Kitchen Incident Irving look duller than dirt. Although now that I think about it, if they had social media and reality shows back in the day...

...never mind, carry on.

Nope. That's not how it works. Every contract stands alone. For cap purposes each separate contract for a given player is as if you signed a different player. Signing and cutting Brown, say, five times hits the cap the same as signing Brown, cutting him, then signing Marrone, cutting him, then signing Brun, cutting him, then signing Hnědý, cutting him, and then signing Ruskea.

What might be confusing you is that some contracts are no-bonus, pure pay-as-you-go. For those contracts the cap hit is exactly equal to the cash money paid. So if the player is only on the team for 3 weeks and only gets paid for those 3 weeks, only those 3 weeks count against the cap.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean this is the killer with Brown and any argument about signing him. You have a guy who's a Hall of Famer in his prime, yet unlike, say, Kareem Hunt (a good but not special running back who was taped kicking his girlfriend) he hasn't been signed by anyone. Pretty clear he's not available as a football player right now.

Actually, it's clear that he is available right now. The question is whether or not Goodell would risk battling the NFLPA over AB, if a team were to sign him or try to sign him. The issue is not whether AB can be signed.

We're looking at another Kaepernick situation, in that a whole lot of people think they know what they obviously don't know.

Bb, please sign the beast!!!!

we desperately need this guy.

Actually, it's clear that he is available right now. The question is whether or not Goodell would risk battling the NFLPA over AB, if a team were to sign him or try to sign him. The issue is not whether AB can be signed.

We're looking at another Kaepernick situation, in that a whole lot of people think they know what they obviously don't know.

I think that's well said, however and specifically for the Patriots, how do we sign him when he's already on the hook for our 2019 cap, that cap space can't be used to sign him, and we have crap for cap space available. Why would AB even consider a minimal contract unless he just wants to play for the Patriots and the Patriots are willing to just pay his previous contract without argument.

That's, IMHO, the question that makes signing him notably problematic even assuming the NFLPA could keep PR Roger at bay through the super bowl, and he could be trusted not to cause PR trouble once back on the team.

Whether for against the pipe dream of him coming back,. that's a good point. Why has nobody signed him? But I think you have an even better point regarding cap/money. I have not seen a single person refute the cap implication you've noted multiple times over the weeks. How do we re-sign AB when the 6m on this year's cap is etched in stone (even if the Patriots win the arbitration, that relief will not be until next year)? The only conceivable plan is he accepts vet minimum and the Patriots drop the non payment on previous contract? IMHO that seems pretty far fetched.
And for the record I wouldn't be completely against re-signing AB though A, it ain't happenin, B. his behavior suggests he has impulse control issues that point to a high percentage chance of renewed troubles once he's back (I don't dispute he is very much allowed presumption of innocence - I say even the behavior not to do with the civil court and the one troubling tweet still suggests a major impulse control issue).

This is not about cap space. It can be worked out. Here’s one example just off the top of my head.

AB signs a vet min contract till end of ‘20 and drops the law suit against Pats and Pats pay him his guaranteed amount from original contract of $9m. AB would effectively be signing for $10m (9m + 1m vet min) for rest of this year and next year and be giving up his claim on being paid this year. Pats take a $5m cap hit this year (they have already) and $5m next year.

That’s one example. And we have him for next year too. There are lots of ways to do this.

Last edited:

The league "battling" the NFLPA is like a lion catching a mouse. Brown can absolutely be signed, but no one has done so. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the reason is that teams assume they'd just be paying him to sit on the exempt list.

The other option, of course, is that the whole thing from Brown is an elaborate con job to get paid not to play and signing with a team would require him to actually play football. Which is a possibility, I suppose. It was Kaepernick's MO.

I miss Josh Gordon. :(

I agree. He was effective but not explosive, but considering we were paying him $3m it was good value. I don’t care he was late to a meeting. Better than a punctual Meyers or Gunner or Harry

I decided to catch up on all the AB talk. Nothing much has changed.

Clear as mud.

I decided to catch up on all the AB talk. Nothing much has changed.
Of course not but the delusional are still out there banging the drums.

Is there anyone that believes he wrote even a single word of that post? Come on now lol

That being said, I still want him back on the team.
Is there anyone that believes Kraft wrote a single word of his apology, that was so well crafted, it didn't admit to anything?

That's what millionaires and billionaires do, have experts write stuff for them. I don't see anyone comparing Kraft to a monkey though.

I agree. He was effective but not explosive, but considering we were paying him $3m it was good value. I don’t care he was late to a meeting. Better than a punctual Meyers or Gunner or Harry

The last 20 years of the Patriots Dynasty and the reasons why they have been such a shockingly significant outlier to the rest of the league has completely flown over your head, hasn’t it?

Is there anyone that believes Kraft wrote a single word of his apology, that was so well crafted, it didn't admit to anything?

That's what millionaires and billionaires do, have experts write stuff for them. I don't see anyone comparing Kraft to a monkey though.
Nope.

AB is dead to BB and Kraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes